Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Building a PC

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by {KOW}Spazed, Feb 21, 2004.

1. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Building a PC

Alrighty I am going to build a new computer...can't talk the parents into getting a G5 =(.

Except I haven't kept up on PC parts. I know I don't want a 64-bit system but thats about it. I am thinking that the P4 3.06 is the fastest processor out there for now, at least I haven't seen any faster. If someone out there could help me on this I would appreciate it.

Here is the list I want:

Windows XP (I already have Linux on CDs)
    P4 3.06
    1 gig of RAM
    250 Gig HD
    Radeon 9800 Pro 128meg(256megs would be good if you can find it under 400$)
    Mobo ???? ( I don't know anything about mobos)
    Sound card ??? (Again I don't know anything bout em)
    A floppy drive ( I have no clue about floppies either)
    And a decent DVD-R/CD-R/CD-RW drive
    Heatsink ??? (Again don't know)

I would like there to be:
    4 x USB 2.0 ports
    1 x RJ45 LAN port
    1 x LPT port
    1 x COM port
    Audio (1 x Line-in / 1 x Line-out / 1 x MIC) ports
    PS/2 (Keyboard/Mouse) ports
    1 x AGP Pro slot
    5 x PCI slots (PCI 2.2 compliant)
    1 x DPS slot

If you can't tell I am a computer Noob when it comes to parts. My friend is going to put all the parts together but said he couldn't help with part finding so I turned to you guys cause Spazed said you might be able to help. Thank you all very much.
    [/ Spazed's friend]

OK this is {KOW}Spazed again. This is my friend Zach and if you can't tell he doesn't know a ton about computers except he wants a fast one. I would help him find parts except I don't know about parts. We can get the software but of you guys could get us going on parts we would be in your debt. Basically he wants the best gaming computer he can get sans liquid cooling.

2. th5418

th5418 Banned

There are 3.4 Ghz cpus out there.......

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

This is Zach again.

I haven't seen them.....who makes them?

4. th5418

th5418 Banned

Intel, fastest out there. Do you have a budget? go to www.alienware.com very nice...... or do you plan on having to make one

5. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Oh that reminds me I need a site to find a case too. I forgot all about that! It might be good to have it huh? Anyone have a good site to look them up on?

Thanks guys I know I am asking a lot of complete strangers.

6. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

you really don't NEED a sound card...the integrated audio works fine..save some money

for floppies it really doesn't matter..as long as it works...

if you lived in LA there was a sale at the local fry's..PC2700 512 mb RAM 48 bucks...but o wells

go to www.newegg.com they have pretty good stuff there...

7. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

Personally i'd go with AMD... but im biased to AMD for really no apparant reason.. just gotten better performance out of em. ATI is always solid. For cases do a search on google for "case mods" or "case modifications", there will be a lot of sites that will pop up where you can buy nice cases. Lian Li cases are tight, but they'll cost you extra. Floppy drives.. eh, just get a standard one, don't really have to worry about them too much, seeming burning and USB 2 stuff is just as easy and can store more imo. A good basic sound card would be Soundblaster Audigy.. should only cost you about 60$ and gets the job done.

If you really wanted to.. you could get an AMD, use watercooling.. then overclock it so it'll run faster. I suggest you do research on watercooling if you end up wanting to go that way. It's nice cause it's cooler.. and there's much less fan noise. But yeah.. do your research on that first. You can buy some nice kits out there for it. Probably run ya 100$-200$ bucks for a watercooling system. But you might save money on a slower processor because you'll be able to overclock it.

That's about all I know.

8. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Well intergrated is good for some music but I want to play games and watch DVDs....I can never get a TV to watch mine. So although I don't need one I would like to get one for improved quality on movies/games.

9. th5418

th5418 Banned

integrated is good enough for games and DVD's. trust me.

10. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

it is, but then you don't get the kewl environmental audio stuff =D

and if you get into web design and stuff you can make ur own sound effects really kewl like.

11. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Well Zach is gone but he left as detailed a list of what he wants to do as he could so I will be responding. I am teaching him webdesign so later on he may it, I am pretty sure that he will need a video card.....he likes his 5.1 surround....a lot.

12. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

yeah.. if you're going for 5.1, i'd definitely get a sound card. I love good sound too.. and the one that comes with the motherboard just doesn't cut it for me.

13. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Go to geek grand central station. www.techtv.com Under Screen Savers you'll find how to build a badass computer. They should know, they make a living being geeks.

14. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I think I am going to start watching TechTV.......I already have it.

15. th5418

th5418 Banned

And i drool for that ultimate gaming rig.........:drool:

16. 220683

220683 IncGamers Member

Non of the useless fancy stuff, just down to earth solid gaming PC.

Link

17. Icarus

Icarus IncGamers Member

i like your avatar.

:thumbsup:

18. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

simple text 'tars rock :yep: :yep:

19. dorcusmalorcus

dorcusmalorcus IncGamers Member

Your buddy doesn't want to go cheap does he? He's asking for pretty much top of the line gear and he'll pay through the nose. If my son came to me with this list, I'd laugh at him...way to expensive. He's go the right idea, just needs to tone it down a bit. Here's what I'd do:

Windows XP -- whatever, but if you insist on XP, at least get Pro. My experience has been better with Pro than Home.

P4 3.06 -- If he ensures the mobo can handle up to 3.xx, then he could save a wad of cash and go with a P4 2.8 GHz. Not much speed difference and a huge savings.

1 gig of RAM -- ok, would help make up for the lower processor speed

250 Gig HD -- not up on my HD, but seems a bit high in a single drive. I know drives are cheaper now, but 120-180 seems ok to me. Since swapping hard drives is the easiest upgrade, starting lower won't hurt

Radeon 9800 Pro 128meg(256megs)-- stick with the 128. Tom's Hardware Guide did a review on cards not too long ago and the 256 didn't perform much better, at least not for the extra cash.

Mobo--I've had good luck with Asus.

Sound card -- as was pointed out, don't really need, but for games you need for cool enviro sound. I have an Audigy2 that I like quite a bit.

A floppy drive--I don't remember the last time I used mine, but they are only about $20 so get one if you want. Generic is fine.

DVD-R/CD-R/CD-RW drive--again, check out Tom's Hardware Guide, they usually have pretty good reviews on gear.

Heatsink--I can't remember which is better copper or aluminum. Just make sure you get a bigger one than what comes with the processor. They package the bare minimum with it.

Now, let me throw on my parent hat real quick. My first question to my son would be "what happens if it breaks? what warranty package comes with it?" Answer: none (parts I understand, but not whole system). Consider re-pitching a package computer (Apple, Dell, Gateway, whatever) with the spin of support package. That's the only reason I have a Dell on my desk and not another home made one.....my wife wanted the peace of mind that if it broke when I was on the road, someone would help her with the problem. It's worth a try and also saves the aggravation of waiting for parts and assembly.

Either way you decide, good luck. Hope you get what you want.

20. th5418

th5418 Banned

Damnit, ill build you a computer right now, uh, on newegg.com Since your friend looks like he has absolutely no budget, my dream comp here i come.

Intel Pentium 4/ 3.2 GHz Extreme Edition 800MHz FSB, 2MB L3 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - $945.00

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-4000 with Platinum-Silver Heat Spreader - $375.00

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 256MB DDRII, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "ULTIMATE RADEON 9800 PRO" - $329.00

Cooler Master Wave Master Case without Power Supply, Model "TAC-T01-E1C" - $190.00

ASUS 875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "P4C800-E DELUXE" - $178.99

Antec 550W Power Supply, Model "TRUE550 EPS12V" - $100.00

2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD - $469.98

Thats all ur harddrives there and coems out to a total of $ 2,537.97. By some software. Vuala.