Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Building an Assassin

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Whiplashfourever, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Whiplashfourever

Whiplashfourever IncGamers Member

Building an Assassin

I'm a 24 level assassin right now caught in a web of indecision. I've been basically sitting on all my stat and skill points (And believe me, dying while leveling has become problematic - LOL). Give me the break down on building a kick butt assassin if you could please. I have something like 19 skill points to dish out still and about 75 stat points. Is it important to be strong and dexterous or healthy and energetic. Which skills are the best and where should I be concentrating on putting my accumulated points?

2. lorenzo

lorenzo IncGamers Member

First thing first... what kinda of assassin do you want to build... be it martial artist or trap layer?

Also... you should take a lot at the stickies at the top of these forums... one of the stickies has a comprehensive listing of some really really useful builds/guides take you can take a look at... these can be very very handy... :thumbsup:

3. Whiplashfourever

lorenzo, I'm just looking for basics at this point. I tried reading through some of that stuff and wow, that was like trying to read through a "How to build your own rocket from everyday household appliances" handbook. I'm not looking to be the ultimate fighting machine. I mean, that would be nice, but I just don't have the time or energy to do all the trading and what not to achieve the final goal and the chances of finding everything I need is remote at best. I'm just looking to be generic at this point. Capable, but generic. I can always work on the other stuff later on (i.e. - getting the right armor, rings and amulets)

As far as what kind of assassin do I want to be... I don't know, that's why I'm here. Which is considered better. Trap, martial arts or hybrid. What few skill points I have used have been put into the traps (electrical), but for the most part, I can still go either way I guess.

In short, I guess what I'm looking for is a condensed version of the information given in the above threads.

Trap assassin is best and you want to put you stat points here and here for the most part and your skill points here, here and here. You're looking for this set (Nat's from what I've heard and read).

or

Martial Art assassin is best and you want to put you stat points here and here for the most part and your skill points here, here and here. You're looking for this set (Nat's from what I've heard and read).

or

Hybrid assassin is best and you want to put you stat points here and here for the most part and your skill points here here, and here. You're looking for this set (Nat's from what I've heard and read).

Let me say thanks in advance for any information given from this point on and another to you lorenzo, for your speedy reply.

4. Whiplashfourever

Not to be pushy, just giving this thread a friendly bump.

5. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

First of all welcome to the forums:)

If this is your first character I'd recommend a Traps assasin...They should be able to get through the game without getting all the sweet gear and have a minion which is always nice.

A traps assasin needs to be outfitted much like any other sorceress or Necro, since she is basically a caster.

Just use the standard way of allocating stats...

Str: enough to wear your equipment.
    Dex: enough for max block...IF you are wearing a shield, otherwise enough to wear your claws.
    Vit: Everything else
    Enr: Nothing...or alternatively spend a few points here, but you are probably going to regret it later on. She can have mana issues at first but drink those blue potions and later on you'll find some good equipment with +mana.

If you want to wear a set, then Nat's is okay without being spectacular...it gives some resists, some +skills, but isn't really suited for the traps assasin. If you can get your hands on some uniques/runewords that is so much better.

6. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

I have the same hard time figuring a good build as you. have restarted my assasin twice until now, i was so unhappy with my points. At the least i can now give you a few tips how not to waste points until you are certain about what you want. 1) dont put points into CM if you are still uncertain about wheter you want heavy weapon, or claw-sin. 2) dont put points into WB unless you are certain you want dual claw. 3) dont raise either of CM, BoS, WB as long as you dont have a good estimate on how many skillers your sin will have. my biggest error was raising these, than finding a bunch of skiller items, and my points becoming almost useless due to diminishing returns. (well, CM is the safest of those three...for BoS brain hurting break point calculations are needed as well)

Now of course all these are useless advice if you go for a straight trapsin.
    For a martial sin, i am trying to figure a good 2-claw build that capitalizes on CoT-Phoenix. (though i have serious doubts about CoT doing enough damage in late hell, so this might be a bad idea) 20 will go into both, SM will get enough points so it is 17 with skillers (or as an alternative, i will raise warrior to 15, most people hate it, but for an elementalist sin it might be really nice)
    DS will get at least 1, CM will only get (more than one) points if i have bad AR issues, and the rest will go into DS/FoF so i have some fire damage. (of course shadow cloak, mindblast, wb, bos will get their points and possible fade and venom, but i am not sure about those yet)
    advantages:
    - you can spend 50 safe points (phoenix, cot and prereqs and 1 pointers) while you are making your mind up.
    - i have played up to lev47 with a similar built before restarting and it works like charm on nm players8 but that means _nothing_. one does not build a char for nm
    - low str/dex needs means a bunch of vitality
    - versatile damage (lightning, fire, physical. and there is no triple immunes)
    - dual claw means 2 charges/hit, with FoF and CoT you can release 4 charges on every third hit. (or 6 on every fifth)
    - dual claw also means less AR issues, less points into CM, more points into else

disadvantages:
    - i am really uncertain about this char working on late hell. i will have to try. with everything having insane high resistances, my elemental damages may be too low to be effective.
    - vulnarable compared to a shield-sin. not only lower blocking, but you will certainly have a difficult time getting enough resist. (without sacraficing some nice skillers or else)
    - not really a good boss fighter build (especially compared to a tiger-sin). but might still be a nice tomb raider/den runner, and as for wsk...well Baal is not the hard part anyhow.
    - hard to pick a useful merc. might doesn't help elemental dam. defiance is more useful with builds which already have a good base defense. hf is rendered somewhat redundant by cloak of shadows. blessed aim won't be needed if you have the right gear, in a 2 claws build (Note: that is just my opinion, for ex. i have chatted with Nightfish recently in a mp game and he said the exact opposite about blessed aim. ) archers or mages are always an option though.

speaking of Nightfish he has a tiger/LS/DS hybrid guide on the site somewhere , and that char really sounds like a lot of fun to me. you might want to read it and try it instead of listening to the nonesense i speak :p

7. Whiplashfourever

Thank You for the welcome, it's appreciated.

It's not my first character exactly, but it's the first I've tried to build using more than limited guess work (I've also got a Amazon working which is in exactly the same boat, but just a little farther along points and stats wise). I like the trapsin, but I'd like to be a fighter once in a while too. It's all well and good to lay a bunch of traps down, stand back and let them do their work, but every now and again I'd like to get a little bloody. Can you do both? Would that be considered a hybrid?

Just use the standard way of allocating stats...

Str: enough to wear your equipment.

I'm currently at 35. Where would a good place be to stop? I've heard armor class can get pretty high the farther along you go. Is there a number most experienced Assassin users like to stop at?

Dex: enough for max block...IF you are wearing a shield, otherwise enough to wear your claws.

I'm currently at 35. Again, as with Str., where would a good place be to stop? The weapons I'll be using later on, say in Hell, will require some sort of dex too right? Is there a number most experienced Assassin users like to stop at?

Vit: Everything else

I'm currently at 20. So, out of the 90 points I currently have, you'd put them mostly here based on the numbers I've already given you?

Enr: Nothing...or alternatively spend a few points here, but you are probably going to regret it later on. She can have mana issues at first but drink those blue potions and later on you'll find some good equipment with +mana.

I'm currently at 25. I can live with that. It's not that big a deal to click the mana potions. It's just rough when you run out of them and you're gaming with a bunch of other magic users who need them too.

If you want to wear a set, then Nat's is okay without being spectacular...it gives some resists, some +skills, but isn't really suited for the traps assasin. If you can get your hands on some uniques/runewords that is so much better.

I don't WANT to wear a set necessarily, I just gathered from reading the few posts I've already read, that that is the way to go... or so I thought. Are there unique out there I should be looking for? What's a runeword and how would I go about using it?

Thanks for the pointers

8. Whiplashfourever

Artagas, I'm sure what you are telling me is helpful, but I need you to talk English for me buddy - lmao.

1) dont put points into CM
    2) dont put points into WB
    3) dont raise either of CM, BoS, WB as long as you dont have a good estimate on how many skillers your sin will have
    CoT-Phoenix
    SM will get enough points so it is 17 with skillers (or as an alternative, i will raise warrior to 15, most people hate it, but for an elementalist sin it might be really nice) DS will get at least 1
    with FoF and CoT
    also means less AR issues

What do these terms mean perzactly - LOL

9. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

sorry pal. CM = Claw Master. WB = Weapon Block, BoS = Burst of Speed, skillers = items giving you +skills (either to all skills or to a particular skill tree, or skill) CoT = Claws of Thunder, Phoenix = Phoenix Strike, FoF = Fists of Fire, AR = Attack Rating, DS = Death Sentry
    looks like by not wanting to type i ended up typing even more :p
    on the other hand if you want to get involved in D2-chattering you will probably have to learn some of the basic terms to understand what people are saying. one thing that could greatly help you with that is:
    http://www.diabloii.net/strategy/articles/iguelmay-terminology_list.shtml

10. Whiplashfourever

I've come a long way but still SUCK - lmao

11. vagrantrogue

vagrantrogue IncGamers Member

what's your playing style? do you like to attack from far away and let something/someone else do a good portion of the killing, or do you like to jump into the thick of things and hack/slash away against the evil minions of hell?

some people have more fun hacking/slashing, and some would rather sit back and invoke traps/summons to do the killing. once you determing that, you can choose whether you want traps vs other.

i find that people will all have opinions on which is better. but in the end, only you will know what suits you best, and often times your playing style will make you more effective for a certain type of build. not only that, but you'll have fun too.

12. Whiplashfourever

Broke down and bought Nat's set off rpgstash.com for my assassin. Hell, it's better than what I have and I can always start looking for better shtuff as I go. What the hell, if It sucks I'm out less than 10 bucks.