Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Building new rig, need input

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Drytchnath, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Drytchnath

Drytchnath Diabloii.Net Member

Building new rig, need input

So yesterday my 6 or so year old machine broke down, probably permanently. Because of that I've been browsing Newegg and compiling a shopping list. Only problem is that I haven't kept up to date on the PC market and I'm not too sure about some of the things I've chosen.

One thing I know i want is water-cooling. A friend of mine had a *****ing gaming rig that used water-cooling and it was almost totally silent...my old PC sounded like a jet plane and overheated if I left the side panel on all the time. The problem with watercooling is that I've never dealt with it before and may have to settle with the standard fans. Cost is also a big factor, I want a PC under $800 that will hopefullly last me another 6 years or more.

So far here is what I've put into my shopping cart at Newegg:

-AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDX945FBGIBOX - Retail
    -ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
    -CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1600C9DHX - Retail
    -SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
    -Rosewill RC-6-HDMI-MM-BK-2 6 ft. HDMI Cable - Retail (bundle deal, can't remove)
    -LITE-ON 24X CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS324-08 - Retail
    -Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
    -Antec CP-850 850W Continuous Power CPX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC "compatible with Core i7" Power Supply - Retail

Grand total so far w/ shipping: $881.58 Far above my projected budget of $800

I'm also at a loss as to what type of cooling solution to get for the CPU-I don't know much of anything about water cooling and find fans to be a hassle (and loud).
    Any advice is welcomed, especially if it helps cut the costs.

2. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Re: Building new rig, need input

Make sure you get a decent vid card with it's own onboard/dedicated memory. You don't want your vid card eating up your systems memory. Also you did not mention your OS. If you're going to run Vists plan on having more memory available if you are going to game with it. Like 6GB instead of 4. Vista is mem hungry. This will save problems down the road if you are running stuff like WoW and all it's expansions or D3 or whatever comes along.

3. Risingred

Risingred Diabloii.Net Member

Phenom II generally tests lower than the intel quad-core but it isn't a huge deal. May not need a 1TB HDD if you can find one cheaper. It seems like they're kind of bloated in price compared to a 750. The Antec cases are great. I would stick with that, maybe go down a model or two. I am still using my old Antec 900 and it's the best case I've ever had.

Like Gorny said, you're going to want to get a card for the machine, unless your old system had a card that was PCI-E which you could just pop in. But you have to be careful with the nVidia 9XXX cards and up because they're huge and even in a large case like the antecs you'll have trouble plugging in the sata cables for the HDD(s) and the card as well. It's a real tight fit, every time.

Water cooling would be a waste for you, especially if your main concern is noise. You're still going to want/need case fans for the GPU and the HDD especially. You aren't going to get away from noise but there's ways to kind of control that. You'll also want to add on a heatsink then for the cpu with some thermal paste. You can get a decent sink pretty cheap. A LOT cheaper than liquid cooling. And if you thought fans were a hassle, heh. Liquid cooling is much more so.
    RAM is cheap. For some reason, DDR3 is especially cheap right now. You can buy large kits for like $100.
    Seeing as how you need everything, it looks like 800 may not be too realistic unless you find some pre-built quad box and gut out what you don't want. There's cheaper ways to build an equivalent machine but I can't give out links on this forum.

4. Drytchnath

Drytchnath Diabloii.Net Member

I'll be going with a Radeon HD4870 w/ 1GB of DDR5 for my vid card, forgot to post it with the other specs. For OS I'd just be using my old XP Pro disc from my dead machine for a quick fix, then change to Windows 7 when it comes out seeing as how I strongly dislike Vista.

The problem with not taking the 1TB drive is that it, along with the CPU, HDD and RAM is part of a combo deal that cuts about 150 bucks off the price. I'll have to play on Newegg more to see if there's a cheaper bundle. I've also always stuck with AMD and ATI since a) They're cheaper, and b) I've never had ANY problems from them performance wise.

The reason I found water-cooling so fascinating was I had a friend with a nice watercooled machine and it ran super quiet. Then again he also dumped about $1500 into it over the course of 2 years...Guess I'll be going with fans+Heatsink again-and of course thermal paste.

If you have links that you think I might find useful then feel free to send them to my message box Risingred, that can't be against the rules too can it?

5. Mav451

Mav451 Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah agree with RisingRed - don't bother with W/C for noise b/c most modern air-cooling is going to be just as quiet. You also need to remember that rads need fans, so it's not like W/C is fanless either.

Besides, W/C is not for noise but for performance. And you don't really mention having a desire to break OCing records haha. So yeah, a quiet TR120-E solution will be a far better investment for you.

6. Arutha

Arutha Diabloii.Net Member

I wouldn't bother with liquid cooling unless you are really really into overclocking. And especially if you are on a budget as by the time you buy everything you need for watercooling it can get kinda expensive.

7. Fackelare

Fackelare Diabloii.Net Member

The 'Antec CP-850 850W Continuous Power CPX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC "compatible with Core i7" Power Supply - Retail' seems like a lot of overkill, unless you are going with quadrupple CrossFire, you're not going to need 850Watt.

125 CPU + 15 HDD + 330 GPU (it's a big one...) = 470Watt, the rest shouldn't add up to much, so with a 550 Watt supply, you should have more than enough for a stable system (and 850 Watt might be cutting it a bit close if you want two of those GPU's in your system, especially with overclocking and such).

I'd take 6 Gb of memory, since it's cheap these days and could be something you'd notice (allthough I'm not that sure if it would help a game system...). And the intel i7 is much better than anything AMD has to offer at the moment, but with the 920 at 280 dollar, it might be a stretch for your budget (since you will also need a more expensive motherboard). But it is something to think about...

Disclaimer, everything here is written with good intentions, I might be mistaken though :whistling:...

8. BigKevSexyMan

BigKevSexyMan Diabloii.Net Member

I actually did the same thing you were doing. We're actually getting the same motherboard(yay!! we're motherboard buddies!).

Anyways, for the processor, I went with the phenom ii x4 955. I just looked it up and it's actually on sale over at newegg($10 cheaper than 945 with free shipping).

Now, for the graphics card, you have 2 options.
    1) Wait for a graphics card that is directx 11 compatable to come out(I think it's projected to the end of the year or something)
    2) Get a sapphire HD 4890. Sapphire makes a variant of the card that uses a heatsink vs a brute force fan. I'm not sure about the price point, but the quiet you'll get from the heatsink should be a big plus(I think it's the Vapor-X model). I wish it was the card I got.

Also, make sure you have a floppy disk drive and all the cables you need to connect it. You'll need that fdd in order install the drivers needed for your sata hdd and cd/dvd/blueray readers.

Finally, if you plan on using crossfire(dual gpu's), your power supply will need at least 4 pci-6 pin power connectors. If you don't then you'll only need 2 pci-6 connectors.

9. MoonUnit

MoonUnit Diabloii.Net Member

In my experience, it's always better to get a larger PSU than you need. It sucks to be almost finished with a build and found out yer PSU isn't large enuff.

EDIT: I install SATA drivers from thumb drives. My computer doesn't have a floppy drive. :p

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  10. BigKevSexyMan

BigKevSexyMan Diabloii.Net Member

yeah, I tried to do that myself, but for some reason I needed an operating system to use my usb drive. I basically was running around town trying to find an internal FDD(the external usb ones are $30 more than an internal one). Luckily I found one at an old locally owned computer store. FDD are cheap enough anyways, so why not get it(unless you're really worried about aesthetics).

11. Krazeyivan

Krazeyivan Diabloii.Net Member

I just install my OS from a thumb drive now - slipstreaming the drivers on it too

12. MoonUnit

MoonUnit Diabloii.Net Member

Eh, running around town to find an internal FDD is a pain in the butt since almost no one sells internal ones now. All of the ones I've found are externals.

Why have someone installed if you will never use it? I've got a memory card reader in place of a floppy drive since A) I don't use it ever. B) Thumb drives can hold more C) I just copy stuff over the network when I am at home anyway.