Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Building a hybrid werebear/summoner, help please!

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Epsilon Eyez, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Epsilon Eyez

Epsilon Eyez Diabloii.Net Member

Building a hybrid werebear/summoner, help please!

Help me build my new hybrid druid! It will be a summon/melee druid, and I'm hoping that my summons won't just become pets as typical melee were-druid summons do. I'm also hoping that I don't just stand around idly while my summons kill stuff, like my old pure summoner. I guess you could say, I want the best of both the summon and melee worlds.

Trouble is, I'm a bit inexperienced with melee druids...

So, here is the basic idea I have so far:
    • 20 Summon Dire Wolves (current: 6)
    • 20 Summon Grizzly Bear (0)
    • 20 Heart of the Wolverine (3)
    • 10 Lycantrophy (9)
    • 1+ Werebear? (1)
    • 1+ Maul (1)
    • 1+ Shockwave (10)
    • 1 Hunger? (1)
    • STR - Not sure of an exact value. (40?)
    • DEX - None. (Base)
    • VIT - Everything, and more. (115)
    • ENR - None. (Base)

This build is focusing on HoW so that both me and my minions get more effective at melee (heck, HoW might be the only thing that enables me to melee--nonetheless...). And there is a sore lack of solidity and sureness in my build, what with all the ?'s and +'s. However, I'm confident in my choices otherwise.

Also, I have a couple of issues regarding the future of my character:

• AR - HoW not enough? Maul--required or not?
    • Werebear or Lycantrophy (bias towards Werebear)
    • Shield with max block, shield without, or two-handed, how do I kill?
    • Hunger, is it necessary?

Here is my planned equipment, I'm trying to strike a balance between melee effectiveness and skill points, except for weapon and shield, which I may switch, and I very happily will. (By the way, sorry if you hate all the lists and verbosity)

• Helm - Jalal's Mane - A balance of melee effectiveness and skill points!
    • Amulet - Highlord's Amulet - A perfect balance of melee effectiveness and skill points!
    • Gloves - Anything I come across, no +skills in this department so melee will do
    • Weapon - Something strong, yet stats effecient. Naj's staff? Ribcracker?
    • Shield - May not be one if I use a two-hander.
    • Ring/s - Bul-Kathos Wedding Band - Decent, though I may try instead to find a good dual leech + res ring.
    • Belt - Arachnid Mesh/Verdungos - I can't decide between skills and 10% slow, or full tanking status.
    • Boots - War Travelers - I guess it'll do.
    • On Switch - Spirit + ??? - for summoning. Might be awkward switching to melee and summon but it'll do.

Bellik is currently level 25, and doing well in Hell running alongside a trapsin.

2. xpumafangx

xpumafangx Diabloii.Net Member

Ok first thing first weapon and rings, 2 rings 2xravenfrosts high ar on them that might or will fix all your attack ratting issues. Now the weapon your weapon pick should ALL WAYS be a really really really reallly realllllll y fast weapon. I say since this is for pvm. a good pick should be a guessing 1 handed = griz caddy with sheals in it or 3x40/15%ias jewels +1 Lo rune. With the sheals the damage might be a little weak. 2 handed go with a 3 socted tomb reaver with 3 sheals in it. Or a upped ribcracker with a sheal in it.

3. Epsilon Eyez

Hmmm, I managed to forget about Raven Frosts!
    Also, I don't have a Griz caddy or all those fancy jewels, so a Ribcracker is more in my favor.

4. Yossarian

Yossarian Diabloii.Net Member

I have a wearbear summoner I use now and here is his setup

# 20 Summon Dire Wolves
    # 20 Summon Grizzly Bear
    # 20 Heart of the Wolverine
    # 20 Poison Creeper
    # 1 Lycantrophy
    # 1 Werebear
    # 1 Maul
    # 1 Shockwave

* Helm - Jalal's Mane socket with all res jewel. Good rare could be better.
    * Amulet - +2 summon rare with Str and all res
    * Gloves - 40 Chancies, Dracs or LOH
    * Weapon - Beast Zerker (helps me and pets)
    * Shield - SS socket with Pdiamond (block is only about 35% though)
    * Ring/s - Raven and Rare with stats, LL, and res
    * Belt - So many good choices here and I keep flipflopping.
    * Boots - Waterwalks or Gores (I use WW)
    * On Switch - Spirit + Hoto
    * Armor- Enigma, COH is also a good choice.

I also use torch, anni and a few Summon GCs. Bear lists at around 4000 damage and I do near 3000+. Merc is eht COH, pride HF act 2 merc. Got rid of my might merc because the slower monsters makes it easier to keep him alive and the 170+ed is not that big a deal after the cont, fant and HOW.

3000 ish life
    max res
    60% chance to hit. If you give up some life and near max your block you'll ramp your AR enough I think.

Basically I let pets engage and I run in behind and shockwave. Then beat monsters down.

Phy immunes are a problem as it's slow killing. You can change the Pride and HF merc for a Might and Reapers Tool one.

5. Ed from Russia

Ed from Russia Diabloii.Net Member

Since you're probably focusing on PvM I'd probably include Fury to make your wolf easier to play.

That would mean something like:
    20 Dire Wolves
    20 Grizzly
    20 Heart of Wolverine
    20 Fury
    1+ Lycantrophy

If you go the werebear way I'd replace Fury by Maul. Both increase your AR.

6. Epsilon Eyez

Yossarian, your build looks like it would be a lot better, but I cannot afford a Beast or an Enigma. However, I wouldn't mind remaking the character once I did get those items.

As for the questions, they were mostly indirectly answered.
    - AR needs a boost, either from Raven Frost rings, Beast, or additional Maul points
    - Lycantrophy > Werebear
    - Weapon and shield or Ribcracker (max block not required)
    - Hunger seems nigh unnecessary

Bellik is level 28 currently, just having taken down the Ancients swiftly. In retrospect, I should have saved the points from Lycantrophy to pump up my HoW, as my own AR is falling below 80%.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, yes, this is PvM, running the game with another character, twinked a bit.

7. Karp

Karp Banned

you can solo the game with this shockbear hybrid:

one point in the following:

werewolf, lycanthropy, werebear, maul, shockwave.
    ravens, spirirt wolves, dire wolves, oak sage (possibly poison creeper and carrion vine, useful for corpse eating and life)

you will shift up and use shockwave in bear form to stun everything around you.

you will max the following:

heart of the wolverine
    grizzly bear
    molten boulder
    volcano
    armageddon

gear on the cheap:

shael jalals mane

wizard spike OR if you want to melee you can use a custom phase blade and put gore riders on for the crushing blow. (no need to melee with this build though IMO)

i belive rain armor is the +2 druid armor, vipermagi or stealth are useful, and enigma or coh for high end.

aldurs boots

magefists

stormshield is the best or whistans if you can't afford it.

a +2 druid amulet or a maras. if you use a crafted or rare look for high life, str, res, run/walk or fcr.

bul kathos + ravenfrost in the ring slots

arachnids for a belt.

use a mang songs lesson to shift and summon your bear and spirit.

the other build option would be to max fireclaws instead of armageddon and to rely on your grizzly bear for physical damage, and yourself use a phase blade.

8. Yossarian

Maybe a cheap Grief is an option a low 350 ish one is only 1 hr as a rule. It won't help the pets but you won't have to worry about AR at all. Also look at making a LawBringer.

Removes immunes with and amps your damage 50% for pets. Also undead take a beating plus solid elemental damage and the -50 to hit mod. Could be a cheap choice for you.

For a dirt cheap armor look at Que-Hegan's Wisdom. Lots of nice mods on it for you.

One last cool weapon choice that can be really cheap. See if you can find a low CTA made in an elite weapon. Some people have done that and they sell for peanuts. They have solid damage and the BO too.

9. batuchka

batuchka Diabloii.Net Member

Hi all! I just returned to the game last week and i am really interested in this build (for PvM)! However seeing the new runewords, i have this idea to consult with you guys:

Max Fireclaws (for AR vs superuniqs and act bosses)
    Max Lyncantrophy (for life/duration)
    Max Grizzly
    Max Dire wolves
    rest shockwave

no druid spirits, use CTA+ Spirit Monarch for BO?
    Might merc w/Eth Pride CV

Gear:

Delerium Pelt w/+3 fireclaws and +3shockwave
    Chains of Honor Wirefleece (+2 all skills/bonus to undead/demons, nice resists, dr *and* looks cool hehe)
    Ber Stormshield
    40ias Grief PB (7 fpa fireclaws with shockwave support)
    highlords
    dracs (life tap)
    gores
    trangs belt (cbf/life)
    dual leecher rare ring
    BK ring

I always go for Oak sage but heard they die easily this patch so what if i cta+spirit for BO? The gear selection is my attempt at finding the right balance between nice melee dmg, resists, +skills (for BO/Summons) and deadly strike. I dislike having lots of prebuff stuff in stash and switching out :p For more defensive minded players maybe instead of might+Pride go with holy freeze+pride merc?Normal game play would be with 3 dire wolves while grizzly for act boss? What u guys think?

10. Epsilon Eyez

Thanks for the advice, Yossarian, I'll check for those equips. I haven't traded much at all so I know next to nothing about the trading scene.

And Karp, I might try out your build, but that's for another time!

11. Yossarian

Some of your orginal gear choices are very expensive on west ladder.

pgems-1hr * Helm - Jalal's Mane - A balance of melee effectiveness and skill points!
    1hr * Amulet - Highlord's Amulet - A perfect balance of melee effectiveness and skill points!
    5 hrs * Ring/s - Bul-Kathos Wedding Band -
    5-25 hr * Belt - Arachnid Mesh/Verdungos - I can't decide between skills and 10% slow, or full tanking status.
    1hr-5 (MF) * Boots - War Travelers - I guess it'll do.

You can buy a HR now for 15-20 pgems though or 5-10 p amtheyst.

Nigma is dirt cheap by comparison (2 hr) and really helps this build shine. TPing on to a monster is a good way to direct your forces. Then SS to bear and kick butt. Also a low Druid torch might be had for a 1hr and is a must investment.

12. Yossarian

Your FC damage will be way to low to be of much use. I'd drop those 20 in Lycan to 1 point (let + skills boost it) and put those 20 points into syns for FC to boost it. Also you don't need to max shockwave. Once it's stunning for 7-8 seconds its gravy. Just blast off another one after time expires.

13. batuchka

batuchka Diabloii.Net Member

Thks Yossarian (of Catch-22 fame i presume? :p) Well i was only sinking pts into FC for the attack rating bonus not for its fire damage. ITD on grief blows on act bosses/champions :( Shockwave maybe rest of points? But ya PIs would be a pain hehe On west dtorches are rather cheap these days so i agree that those aren't out of reach ^^

14. Yossarian

assuming +7 skills (EASY TO GET) with one syn maxxed you'll
    FC
    Attack Rating: +440%
    Fire damage: 2197 - 2343

Pop 10 more in at high lvs
    Fire damage: 3093 - 3298

enough to take out immunes.

15. Epsilon Eyez

Well, most of the items I listed, I have.

I have a lot of uniques, I just have trouble in the runes and runeword department.

16. safetypro

safetypro Diabloii.Net Member

Here's a couple equipment suggestions which are somewhat cheap and very effective.
    Gloves, Boots and Belt - IK set parts
    Weapon 1 - IK Maul (2xShael runes, combined with other IK set parts it has crushing blow and does huge elemental and physical damage. On top of that the gloves and shael runes provide just enough IAS to reach 6 frame attack)
    The IK Maul is perfect for this build because of the speed and elemental damage which of course will be imortant for physical immunes in Hell.
    Weapon and shield on switch - HOTO flail and Spirit Monarch (+5 skills for summoning) note: if HOTO too expensive use Dark Clan Crusher or Spirit Sword for +4 skills.
    Armor - CoH runeword. Somewhat expensive but very effective. 65 all resists, 20 str, 8 LL and +2 all skills.
    I recently cleared the game with my wearbear/summoner using the above equipment. There is a great guide on this build called the "Mighty Kodiak" by SSoG. If you cannot find the build here, please PM me and I will send you the link.
    Hope this helps.
    safetypro

17. Cdnexpat

Cdnexpat Diabloii.Net Member

I would also recommend the "mighty kodiac" I am working on the summoner variant and it is a boatload of fun. Since runewords are an issue you could go with upped Duriel shell for armor though duress is recommended for CB. G Face is pretty much required as a helm. I'm using a 4 Shael Griz caddy for a weapon but IK maul is one of the top weapon choices. If you have it you could wear the IK belt gloves and boots as they give good bonuses.

18. Epsilon Eyez

So far, I've hit heavy AR problems. And switching to a Might merc did not help. I'm wearing Angelics amulet + ring but it doesn't seem to help.

I'm hoping not to revert into a pure Summoner with Shock Wave, but then again, I haven't maxed out HoW or Maul yet. I'm hoping those will help me hit at the 80 something range.

My AR is currently in in the 60's and 70's, depending on the monster.

19. safetypro

safetypro Diabloii.Net Member

Maybe stay with a concentration Merc until you are a higher level. Try some additional AR charms and pump HoW for the next few levels. Also use weapons with nice AR bonuses. Should have Ravenfrost as well to increase dex and provide good AR. Try to use plus skill gear whenever possible to increase HoW's effect. Also put plus skill weapon and shield on switch when summoning HoW and summons to get them at a higher level.
    Just a few ideas, hope they help
    safetypro

20. OmegaHatred

OmegaHatred Diabloii.Net Member

re:

I've noticed that no one will put any points into Spirit Wolves...how come? I know they're weak, but don't they add a passive AR bonus to Dire Wolves and Grizzly? Also with just the 1 point into Lycanthropy and Werebear and the right weapons can Diablo or Baal be pwned? or is this just a newb question lol? And I've noticed that no one has mentioned Lastwish for a weapon. One last thing...safetypro mentioned the IK parts. I've looked on the Item sets and it says that it gives AR bonuses...now does that only work for Barbs or everyone who wears it?