Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Burning Flipside 2008

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LonghornRob, May 29, 2008.

1. LonghornRob

LonghornRob IncGamers Member

Burning Flipside 2008

I went to Burning Flipside last week, and I had a blast. Flipside is a regional version of the large Burning Man festival that takes place eight days of every year in the Black Rock Desert in Nevada. Burning Man attracts up to 40,000 people each year, but Flipside was limited to about 2,400. Wikipedia, as usual, has a very good article on just how Flipside works.

I went out there on Wednesday, a day before it opens, to help set up the infrastructure for all the necessary camps. There were only six other people from my camp out there helping out, and by the time we finished we were too dog tired to set up our own camp. Instead, we hopped in the creek for a while and then got out, got nice and drunk, and went and partied it up with some of the other camps. The next few days were much funner.

Our camp was Beer and Darts. We set up an Irish style pub, complete with walls, a bar, and a door. We brought out seven kegs of beer and served to anyone who wanted some. We also had a beer garten set up, and also had Rock Band going for a couple of the nights. We organized two snowball fights, one being a versus battle with the ISH camp, and the other taking place on the main hill, near the effigy, where anyone could join in. In all, we shaved 1400 pounds of ice, and spent $280 just on the fights themselves.

Flipside is an incredible experience. The gift economy and kindness of everyone present made me feel welcome, and made me not want to come back to reality. My friends and I simply wandered into camp after camp, making friends and listening to their stories. I did sprain my ankle pretty nicely on Friday night, but it didn’t ruin the rest of the trip for me at all. The burning of the effigy on the final night was an incredible sight, too. The one downside to it all was that during the days it was in the 95-102 degree range, and all the energy was sapped right out of us. I couldn’t even bring myself to drink during the day for fear of dehydration. The nights, though, more than made up for the days.

Next year, my friends and I will break away from Beer and Darts and create our own camp. We have yet to decide on the theme of the camp, but initial thoughts are to make it Battle Camp, and have various different kinds of battles with any willing camps, such as snowball fights, watergun fights, pillow fights, drinking contests, etc. I will also be more prepared next year, because I didn’t get my ticket until the Friday before my graduation, five days before I was supposed to head out there. I will definitely bring boots. I can get some pictures up for you guys if you’re interested. I’ve seen some pretty good ones so far.

2. Syxx

Syxx IncGamers Member

Re: Burning Flipside 2008

Hi Longhorn,

Sounds like a fun event. I would mind attending one year.

I can see it now, Jigga at the gate, "Hey dude, got any bacon ?"

hehe
    Syxx

3. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Sounds like hell.

4. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

sounds pretty fun. i would like to go to something like that sometime.

5. LonghornRob

LonghornRob IncGamers Member

Funny you should say that. It seems bacon is the most demanded commodity out there. All the leads and oldtimers always go scouring camps for free bacon. On the walkies you say "bacon" instead of "10-4." A large tray of bacon was gifted to our camp and all the leads called a bacon timeout, and everyone sat down and ate bacon for a few minutes.