Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

bunch of questions :D

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Killer_sss, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Killer_sss

Killer_sss IncGamers Member

bunch of questions :D

• how does enhanced dmg of fortitude work is it aplied to the entire dmg the base dmg or what? does the str interact before or after the dmg of fortitude?
    • does the chiling armor on fortitude affect the defense b4 or after the 200% is aplied?
    • how does ar work with skills like penetrate and another skill such as jab? will the base ar first be multiplied by jab and then penetrate are they added or what?
    • if dueling what would you consider more essential a ton of life or more ar so you could hit more? provided you have 75% block and a decent amount of ar already?
    • what is a good break point to shoot for for pvp if you are using a zon with 75% faster block?

2. Throttle

Throttle IncGamers Member

This depends entirely on who you are dueling. If you're up against, say, a necromancer, you won't need that much AR since they will never have very high defence. So you can swap out your high-AR items for life. But if you're against a barbarian or a paladin, for example, you'll need alot more AR. Figure out how much average Defence the average duelling build has. Most non-pure-BvB WW-Barbarians have around 15000 defence, assuming top of the line gear, and you'll want to have at least 20% more than that, preferably more. if you want one standard setup, and not change items all the time, shoot for at least 10000 AR, and then as much life as you can have. But remember not to ignore your resists - ideally you'll have all your resists maxed in hell, with around 25% more in fire and poison, 50-80% more in cold, and as much extra in lightning as you can get (FoH-Paladins use conviction, which gives like -150% to lightning resistance. This can be countered with a 4-Ptopaz shield, in which case your regular setup would only need the 25% extra in lightning resist).

The ~25% extra in resists are to counter the effects of Rainbow Facets and other -resist equipment that most spellcaster characters use, and the high excess cold resistance is to counter cold mastery, which lowers your effective resistance by alot.

I can't answer your other questions though, sorry.

3. Killer_sss

can anyone else help me out with the rest of the questions?

um im assuming each pally and barb dueler i meet has at least 30k def what should i bring my ar up to for that??

my resists will be fine and they will be maxed. ty for ur input.

4. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

To help answer this, it's important to know that there are two formulas needed to calculate your total damage. The first one is used to calculate the weapons damage, which only uses any enhanced damage or +max/min damage on the weapon itself (I won't list it here, as knowing it won't help your question).

The second formula is performed after the first, and is used to calcuate your total damage. This formula is:

Min Damage: [Weapon Min Damage + (+min damage)] * (1 + Stat Damage Multiplier + ED%/100)
    Max Damage: [Weapon Max Damage + (+max damage)] * (1 + Stat Damage Multiplier + ED%/100)

The "Weapon Min Damage" and "Weapon Max Damage" are the values worked out in the first formula. The ED% (and the +min/max) in this one takes into account any enhanced damage from items other than the weapon itself. You'll also notice the stat damage multiplier is in this formula as well, which is where the strength multiplier would come into effect.

So, to answer your question, the enhanced damage from a fortitude armor is applied after calculating the weapons damage, and is applied at the same time as the strength modifier.

Chilling armor seems to be applied onto your total defence. In other words, after your total armor defence is calculated (including the 200% on the runeword, though possibly excluding skill defences, like Shout or Defiance).

Having found not much on penetrate around, I can only really take a logical guess at this. Penetrate is calculate first, because when you put a point into it, it takes up your attack rating permanently. I believe it applies the % AR bonus to your "base" attack rating (excluding any AR you get from skills, such as Jab). The new attack rating you have after putting a point into penetrate becomes your new "base" attack rating.

The attack rating bonus given by Jab is applied to your "base" AR when determing the chance you have to hit with that skill. I believe it's applied after taking into account the bonus given by penetrate. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :)

5. Killer_sss

thank you very much in one respect and in another it sux cause now i know my dmg will be lower than what i thought. oh well thanx nehow. i will check on the ar in the zon forumn.

6. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Total defense is in this case the defense value before any skill or +% defense not on armor multiplies it.

It doesn't work that way. The base AR stays the same when you put more points into Penetrate. It's just a passive skill.

The boni are added up, then applied to the base AR.