Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Building a Maul Barb

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by ImmortalChicken, Mar 1, 2004.

1. ImmortalChicken

ImmortalChicken IncGamers Member

Building a Maul Barb

I've tried sword barb, its very good. Now im wondering how i can build a barb based on Mauls(not Immortal King). ANy suggestions?

2. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

reminder

I think one thing to keep in mind is that I believe mauls have a shorter range. I use maul cuz the ik set requires it, but since you are not restricted you might consider a longer weapon that's still speedy enough.

3. liquidicem

liquidicem IncGamers Member

If your looking to change from a sword barb, I've had a real fun time with a polearm barb. The only real experiance that I have with a mual barb is one that uses the IK set.

4. Mikeyg

Mikeyg IncGamers Member

I've had great fun with a maul barb. I went with the Cranium Basher for the outrageous damage, 75% chance of crushing blow, 25 str and 20 min and max damage. It has a few other nice mods, decent ED and 25 res all.
    One thing to bare in mind is that when using said weapon u wont be using a shield. Be advised, this is not a viable build for PvP but just something fun to play with when u want to beat monsters to a bloody pulp. You can PvP with it but dont expect to come out on top very often.
    Another thing you'll notice is that with the large mauls such as ogre mauls and thunder mauls there is no dexterity requirement, and since ur not going to be blocking anything dexterity does become somewhat redundant. Thus u can further pump vitality. However, i would recommend that u max shout or iron skin since ur dexterity will be low and u have no shield. Getting that defence rating up can be life saving.
    2 Drawbacks with using the C. Basher, it requires 225 str to wield, but since it has no dex requirement it isnt to hard to reach. The final drawback is that it's required character level is 87. This can take quite alot of time before u are able to use it, and u'll have to use another maul in the mean time. I made do with the Gavel of Pain, and must admit it got hard going around the later levels. Now with the new 1.10 items u might want to try Windhammer, the elite orge maul which can be used from lvl 68 onwards.
    However its all made worth while when u get to play around with the C. Basher, i was doing well over 6K damage on a WW with my barb, built during 1.09 so no synergies and he still gets by with very few problems. Watch out for IM as always, but esp when ur doing 6K damage as it really is instant death.

Anway, some things to think about, enjoy

Mikey

5. ImmortalChicken

ImmortalChicken IncGamers Member

The best maul i've got right now is a windhammer. How does it compare the the Cranium Basher?

6. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

DangIt

Here's the URL to all the elite unique mauls, so you can check it out yourself:

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/elite/umaces.shtml

All this talk about WhackAMole (using these big hammers) is making me wanna play too :) How about the Cranium Basher on a Wolfie instead of a barb? Would that be better?

Oo Oo how about on a fanatical paladin? I can see this foaming-at-the-mouth paladin running around with this big o hammer leaving monster pancakes all over the place :D

7. Mikeyg

Mikeyg IncGamers Member

Yeah C. Basher can work just as well on a werewolf druid as it can on a barb. It all comes down to personal preference on characters. Personally i find the barb to be the better one of the two for making pancakes. Druids should stick to spamming twisters and what have you imo. Also the other elte unique thunder maul "Earth Shifter" is worth a gander if ur thinking of making a druid. +7 to elemental skills, 10 faster cast rate and 25% chance of casting lvl 14 erruption on striking. Granted its crushing blow is only 33% and its damage aint as high as the C. Basher but its offset with the other mods and the ability to use it at Clvl 69 make it a viable choice for those that are at one with nature and the animals.

With regards to the viability of Windhammer, yes theres no reason why u cant make a good maul barb with one of these. It has moderate ED 180 - 230, crushing blow of 50%, 60% IAS and a 33% chance of casting lvl 22 twister on striking. Because of the 60% ias it will take very little trying to hit the top breakpoint on WW.
    However although its a good maul you really should be aiming to use C.Basher at some point. Its the most damaging of all the elite mauls (top damage is more than double the top dammage of the windhammer) with awesome mods to boot. Infact none of the other elite mauls come close to touching the C. Basher on damage.
    After all why settle for second best? I'd reccomend using the windhammer, but only untill u can get ur hands on a C. Basher. It really is the best implement for making pancakes. Infact in a recent survey, 9/10 top chefs said they prefered the C. Basher as there implement of choice for creating the perfect pancake. (Sorry, gone off at a bt of a tangent there.)

Anyway, thats just my 2 cents. Or should that be more like a whole fistful of dollars?

Have fun,

Mikey

8. fiend!

fiend! Banned

The crazy attack speed of a WW Druid makes Windhammer a really good weapon. Mikey, you're pretty damn thorough. I can't add half a cent without saying what you already said!

9. Mikeyg

Mikeyg IncGamers Member

Cheers, the maul barb was the first char i ever made and is kinda close to my heart. I played with him alot and garnered alot of knowledge about the set up.
    Even tho i have better chars now, i still love playing him and just smooshing monsters into messy piles.

Mikey