Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Building a MF character from scratch

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Sidhe, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Sidhe

Sidhe IncGamers Member

Building a MF character from scratch

As said in the title, I would like to build a MF character from scratch. Why from scratch? Well, simply because I don't have many good items let alone green or gold ones. I only recently discovered ATMA, so before I downloaded that programme, I just sold everything I thought wasn't the right thing for my character(s), even all the green and gold items I found...

So what I would like to know is:

Which character would be a good one to build a MF character with when you don't have anything nice to dress him or her in? (I have some green and gold items, but they're all minor...)
    And what would be a good stategy/build for such a character?

Thank you very much in advance :lady:

- Sidhe -

2. farting bob

farting bob Banned

a fishymancer is the obvious choice, also look into hammerdins and meteorb sorcs. these 3 are easily the best MF'ers and dont rquire that much good items on them (especially the fishy)

3. Kremtok

Kremtok IncGamers Member

I reccommend the Sorceress, simply because she's able to kill quickly in so many different common magic finding areas. She's also the easiest to level, and while she has a greater need for good gear than the Necromancer, it's not by much, and stuff for her is easy to find. If you decide on the Sorc, let me know, and I'll send you some gear to get you started.

4. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Well, im pretty sure you need some basic items at first, so you should stick on nm/hell Meph for some time. For killing Meph I would recommend Meteorb sorc, she can wear decent amount of MF and deals nice damage to Meph with her FO. She is very fast running Meph because of her ability to teleport. Later when you have got nice bunch of basic items from him (like Shaft, Skullder's, Shako, Stormshield, Gaze etc...) you can make fishy or hammerdin for Pit and Baal to get those items Mephy can't drop. Just slowly progress and collect stuff, first on norm difficulty if you can't handle nm Meph, then start whacking him, get more stuff, then move to hell to kill Meph or Andy if Mephy is too tough. Of course you can use this sorc build to run Pindle too if you want, he drops quite much those high-end items

You can use fishy as your first MFer too, but it will be quite much slower than sorc

5. nikstone

nikstone IncGamers Member

Well i want make any suggestions for a character, there is a variety of them that can be choosen and i dont know your playing style etc..
    But I would suggest that you do some "searchs" in the forums for mf, magic find, magic find builds etc.
    When you find something interesting save the pages with the info on your hard disk.
    First of all you should download and read the single player faq, tips and character guides.
    There is also some magic find info there.
    So first youll have a lot of reading to do, lol.
    Take your time, eventually youll probably end up with more than one mf character, that is if you play alot.

To just make an example:

I have first started a avenger, he is not the typically mfinder but he is a good alround character and I have found some really rare items with him with less mfind chance then with my mf bonemancer.
    After that I have started a hammerdin and gave up on him because I am one of the people wich dont like the way the hammers fly.
    After that started a bonemancer he is my best and safest mfinder now, but he needs a lot of twinking.

Farting Bob clearly stated the best choices for untwinked characters.

I just wanted to give you some info about aproaching the whole matter.

Wish you a lot of good luck

See you around

nikstone

6. Disco-neck Ted

Disco-neck Ted The Dark Library

If you want a melee char, barbs are good, although moreso in 1.09 than 1.10. One good place to get MF at low levels is from sets. For example, Sigons boots give 50% MF when worn with any other two pieces of the set. If you don't have those items, look in the giveaway thread.

Again for melee, a good comination is sigons gloves/boots/belt. this gives +life, some resists, 30% ias, 10% life leech and 50% MF.

Any character can benefit from the angelic set (not the weapon- ugh! Maybe a fishymancer could use the weapon, but you'd be giving up a lot of plus skills available on a wand). The ring will give 50% MF when worn with 2 other pieces, and you can wear two rings for 100%. The ammy gives +75 life and +1 skills and is usable at lvl 16.

Tarnhelm is also good with +1 skills, up to 50% MF and usable at lvl 15. If you really absolutely cannot get any of these items, use ATMA to give your character a 3-socket hat and 4-socket armor from one of your higher chars and socket perfect topazes (lvl 18 needed).

For strategy, it used to make sense to run Meph along the way once you get to act III. In NM, Meph can drop most of the really useful stuff you need to get a character through Hell. However, the focus may now be on areas like The Pit. I've never heard of anyone doing NM Pit runs for gear, but you'd have to ask someone who has played 1.10 more than I have.

My skelliemancer started off with ~400% MF at lvl 18 in the beta using mostly the gear above. Not only did the items give good MF%, but tons of fire resistance, +135 life, +2 to all skills and so forth. Not bad for lvl 18.

I think you could go all the way through nightmare with that setup and by then you should be able to run good area for better gear.

7. Sidhe

Sidhe IncGamers Member

Thank you all for the info! :)

I can't really choose between a MeteOrb Sorc or a Fishymancer, so I decided to give both of them a try. Never played a necromancer before, so that should be fun to try :)

Also, when I was ATMA-ing the few things I have, I discovered I couldn't put 1.09 and 1.10 gear together in a 'giant stash'. Does that mean I can't use 1.09 gear on a 1.10 char?

- Sidhe -

8. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

sure you can, no problems with that

9. factotum

factotum IncGamers Member

I think you have to put the items onto a 1.09 character, open that character in the game to update them to 1.10, and then you can use them in 1.10--but you can't then use them in 1.09. Of course, my information may be out of date.

10. Sidhe

Sidhe IncGamers Member

The FAQ on the ATMA page says the same, but for some reason it doesn't work :scratch:

I opened my 1.09 sorceress in a 1.10 game, beat Duriel in NM, so I did a bit more then just open a game, but I still can't give some of her items to my new 1.10 sorceress...

Solutions anyone?

- Sidhe -

==edit==: never mind, tried it again and this time it worked :)

11. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

Disco, the Pit is very much like Pindle was in 1.09 (and still is). It is not a great place to MF as far as quantity goes. The only reason to hunt there is because in Hell it can produce things that simply can't drop from any high-quantity dropper. In NM it has no such benefit, so there is no point running it (except practice for Hell, I suppose).

Apart from Meph, the other good low-mid level MF target in 1.10 is NM and Hell Andariel. She takes a little longer, but is lower risk for most chars and because of the quest drop bug she drops a remarkable rate of set and unique items all the time. She also drops rings and amulets a lot more often than Meph so is an option if you aren't getting such things from him.