Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Build My Assassin

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by krzyhobo, May 25, 2005.

1. krzyhobo

krzyhobo IncGamers Member

Build My Assassin

So I've never played an assassin before. The character will be entirely untwinked and possibly HC, I haven't made up my mind about that yet.

To get right to the point I need the build to meet these requirements:

High survivability
    Able to solo clear the WSK and Baal with relative ease
    Just for fun I would like to max the shadow master skill

I read the LS trapper guide in the strategy compendium but would like to rework the skill distribution to allow for my ridiculous shadow master obsession.

The guide recommends focusing on either CBS as a secondary (and boss killing) skill or a high level DS. Which is more effective for those endless MF runs on Mephisto/Baal/Pindle?

I was thinking of something along the lines of
    20 FB
    20 CBS
    20 LS
    18 SWeb
    1 DS
    20 SM

But this requires what would, for me, be an insanely high level. The assassin doesn't necessarily need to be a trapper, it just seemed like a good place to start with assassins, especially if I go HC.

Thanks in advance.

2. Nautilus

Nautilus IncGamers Member

I wish I had advice for you here, but at the moment I am still running my trapsin through nightmare. I hesitate to say how your build strategy will play out in hell without having actually brought a character using those skills up there.

3. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

Put 1 point into Cloak of Shadows. Now you can do whatever silly build you want, and your enemies will just stand around waiting to die. I promise it is that good.

-GG

4. krzyhobo

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Necrolemming - what did you use for boss killing if not CBS? Just LS while feeding your merc potions?

5. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

I'd definetly max DS and not CBS. It never ceases to amaze me how people underestimate corpse explosion skills just because damage doesn't go up with slvl... :D

6. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Psychic hammer all the way. :thumbsup:
    Or, for a trapsin, go for DS, as Nf said CE is the best offensive skill in the game IMO and combine that with good lightning damage, anything within a screen or more can be CE'ed automatically.
    CBS may be the best for baal or meph running, if you place it right on top of them, but for general questing or area running, it takes too long to kill anything, instead it'll slowly kill everything on screen.

7. krzyhobo

Yeah. I had Pat'd a Fishymancer prior to my hard drive clean sweep - I definitely appreciate the effectiveness of CE. I've been rethinking my approach to be something more like

20 SWeb
    20 LS
    20 DS
    20 CBS
    1 CoS, 1 BoS, 3-4 for prereqs
    Everything else in Shadow Master

Fire Blast doesn't increase damage for either of my two primary traps (LS and DS) and so I've thrown it out as a possibility. My only concern is boss-killing power. Though I've obviously never had any experience with it I feel like there's something I'm missing out on as far as boss killing goes. I would like this character to be able to run WSK/Baal at relatively high players settings later on - is this even feasible?

8. Nightfish

It's possible. If you're SC you could also use my assassin build I guess. The only reason I don't run the WS K with her is that one mistake will be her last.

Boss killing can be accomplished with crushing blow on your merc. Lightning immunes will be kinda hard on your pure trapper. CE can deal with them on low player settings but gets inefficient on higher ones as your only way of damaging them is your merc. My assassin would definetly be able to handle those with 30k physical damage. Problem with her is that she can't wear 700% MF, kill and survive. 300-400% is probably doable, especially with charms.

9. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

20 FB
    20 LS
    20 DS

5+ in Fade
    10+ in SM
    1+ in weapon block (if you go claw-claw)
    1 in CoS

Other points wherever you need them. You can beat hell with this build, untwinked. I don't usually put a point in MB, because my Shadow casts it pretty frequently anyway... but if you wish, put a point there as well.

The great thing about FB is that every trap is a synergy for it... the mana cost is low, and it makes a nice back-up attack for lightning immunes. Plus, it gives you the extra shots for DS.

10. krzyhobo

Skunkbelly - Interesting. Does LS really do enough damage to be a primary attack with only one synergy? I suppose with a pretty hefty amount of points leftover they'd be going to synergy skills.

Nightfish - I've definitely read your guide. It would give me the opportunity to build a better understanding of the one character I've never used since it's a hybrid build. Hmmm...I suppose there's no law against starting two characters at once :D By the way - since I'm such a |\|00|3 I've always had one question about your build, namely is the idea to unleash the charges using a regular physical attack?

11. Nightfish

Surprisingly, it does. Consider the each synergy adds 240% damage, so the first one takes it from 100% to 340%, that's 3.4 times base damage. The second synergy takes it from 340% to 580%. That's just 1.7 times more. The third synergy takes it from 580% to 820%, which is 1.4 times as much. So, as you see, in relative amounts each synergy does less than the last.

Yes, it is. ;) I underestimated how many people have never played an assassin and assumed that was common knowledge... >_<

On a sidenote, you can completely skip shadowmaster if you're in SC. In favor of a second synergy for LS / DS or venom, for example.

12. cft

cft IncGamers Member

20 LS
    20 DS
    20 Fire blast
    Shock Web 1
    CBS 1+ all others

2x +3 trap claws on main
    2x +3 shadow claws on switch,
    assuming +2 other skills from gear = +8 to skills.

to get lvl 17 SM, you need 9 clicks, so:
    SM: 9

With the prereqs below, this covers 79 skills (78 without MB), so lvl 68 (67) is needed (assuming all 12 quest skills). The next 19 skills should goto CBS to max it, taking you to lvl 87 (86).

Alternatively, you could boost DS last, instead of CBS. That would give you a powerful CBS for boss killing, but your DS would be less effective at corpse exploding until late Hell.

Stats:
    Weapon block's blocking does not require DEX to be effective, like shield blocking. You want only enough DEX to use your claws (~50 for normal claws, ~70-80 for exceptional claws) and only enough STR for your gear.

Put some in energy, maybe, but I'd say put it all in VIT, and just buy lots of blue potions.

Others/prereqs:
    claw mastery 1 (prereq)
    weapon block 1
    Burst of Speed 1 (prereq and nice for lvling to mid 30s)
    Fade 1 (use with +skills)
    psychic hammer 1
    cloak of shadows: 1
    Mind blast: 1 or 0
    Shadow warrior: 1

13. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

As NF mentioned above: Yep! :) In fact, DS alone does enough damage with a single lightning synergy that you can use it as your primary attack, if you're too lazy to switch back and forth between LS and DS. In fact, that's what I tend to do, unless I'm in a particularly tough battle. You can make a Guardian with that build, even without particularly fancy gear.

As you suggest, I do end up putting some additional late-game points into more synergies. I don't recall off the top of my head how many points ended up in CBS, but it certainly wasn't even close to being maxed.

14. Hiedran

Hiedran IncGamers Member

I recommend also putting 1 point into Blade Fury. With the right equip you can put down five traps and then recover the mana using BF. Plus you can stack nifty effects like Crushing Blow or Open Wounds. And you don't need IAS or FCR since you're pretty much at max speed. (Think of it as a minigun with special effects.)

15. Day

Day IncGamers Member

I'd agree with Skunkbelly and CFT and

20 LS
    20 DS
    20 Fire blast

I'd also agree having shadowmaster cast at level 17 (its really fine!) and then dumping the remainder in CBS (after putting whatever you need in fade/clawblock (I aimed for 49-50%) - to get your resistances and blocking plus the other 1 pointers). However if you want a max shadowmaster (you'll just have less in CBS) - you'll still be fine.

Also I like the 2x plus 3 traps and 2x plus shadow master sets on switch suggested by CFT. An alternative is 2 x plus 2 Assasin skills - the claws are easy enough to shop (say 10-15 mins per claw) and a CB weapon eg Black Runeword (or even Crushflange and Shield on switch and a single point in Blade Fury - which my assassin used. remmber though if you switch you lose your claw blok so be careful - the CB is very good against bosses.

I would go nil energy to get more vit.

16. krzyhobo

Good advice guys. Seems like there is a pretty straightforward concensus on how to build the most effective trapper for my needs here.

Much appreciated and I'll fill you in after she makes a little progress. :)