Bush goes anti-***..

Anyee

Diabloii.Net Member
Stevinator said:
In this thread, and the previous one, no one has been able to definitively tell me teh difference between a civil union and a marriage. it seems to me that since civil unions allw all the same rights and responsiblities as a "marriage" then the difference is semantics. I think civil unions get teh same tax breaks and get to see their spouses in teh hopital and all that etc, etc. so why fight for the word marriage? Whatever church oyu get married in is going ot call it a marriage, so there is no "spreate but equal" issue tere...it's merely a different name.

i think some states may not grant equal rights, so that is an issue, but even if bush makes this constitutional amendment, it will set up the precedent of civil unions being the same thing with a different name. We all know it won't end there--even if they're able to pass it.
As I said, to you specifically, civil unions to NOT get the same benefits as marriage. They do not get ANY federal benefits and they are not recognized by all states like marriages are. A civil union in Vermont has no legal weight in any other state of the union thanks to DOMA.

Semantics my ***.

dodomac

Diabloii.Net Member
Anyee said:
As I said, to you specifically, civil unions to NOT get the same benefits as marriage. They do not get ANY federal benefits and they are not recognized by all states like marriages are. A civil union in Vermont has no legal weight in any other state of the union thanks to DOMA.

Semantics my ***.
I second that with a vengeance.