Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bush says he would have gone to war in 'nam had his unit been called up

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Intolerance, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Intolerance

Intolerance IncGamers Member

Bush says he would have gone to war in 'nam had his unit been called up

Simply hillarious.

source

2. Damascus

Damascus IncGamers Member

Wouldn't he have.... I dunno, been forced to?

3. advil

advil IncGamers Member

who knows. poppy got him in there to begin with. with influence like that, who can say what is and isn't possible. he got an honorable discharge after a huge absence, for example. ;)

4. Intolerance

Intolerance IncGamers Member

Let me do some research and see if I can find a tally of Texas Air National Guardsmen that died (or even served) in Vietnam. This shouldn't take long.

5. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

Yeah, right, he would've gone. :rolleyes: That's why he went AWOL even though his unit never saw VC except on the TV. :D

6. thejdawg2

thejdawg2 IncGamers Member

Wouldn't he have to be with his unit to be called up?

7. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

The National Guard was never called up during the Vietnam war to the best of my knowledge. The NG was a haven for the people (with connections) to sit out the war. America did not force her "fortunate sons" to fight in this conflict. If your draft number was low, you could get a four year deferment (II-a) by going to college (assuming you could afford it). Following that, people like Bush Jr. had Daddy jump them up the huge waiting list to get into the Guard.

Bush just spewed another lie to the American people. His unit was never going to be called up. Although I do not necessarily blame Bush for not wanting to fight in this God-forsaken war, I take issue with his recent statement. While Kerry was risking his butt in the Mekong Delta, Bush was flying obsolete fighters around protecting Texas from an Oklahoma invasion (?).

8. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Hey! Those Okies are an especially tricky people, llad. I should know, one side of the family is from Pawnee.

9. Damascus

Damascus IncGamers Member

That's not the point. He said, basically. "If they told me to go, I would have gone"

Well duh!

10. Nova_Dust

Nova_Dust Banned

I find many similarities between George Bush and Britney Spears.

11. CaptJoe213

CaptJoe213 IncGamers Member

maccool is right, someone has to protect us from the evil hordes of oklahoman invaders that are poised on our borders! lol

12. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

I figured you had some Okie blood in ya Mac! :D

I agree ... Barry Switzer and Bob Stoops' Sooner teams have been invading Dallas and ripping the Longhorns a new one for years and years. ;)

-------------

Back on topic, Bush in 1994 stated this about his position on serving in Vietnam:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4114162/

Jeez, I hate mealy-mouthed politicans.

13. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Hindsight is often whatever you want it to be.

14. Acehigh11

Acehigh11 IncGamers Member

Anybody who believes that line of bull is crazy. Daddy Bush would have greased Dubya's way out of the Guard just as easy and fast as he greased it in if his unit got called to duty. Has anybody heard/read how many strings/ropes had to get pulled to get him into the guard in the first place? Bush was the LAST person the Guard wanted flying planes, but a few phone calls by Daddy, just like everything else Dubya has not accomplished in his life, and the fine young lad was in the pilots seat enjoying a BS 6 year term.

Must be nice to be in the Elite groups huh?? Bush knows and understands what it's like to be in the poor and middle class all right. :scratch:

15. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

Been this way for a long time, I doubt it will change soon, either. Royalty = Capitalist Elite.

Enough money buys anything, humanly possible.

NB :)

16. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Actually, from what I understand, Bush was a perfectly compentent pilot. Of course, he was trained on an out-of-date system. As for the rest of it, we'll never know.

17. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

That's exactly right Mac, we can speculate all we want . . . but we're in the realm of "what ifs" and no one can be certain.

18. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

To all who say he wouldnt have gone. I ask you this. Would you have gone if you were called to vietnam. Yes, most of you would say you would, as he has, because you think you honestly would have, but yet, when actually faced with it, many ran, even though they thought they could have.

Hindsight never works, but even more so, the disecting of hindsight is even worse, because hindsight is already possibly, inaccurate, the disection of it is always opinionated, and thus, about the worst evidence of anything anyone can bring.

19. Smeg Head

Smeg Head IncGamers Member

I should submit this thread to http://www.crank.net for all the absurd conspiracy theories in here.

You all need to quit perpetuating the lie that Pres. Bush was AWOL. There was never anything to it other than lies piled on more lies. He had a deferment to go work on a senatorial campaign during the time he was abscent. That missed time was made up after the campaign was done.

Sen. Kerry risked his butt, then came home and promptly went to work trying to get out people killed. I'll post his list of atrocious votes against the military as soon as I'm done compiling it. It's not something you can do in a single day

EDIT:
    Would I have gone? Yes, provided I could pass the physical. My eyesight is terrible w/o my glasses. It's why I'm not a Marine right now. I already tried to enlist in 1996.

20. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Umm, only Underseer claimed Bush was AWOL. In the other thread, only Michael Moore called Bush a deserter. Talk about conspiracy wackos, you take the conspiracy cake, Smeg. It's a carrot cake with vanilla frosting.

Would I have gone to 'Nam? Not a chance, I'm against haircuts, getting up before dawn and following orders. Plus, I don't look so good in green.

I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say here. It may be the most convoluted sentence ever created in the English language. Your English teacher is crying him/herself to sleep tonight :p