Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Building an IK Barb, would like suggestions

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by nutrimat, Mar 17, 2004.

1. nutrimat

nutrimat IncGamers Member

Building an IK Barb, would like suggestions

I have most of the pieces of the IK set right now, and am in the process of leveling a barb to use with them. I do have the Item warehouse download for single player and have been playing around with various ideas, but would like some suggestions.

I am definitely thinking to max Mace Mastery, Shout and Battle Orders. The 4 other Mastery skills (r/w, increased stam, nat res, and Iron Skin) would also get one point).

Obviously Frenzy, Double Swing, and Throw are out.

I tried Concentrate, but the IK Maul just does not kill fast enough for that. It's not really a matter of how much damage it does, rather, that it only hits one target at a time.

So I am thinking WW. However, my 1.09 WW barb with 2 Doombringers has run into 2 problems: The huge amount of monsters that do mana burn (none of which have it listed as a property), and The Doombringers just don't do enough dmg.
    I did test the WW in SP on players 8, and noticed that the IK set does a rediculous amount of damage (I think I had almost 6k WW), and the IK Maul with 2 Shaels makes your whirlwind speed just sick.

I put in about 2 hours of testing, mostly in act 4 and some of 5, and it seemed pretty good. So I will probably go with WW. My questions are:

Does anyone else have a WW IK Barb? How does it work generally (meaning is it pretty much a viable build or do you run into a lot of problems)?
    I am probably going to use Conc on the left button to suck back some mana after I get burned, this generally seemed to work well in SP. But should I try to throw all my leftover points in it, or should I get some Berserk for the conc synergy and for phys immunes?

Finally, some equip questions.
    I was originally thinking about using Mara's ammy (I have a high res one on my old barb). But I noticed that when I took the Maras off, I still have almost max res (from the IK, one point in natural res + skill points, and the 30 from Anya). Soooo, would highlords be a good ammy? Or one of the new ammys like Metalgird?

For rings I have a 5% BK I was going to use in one slot for the + skills, a little extra leech, and life. But I am unsure what to use in the other slot. I have a new dual leech ring, but I got by fine in my testing with a BK and the 10% leech on IK Gloves. So can anyone recommend a second ring? Raven? Carrion Wind?

Helm and Armor sockets? I was going to use some high ed jewels. I have a 38 ed and a 32 ed with 13 max. Can any of the stat freaks here give me an idea which of these will do more dmg?

Last question, and I know this has probably been asked quite a few times, but I can't find the WW breakpoint table anywhere in this forum. I wanted to see if I need the 2 Shaels in the Maul or if I can get by with 2 15 ias instead or maybe a shael and ias.

Thanks!

2. Liessa Wyrmbane

Liessa Wyrmbane IncGamers Member

1 point in Conc and Berserk is enough. Put your remaining skill points to Iron Skin.

Amulet options:
    - Highlord (for the deadly strike)
    - Metal Grid (for the +AR and +Defense)
    - Angelic amulet (for the huge +AR and life bonus) <- requires Angelic ring too

I think one ring should always be Ravenfrost. The other ring can be whatever you like. There are so many options.

ed/max jewels are bugged in non-weapons somehow and they don't yield much damage anymore. You're better off using plain high ED jewels or ideally ED/STR jewels.

30% more IAS is needed for max WW speed with IK Maul. So you can socket your maul with either Shael+Shael, Shael+IAS or IAS+IAS.

Regards,
    Liessa

3. nutrimat

Thanks for the suggestions!

Another question: Is about 150 dex (with the items) enough? The IK set gives you pretty big AR bonuses

4. sahlakh

sahlakh IncGamers Member

No, no, no, not a single point in dexterity, it's the worst possible choice to get some ar. 90 wasted points into dexterity = about 720 less life. If you don't wanna hit 4k-ish life, you should definately dump those stat points into strenght instead. I have about 19k AR with base dexterity (Angelic ammy + ring + demon limb).

And yes, IK WW barb is not only viable, it's also pretty efficent killing machine when played right. I've been soloing in bigger Hell games for MF / leveling merc, things can get slow sometimes, but it's still pretty impressive. The thing I enjoy most with this build is to solo Hell ancients (HCL), others are just sitting in the corner, waiting you to tank all three and whirl them to death =)

5. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Sahlakh

You mf with an IK WW barb? How? I know there's some inherent mf with the set, but surely not enough to mf with, even with Horking?

Do you socket the armor with perf topazes? Still doesn't yield too much mf...no?

-X

6. squigipapa

squigipapa IncGamers Member

I MF, and Hork with my IK barb, (switching to echoers for the horking) and I'm doing pretty well with him. I think since 1.10 The term MF has changed a bit, since ethereal normal/socketed items are the huge trade value items in .10 and don't require any MF to find. As well MF dosen't help at all with runes, and we all know how much they're worth. So putting on an IK set and hammering the pits, even with very, very little MF can still be very profitable. Even with no mf, I still find quite a few Uniques, I found an Arocs needle the other night in the pit. As well as a 3 socket Superiour (+12enh def) archon plate. and loads of superiour 'white' items which can easily be socketed with the quest. So basically xiamet, ya you can MF or Non-MF with an IK barb very easily.

7. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

I am building a new IK barb.

He will have the minimum needed str of 187, the rest vitality.
    He will use berserk and warcry. Also the one point skills nat resist and inc speed.
    BO of course and shout for synergy and merc help.

I will use ravenfrost and dwarfstar for now, i try to replace the dwarf later with whisp projector, but that is because i play HC and dont wanna die to gloams. amulet will be highlords.

i am not sure what to socket the stuff with. I cannot afford ed ias jewels, i think the maul will have to do with either plan and mediocre ed or with sheals for now. the armor and helm, i was thinking about topazzes, but since he wont really be an mfer anyway, i might just as well do something else there. For the build itself, 3 damage reduct runes would be best (ber IIRC). Obviously i cant afford those either.

8. EndTheory

EndTheory IncGamers Member

Those who say don't use IK set with concentrate - can you please expand? I'm building a Iron barb with all intentions of using IK set with the build. On paper it looks like it would work great. WW is out for me as i hate the skill. Is conc + IK set really that bad?

9. Deepfriedspam

Deepfriedspam IncGamers Member

Conc barb works perfectly fine with IK set, just that WW really gets the most out of the set, in a lot of people's opinion.

Personally, I have made a semi-Titan IK Barb, currently 75, w/100 points in Vit, the rest in STR. Max WW, BO, close to max Shout and Mastery, 1 pt in zerk... about the only 2 things i fear right now is latency and IM. ;O)

10. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Sguigi

I did a little calculating, and with at least 50% in Find Item, and P-Top's in the armor and helm (if 40%), the IK set can actually give you a decent level of mf....187% to be exact. If you have two Ali-baba's on the switch, that puts you at about 350-ish, depending on your clvl. That's not a bad hork and you still get the full benefits and killing speed the set brings on the switch. Anyone else try this setup?

Of course, you won't have the extra damage you'd have if you used those sockets for ed jewels, but as a Whirler, that's why you have STR and 3/20/20's go a long way toward damage enchancement.

I think this clinches it for me....I'm going with an IK Whirler, who freelances as a treasure hunter on the side...lol. Now where did I put those Warcry charms?

-X

11. spuddogg

spuddogg IncGamers Member

Not bad at all.
    It's just that you get 'more bang for the buck' using WW as IK maul really doesn't dish out enough damage to drop hell baddies efficiently going one-on-one.
    Concentration works ... just takes a little while.

12. chien

chien IncGamers Member

My Conc. IK barb:
    Concentration, BO, Shout Maxed. 1 pt in WW, berserk, mastery, other cries, iron skin, stamina, speed and few in natural reisitance and 5 in Find items :). 5 skill pts unused. I use full IK set +raven frost+ angelic ring and ammy (ali baba+ gull weapon switch for horking :) ). Works great so far. The only problem now is those damn archers with aura enhanced, mana burn (you know what I mean :rant: ). I can clear the pits pretty quick unless I saw those archers .... Any suggestion for those archers? I use taunt for normal archers, but I almost can't touch the unique or champion pack of archers.

Chien

13. nutrimat

Well I tested the IK set with a conc barb on single player. I was using a lv 99 barb, but otherwise tried to make it as realistic as possible (no inv of 3/20/20's or 40/15 jewels in equip).

Conc does a LOT of damage, and berserk adds up to 20 magic dmg to conc. Plus you got all kinds of mondo elemental dmg from the IK set.
    BUT, the reason I decided not to use conc as the main skill is simple: You only attack one enemy at a time, and IK Maul is fairly fast with a couple of shaels, but not as fast as some 1 hand weapons. You will find it slow going against monsters like those blood maggots or pus spitters that spawn lots of little monsters, no one monster takes much more than a swing or two but you're talking a hundred swings or more. But it will definitely work, you can get huge damage against any one enemy, you just can't kill big groups that fast...

I think conc might be a better skill used in conjunction with Frenzy, so you can get the speed boost from frenzy. In fact, I am also considering making a conc/frenzy barb if I can get some nice zerkers...

Maybe the Howl or Grim Ward warcries?

I never considered NOT adding any dex at all. I was thinking Highlords ammy + a Ravenfrost, I could test to see how much AR I get from this...