Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

burninating the countryside

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by foosnark, Jun 16, 2005.

1. foosnark

foosnark IncGamers Member

burninating the countryside

I have this philosophy when I'm playing Diablo (and other RPGs as well) -- if the first several levels of your life suck until you get some kind of ability later, I'm not likely to waste my time suffering to get there when I can play a build that's fun from the beginning.

So I prefer classes where you get useful skills at level 1, or 6 at the latest. I decided an Enchantress just wasn't worth the 17 levels of headache, then looked at a list of builds and happened upon a zeal/freeze Paladin. And I thought... Resist Fire is a level 1 skill and a very good synergy for Holy Fire which is level 6, which in 1.1 adds a healthy amount of fire damage -- more than Enchant if I'm not mistaken, and for zero mana cost. And Sacrifice is a good synergy for Zeal. And that one prereq point in Might is useful for levels 1-5.

At whatever level I was when I finally quit playing last night at 5 AM ;) my Fire Zealot has just been mowing through packs of monsters. It's very satisfying to smackdown a unique Carver Shaman in one hit and watch all the little Carvers die of spontaneous combustion, or to cut a path through packs of almost anything.

I used to think Paladins were boring :)

I'm aware that lots of stuff in Hell difficulty is fire immune, but I'm not too worried about it; the last character I played in Hell was probably in 1.02 :)

2. RoC1909

RoC1909 IncGamers Member

I pretty much used to think the same thing about Pally's....until I started a Frost Zealot (using one of the guides on the site). It's has completely changed my mind about a Paladin AND the power of cold ;)

Have fun with your build.

RoC

3. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

17 levels really isn't that bad, especially if you twink. Just go melee. My enchantress is easily the most fun I've had with a character.

Without prebuffing, yes this is true. A fully synergized Resist Fire aura gives 643-713 fire dmg to your attack. A fully synergized Enchant gives 504-659 fire dmg to your attack.

With the right prebuff gear however it's a different story. Right now my Enchantress is pumping out about 10700 fire damage (about 300 physical) with prebuffing AND I can zeal as well with the help of the Passion runeword.

4. farting bob

farting bob Banned

As top hat said, if your twinking, enchant will be much more damage in the long run. Holy fire tends to suck past normal difficulty compared to holy freeze and shock. However, with good equipment, it can be taken through hell, so dont dispair!

5. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

THC, were you including Fire Mastery^2 in that 504-659? Seems far too low...

6. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

Ah, no I forgot about that. I was just running it through that well-known skill planner. Well even more reason for enchantresses then :)