Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bullet Barb

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Emerald Dragon, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Emerald Dragon

Emerald Dragon IncGamers Member

Bullet Barb

Hey everyone, I am very bored, and I have been wanting to write a guide on something for a while now. Most builds I have made were from other peoples guides, and I dont have enough experience with common builds to make my own guide of them.

So I decided to make my very first guide on a barb I made. I called him that because he is Really fast. I have never seen a guide that focused on a run/walk barb, so here goes.

First things first. This is not a serious guide. This build is for fun/experimenting, not soloing in hell or pvp. If your looking for either of those, this is not the right place.

Now, on to the build.

The Bullet Barb

Just as the name says, this barb moves fast. Skill wise, there is only 1 skill that actually needs some points into, leaving lots of room for experimenting. This build is more item dependant than skill dependant. This barb is for fun as I have mentioned, and if you make it, you will probably use him for kicks instead of serious play.

The Stats

Str: 84. (125 if you choose Ik boots)
    Dex: enough for the bow you chose for harmony.
    Vit: All unused points in here.
    Mana: Base.

Honestly, stat placement is not crucial like other builds.

Skills

Only 1 to put skills into. Heck, you dont even have to do that if you get enough run/walk charms to match what the skill gives.

14 - Increased speed.

14 points will get you 40% FRW (Faster Run/walk)

Thats about all for skills. Pretty simple eh?

Equipment

This is the area that makes the barb run like the wind.

Helm: Circlet of Speed (30%)
    Armor: Trang Armor (40%)
    Boots: Boots with Acceleration suffix (40%), Ik Boots (40% 125 str req), Nat boots (40%), Aldur Boots (40%). Take your pick, many to choose from.
    Belt: Mavina Belt (20%)
    Amulet: Cat's Eye (30%)
    Weapon: Harmony bow (LvL 10 Vigor Aura)<---Also adds 200-275% ED

Rings and gloves can be whatever you want. All in all, that adds up to 160% FRW and a lvl 10 vigor aura. With lvl 14 Increased Speed, thats 200% FRW.

My barb has lvl 20 increased speed (adds 43%, so 6 extra points only nets you an extra 3%, easily gained on a small charm), Harmony how, Trang armor, Cat's Eye, Ik Boots, Mav belt, and 36% FRW from charms. He sits at 209%, and could be at 239% if I got a Circlet of Speed.

My barb runs the same speed as arrows (To give you an idea on how fast this barb is). Technically, with 40 3% FRW small charms in your inventory you could get to 320% FRW.

An Important point I should add. Having your screen in 800x600 will make you run faster than in 640x480.

What to do with spare skill points

Okay so your really fast, you can impress people with your speed, but what else?

Since you can't change your gear without sacrificing your speed, trying for a combat skill is out. That leaves the War Cry tree.

Supporter

Not only can you run fast, but you can help out your party members. So you wont be totally useless when in a party. :D

20 - Shout, 20 - Battle Orders, 1 - Battle Command.

Singer

Okay you wont be running around killing people/monsters with war cry, but you can use Howl, Taunt, and Battle Cry to great effect. You could howl to break apart a nasty group of enemies to get at their leader, Taunt to get those annoying casters, Battle Cry to cripple enemies, use your imagination. Seriously, it is very rare to see someone use these skills and people dont know their usefulness.
    20 - Howl, 20 - Taunt, 20 - Battle Cry, 1 - War Cry (If you want)

Conclusion

There you have it. Most of you are probably shaking your heads thinking this is just a waste of time. If you think that, it's fine with me. This guide is for people who want to try something different/weird/fun instead of the usual "Must be able to solo hell". It's a change of pace, a build thats focused on experimenting. Have you ever seen ANYONE use a grim ward? I haven't. So why not suprise people by doing unusual things like that?

I hope you enjoyed my very first guide. I had fun writing it.

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Nice guide....although there isn't really much to do...besides putting points in speed and get as much Faster R/W as possible. Still I like the idea of support characters...Clerics and this build for example...too bad most people don't play together. Unusal and interesting...thumbs up:)

3. NefariousNothing

NefariousNothing IncGamers Member

You might consider Sanders boots, too, I think. 40 r/w, 5 str, 10 dex. Pretty low strength requirement, too. I've got a helm with 2 barb skills and 3 inc. speed lying around somewhere. -That's- fun. ;)

EDIT: You might consider maxing Frenzy, too, and using light armors. No heavy shield, and no heavy armor ;) Won't hinder your r/w speed at all, which would be increased by frenzy, if you wanted to go without the Harmony/Vigor aura, and do some decent (I think it would be, if you maxed (or attempted to) the frenzy synergies) damage. Who knows, I've been considering making a frenzy Barb. Maybe I'll have to test this out.

4. Taz

Taz IncGamers Member

What about some tuning:
    - max Frenzy
    - max Inc speed
    - Replace the heavy 40frw armor with Enigma 45%frw or Stealth 25%ftw in light armor
    - use rogue merc with Harmony
    - max sword mastery and use dual Crainte Vomirs - upped or not upped
    ?

5. Emerald Dragon

To tell the truth, I have never seen someone use frenzy. After the couple months I have been playing, I wouldnt recognize frenzy if I did see it. Enigma would work. I never thought of that. Same with equipping a rouge merc with the bow to get the aura.

I'm going to make some modifications to my "Bullet" barb.

6. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

Maxing increased speed would be a must for this barb. Item IAS is subject to diminishing returns, but skill based IAS is not. 3% ias from increased speed is much better than a 3%ias charm. The more itemIAS you have, the less gain from the 3%ias charm, but there's the same gain from the 3% ias from increased speed.

Formulae to know to calculate actual speed:

EffectiveWalkSpeed = BaseWalkSpeed * (Skill_FRW / 100 + [Item_FRW * 120 / (Item_FRW + 120)] / 100 + Armor_Speed / 100)

EffectiveRunSpeed = BaseRunSpeed + BaseWalkSpeed * (Skill_FRW / 100 + [Item_FRW * 120 / (Item_FRW + 120)] / 100 + Armor_Speed / 100)

BaseRunSpeed = 6yds/sec for all chars
    BaseWalkSpeed = 4yds/sec for all chars
    Armor_Speed = 0 for light armor, -5 for medium armor, -10 for heavy armor
    Skill_FRW = total frw from skills
    Item_FRW = total frw from gear/charms

vigor ias, increased speed ias, (assassin) burst of speed ias, and frenzy ias are all Skill_FRW

[EDIT]:
    Also, screen size does not affect your run/walk speed. All it can affect is how you perceive your run/walk speed.

7. NefariousNothing

Frenzy's a GREAT PvM skill, in my opinion (as little as that means ;)). This build sounds, actually, quite fun. I think I'm gonna make one, or a variant of one, this weekend. I love odd stuff like this.

Variety is the spice of life. :)

8. Emerald Dragon

Ah thanks for the math turtle. And for clearing up my mistake on teh screen size fact. Just a question, you keep saying ias, do you mean Increased attack speed?

9. NefariousNothing

Yup.

IAS = Increased attack speed.

10. Taz

Taz IncGamers Member

IAS means Increased Attak Speed.
    But what he refers to is frw.

11. Emerald Dragon

I knew what it meant, I just confused that he put together such a smart post, only to make a very obvious mistake. I thought it was some kind of b.net "slang" I hadn't heard about.

12. thegiantturtle

I always mess up stuff like that. That's why I try not to post too much. I did mean FRW or Faster Run/Walk. Argh.

13. Emerald Dragon

LoL okay, because when I first read that I was like.........the hell....ias?

Dont worry, sometimes I mess up too. Like putting letters in opposite places of two words.

I once called a dust devil a "Dest Duvil"

And a rocket launcher a "Locket Rauncher"

14. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

Good Job man! If nothing else, it's very creative indeed!
    Yeah, you should modify it so it either can be a strong support character, or make it a decent attacker.
    Also, may I suggest items that give Fanaticism? So that your barb not only runs fast but attacks fast.

15. ladydraxis

ladydraxis IncGamers Member

I can give testimony that Frenzy barbs can be incredibly powerful, as well as insanely FAST. I have made a number of them, my most recent being the one I've enjoyed the most. He uses Shaefer's + a Beast Caddy, Arreat's, CoH, and various other pieces I can't recall with certainty. Between the CoH and the Arreat's (+15% all resists jewel in it), and a couple points into natural resists, he has maxed resists in hell, which leaves all of his other gear slots open for items that will simply add to his damage. For your bullet barb, that would allow for cats eye, mav's belt, and whichever r/w boots you prefer. In any case, this barb can dish out some great damage, and once frenzy is fully charged, the barb can run SO fast that he can quickly hit a black wall because he's running faster than your computer/Bnet server computer can whip up the new map!

16. superc0ntra

superc0ntra IncGamers Member

I'm currently building a frenzy barb but will take your guide into concideration. Sounds fun but impossible to control at max frenzy+max run speed. Lol this will be fun

17. ladydraxis

ladydraxis IncGamers Member

I can bear witness to the fact that a frenzy barb who also happens to have a lot of faster run/walk gear can be VERY difficult to control. With that much speed, you don't even know where you're going until you get there most of the time! You'll be waking up multitudes of monsters completely by accident, so make sure you give this kind of barb a LOT of life!

18. Doll Call

Doll Call IncGamers Member

frenzy barb + enigma + good increased RW speed = stupid hard to control. you constantly blow by targets and desynch like crazy. its even probable for deuling too, because they do stupid high damage, and catch people off guard... although get used to getting your ass kicked with no def, or shield.

best strat = finding a physical immune foe in the blood moor and isolating him so you can "feed" off him. charge towards someone which usually freaks them out because you're stupid fast, then tele beside them and shred them... so funny.

my non ladder frenzy guy = 2xEbotd zerker
    archon enigma
    arreat's
    dracul's
    gore riders
    2x ravens
    highlord's wrath
    arach/verdungo

i think i'm going to try one on ladder with 2x grief phase, or grief zerker/beast, and fort.

19. Burning Time

Burning Time IncGamers Member

Woo this sounds so fun, i was looking for a new barb to make to mess around on when i get board of training my other i was either gonna go for a frenzy barb or a conc barb, but the frenzy/bullet hybrid sounds to cool, great guide, and a nice imaginative build.

cheers

also is it any of the rouges that give the harmony aura or is it a specific one, if so which one? thanks (soz newb question only been playing for a bit tho)

20. thegiantturtle

none of the rogues give a harmony aura. The harmony RUNEWORD (created in bows/crossbows) gives lvl 10 vigor aura.