Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

"Bully" vs "clean sweep" zone running

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by glen-art, Feb 11, 2004.

1. glen-art

glen-art IncGamers Member

"Bully" vs "clean sweep" zone running

I have a character build that mass parks mobs, and chooses to fight only mobs that are unfearable (bosses, champions).

My question is: if running a zone like the pits or tunnels, what is the percent chance that uniques/sets will drop from the champions and bosses versus the normal creatures and minions?

Is parking all "normal" creatures a bad idea or a good idea if it speeds up MF running a zone? (about 25% of the time to zone run if only picking on bosses/champions)?

Glen-ART

2. Stormie

Stormie IncGamers Member

There are three factors to consider:

How many more items do the champs and bosses drop?
    Random unique bosses and champions always drop 1 item. Most superuniques drop 2 items. Normal monsters and minions may drop 1 item - for most monsters in a 1-player game (you're probably not MF'ing with others), the "no drop" chance is 62.5%, so the average monster will drop 0.375 items.

Can the champs and bosses drop higher TC items?
    Usually. But if you're hitting up the level 85 areas like The Pit, the normal monsters can drop any TC, and only a tiny handful of uniques are level 86 or 87 and thus can only be dropped by bosses and champs. So don't worry about this one too much.

How much more likely are uniques and sets from the champs and bosses?
    This is the real heart of the matter. There are scaling factors to the chances of dropping unique/set/rare/magic items for boss monsters. Some useful numbers, comparing various bosses to normal monsters:

Random boss or champion: Always at least magic, rare/set/unique 4.57x more likely
    Act boss: Always at least magic, rare/set/unique 24.98x more likely (!!)
    Most superuniques: Always at least magic, rare 19.69x more likely, set/unique 4.57x more likely
    Pindleskin & Thresh Socket (the "nerfed" superuniques in 1.10): Always at least magic, rare 19.69x more likely, set 2.77x more likely, unique 2x more likely
    The Countess: Always at least magic, rare 24.98x more likely, set/unique 7.26x more likely
    The Cow King: Always at least magic, rare/set 24.98x more likely, unique 5.89x more likely
    Nihlathak & Radament: Always at least magic, rare/set/unique 8.26x more likely

..there are a couple of other special superuniques, too, but I'm too lazy to list them, they're not super interesting..

Summary
    Ah, hell, decide for yourself. :) But if you're running The Pit in a single player game, each boss or champ is roughly 12x more likely to drop a rare, set or unique item than each normal monster.

3. SDC Pred

SDC Pred IncGamers Member

Better to do full clears, there's way more than 12 normal monsters for one unique monster, so kill them all! One norm Devilkin gave me Valor :)

4. Farnham_the_Drunk

Farnham_the_Drunk IncGamers Member

Shaftstop dropped from a vile archer for me...

Edit: A Normal Vile Archer that is

5. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

Actually it's not "way more". A typical Hell Pit run has around 160 normal monsters, 6 champions (2 packs) and 8 unique monsters. I think Blizzard deliberately balanced this sort of thing to make the decision hard.

It probably depends on the way your char deals damage. If you are able to deal a lot of damage to an individual target (eg Conc Barb) then you might want to stick to killing only key monsters, eg uniques. If your damage is more area of effect, then you might as well clear everything.