Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Build for bowazon, how does it sound

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by KreepyThaDruid, Mar 6, 2004.

1. KreepyThaDruid

KreepyThaDruid IncGamers Member

Build for bowazon, how does it sound

Im new to bowzons :D Just wondering how this build sounds for PvM

1 inner sight
    1 slow missiles
    1 decoy
    20 valk
    8 dodge
    8 avoid
    8 evade
    20 crit strike
    10 penetrate
    10 pierce
    1 magic arrow
    20 multi-shot
    1 guided arrow
    1 cold arrow

Probably gonna be using full ma'vinas

Any comments/suggestions on this build would be appreciated, thanks in advance :)

2. importpsycho

importpsycho IncGamers Member

absoulty no
    multishot is not even gonna cut tofu in hell
    even with maxed critical strike
    Mavina sucks, if you dont have WF/BOTD then dont even think about starting bowzon..
    if you must use Mavina, go with freezing arrow

3. KreepyThaDruid

lol

Ok, now that I just found a windforce, lol....

Lets see what you think about this setup... :)

20 valk
    20 crit
    20 penetrate
    20 pierce
    20 strafe
    1 in all the pre-requisites
    (110 total) probably wouldnt be reached lol, so, I would most likely do, 10 less penetrate and pierce, does this sound like a good setup for doing hell? :)

4. Aksama

Aksama IncGamers Member

20 crit=waste, 20 penetrate=waste, 20 pierce=waste

Just one or two points in pen. will be find if you have a few plus skills, same w/ crit strike, and the same with pierce imo.

5. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

as others have pointed out 20 critical strike is a total waste

it can even be left at 1 point and bosted by +skills

most get to max 9 in critical strike

about pierce get it up to 8 with +skills and use razortail(33% pierce) for 98% pierce in total.

20 in penetrate is not always a waste if you dont like to have 80% or less to hit in hell it can be a good idea to max it.

hum saw you though about useing mavinas for that set a frost maiden is a good build check out freyas post about frostmaidens. if you want to use the set.

also if you have a few plus skills the evade skills usualy dont need more then 1 point but thats up to your own preference. i hate evade lock so i tend to have it as low as possible.

6. Broncobiv2

Broncobiv2 IncGamers Member

Wow. These are two of the most awful posts I've ever read concerning advice to a new bowazon player.

First of all, to importpsycho. If you don't have WF or a BotD, don't even think about starting a bowazon? What? There are plenty of possible end-game bows out there. It all depends on stat placement, other equipment, and playing style. That's such an absurd statement. Maybe it would be true if you said "If you don't have WF/BotD, then don't even think about starting a cookie-cutter bowazon." Just to name a few perfectly playable bows, depending on all the other factors that must be considered when starting any character, there's Eaglehorn, Buriza, Witchwild String, Lycander's Aim, M'avina's, and Goldstrike. Those could all be end-game bows, although some mught need to be upgraded. Only use WF/BotD...that's ridiculous. And secondly, multi is perfectly useful these days. Just don't max it. I'd say level 10 is pretty good. To me, it can be a better crowd controller than strafe when you have big crowds. Strafe is better against medium-sized crowds, but multi still has a place.

Aksama, you just laid it out a bit too plainly with your "waste" visual. Just one or two points in penetrate, CS, and pierce, even with +skills, may not be good enough. It all depends on what other gear you're wearing and what type of zon you're making. If you can't afford to pump dex to 350+, then you might need more points in penetrate. Particularly if you're a strafeazon. Critical Strike should be around 10-14 before diminishing returns kill it too badly. Double damage is incredible helpful, and one or two points, even with some +skills, isn't going to be enough. The worst of your blanket statements was about pierce. Pierce can be one of the most effective skills a zon has. If you're wearing Razortail, you'll need about level 8 to get near max pierce (98%). If you want to wear something else in the belt slot, you'll need more points in pierce to be more effective. Heck, if you use Buriza (which has 100% pierce), you need 0 points in pierce, so the 1 or 2 you suggested will be wasted.

Come on people, if you're going to take the time to post advice to a new zon player (or anyone for that matter), at least make it helpful, and more importantly, correct.

7. KreepyThaDruid

:d

Thanks everyone for your comments/suggestions, Much appreciated :) :)

8. deanx0r

deanx0r IncGamers Member

I am surprised no one mentioned Guided Arrow.
    Against bosses, it is one of the best skill ever.
    I have it maxed with strafe, and they are an incredible duo.

9. egervari

egervari IncGamers Member

As much as I'd like to agree with the above post (Broncobiv2) in it's logic, in practice that statement only works well when you have no items. Most good bowazons are wearing +2 skills helm (15% nightwing, Andys) or CoA. They are also using Chains of Honor (+2), botd crusader bow (+2), some rare +2 gloves with 20 ias, +15 dex and resists, and may be using bk rings, arachnids or a +2 ammy with dual leech depending if they need more leech and attack rating on the rings or not or nosferatus.

In any case, most good zons will have a lot of +skills, so when you say putting 10-14 (or whatever) points into something that is not a critical skill, it's actually a waste.

I'd suggest:
    20 cold arrow
    20 freezing arrow
    20 strafe
    20 valk
    1-7 in cs (whatever you are confortably when all gear is equipped)
    1 in d/a/e
    1 in multishot

at least this gives you everything you need and most of yours skills like dodge, evade, etc. will be reaching the diminishing returns without having to put max values in them. This will also give you like 30 more points to do with whatever you want (like maxing guided perhaps), but this is essential build

10. Broncobiv2

Broncobiv2 IncGamers Member

It all depends on who you are. You can't lay out everyone's equipment like that. That is only one possible zon build. There are dozens more that can be just as fun and workable.

Personally, I'm not going to use a BotD or CoH beacause I only use high runes that I find myself. I'd rather not trade for items that are most likely duped (Vex, Ist, Ber, Zod for those runewords). Not sure if there was duping on ladder, but I'm non-ladder. As far as BK rings, I don't see that happening. One ring will most likely be a Raven Frost, and for the other, I can usaully find something better than BK. For the ammy, none of my zons use a +2 dual leech ammy. One uses a Mara's (+2 skills), another has Eye of Etlich (+1), another Atma's, etc. It all depends on the build. Not every zon needs to use the equipment you outlined to be good.

Just because my zons don't have +8 or +10 to skills, it doesn't mean that they're not "good zons". They just have specific equipment tailored to their builds. Figure out what type of zon you wanna make, and then you can figure out how many +skills you can get, and how your stats should be spread.

11. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

MS is viable in hell. in some cases, even better than strafe/FA. maxxing it is not necessary though, maybe 10-12 after +skills.

i like buriza (no need for upgrade) as a final bow. :)