Build Diary - Untwinked Sorceress: How to make a Magic Find machine

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
UPDATE: THIS PROJECT IS CANCELLED DUE TO TOO MANY "play x or y instead".

Diablo II seems to attract new and old-new players now and then. There are many beginner guides out there and build diaries.

This will be my take on it.

I will play a Sorceress: Softcore, untwinked (no item transfer) and with Ladder only runewords enabled. Lord of Destruction expansion, patch 1.14D

Goal is to first beat Hell Ball with a Meteor/FireBall/Frozen Orb build.
I have done many ladder restarts with such sorc, but don't think I have actually done one in Single player - at least not from scratch. So this will be some kind of re-experience of my "ladder days".

After "mat-ing" her, we will respec her into a Blizzard Sorc, focusing on magic find (MF) and do some (well quite many) runs of the usual suspects (Andariel, Mephisto, Diablo, Ancient Tunnels, Lower Kurast chests, ... )

Goal for the second "farming"-phase
We want to have this gear on her:
- Unique shako with Ptopaz
- Vipermagi upped with Ptopaz
- Heart of the Oak / Gull / Alibaba
- Call to arms
- Spirit Monarch's
- Rare boots with resistances and MF
- Rare rings with res and MF / Nagelrings
- Chance guards gloves (40% MF or go home)
- Goldwrap belt upped for more slots
- Rare amulet with +skills, res (and MF)
- Gheeds charm with +30% MF

Will just settle for the 63% faster cast rate breakpoint (roll 33% FCR Spirit or higher + Vipermagi)
We should be able to get 300% better chance of getting magic items pretty easy, which is a nice number to start off with.
In main-hand we will use either Gull or Ali-baba (double Ist?)

For Lower Kurast, drop MF and get 105% FCR and some saftey (like everlasting suffixes) and perhaps also the 86% FHR breakpoint. A reapers toll on the mercenary would be sweet too. yes yes it's softcore but still not fun to die.

Merc:
Ethereal Elite Insight weapon
Ethereal Stone armor
Vampire gaze helm

Farming goals:
Five different Set/Unique items from the highest end of the "rare item list":
like Grandfather, Asterons, IK armor, ... , that stuff

Dropping Death fathom would of course be really awesome! Will save the last socket quest for that one.

I also have a series on YouTube dedicated to her. See links below to the individual "chapters".

There will be one update per act and difficulty, and then updates now and then like "results of 500 Mephisto runs".

I hope this will be of much use for newer and returning players.

Enjoy!

Links to individual "chapters" of her career
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 0: Introduction (click me)
Chapter 1: Act I Normal (click me)
Chapter 2: Act II
Chapter 3: Act III
Chapter 4: Act IV
Chapter 5: Act V
Chapter 6: Act I Nightmare
Chapter 7: Act II
Chapter 8: Act III
Chapter 9: Act IV
Chapter 10: Act V
Chapter 11: Act I Hell
Chapter 12: Act II
Chapter 13: Act III
Chapter 14: Act IV
Chapter 15: Act V
Chapter 16: Transition to Blizzard Sorceress
and then we'll see

Last edited:

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
Episode 0: introduction to the project.

I talk about... well basically what is written in the first post in this thread :p

Last edited:

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Cool. Good luck. This might indeed be useful to new and returning people. Although I would go Blizzard right from the start ;).

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
Cool. Good luck. This might indeed be useful to new and returning people. Although I would go Blizzard right from the start ;).
Yeah of course one could go with Blizzard from the start too but I think beginners would have a more satisfactory experience with a dual tree sorc. If I were to choose myself I would do Hydras and Nova for the first phase and then respec into Blizzard once she is Mat (I love hydras!).

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
And I also wanted to re-experience the stuff I did on ladder resets back in the day, but alone so to say. I always started with a Mete-Orb sorc then.

I have now added some kind of "farming goals" for her

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
Episode 1: done with act 1 & arrival at Lut Gholein (Normal)

I like to do a couple of countess runs in order to get a basic supply of low runes and gain a couple of levels.
The highest rune she can drop in Normal is Ral, with drop chance 1:3 on playersX = 1.
If you do countess runs and you play with \playersX make sure you set it to x=1 before you enter Tower cellar level 5. This is "important" since Countess have different drop chance of runes on different player settings. It is maxed at playersX = 1.
I did the runs until I had 4 Ral runes (9 runs in total, so pretty lucky outcome).

I want to be able to make Stealth runeword (chest armor) and Ancient pledge (shield) asap. Some prefer to make Leaf (staff) for +fire skills, but I like to use Shield + Sorc orb.

Now we are level 16 and should be about level 24 when we get to Act II boss.

Leaf Runeword
http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Leaf_Rune_Word

Stealth Runeword
http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Stealth_Rune_Word

Ancient's pledge Runeword
http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Ancient's_Pledge_Rune_Word

Savage Polearm Horadric Cube recipe
http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Savage

Last edited:

Baltha

Diabloii.Net Member
If you do countess runs and you play with \playersX make sure you set it to x=1 before you enter Tower cellar level 5.
I think it was @jiansonz who discovered that you can actually clean the two side rooms of the tower cellar level 5 at /p8 and then lower the player settings to kill countess herself, if you are inclined to do so. I don't bother myself, and it's not important in the goal of your project, but it is nice to know if you are playing a single pass tournament or something like that.

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
I think it was @jiansonz who discovered that you can actually clean the two side rooms of the tower cellar level 5 at /p8 and then lower the player settings to kill countess herself, if you are inclined to do so. I don't bother myself, but it is nice to know if you are playing a single pass tournament.
Yeah, you have to make sure the "spawn radius" do not reach Countess spawn location and the two side rooms should be safe for that.
This diary is aimed towards "beginner" players so most of the "tips" will be stuff that is "bullet proof" so to say xD

logoutzero

Diabloii.Net Member
The "Savage Polearm" recipe works with any belt, not specifically a Belt.

Edit: For the sake of completion, any staff-type will work, so long as it is not of the 2x4 inventory squares type, simply because all the ingredients will not fit.

The recipe is really any staff + any belt + any kris + any diamond. I don't know if Exceptional and Elite versions are interchangeable, and I don't have .txt files to scour anymore to double check.

Last edited:

darkstarhub

Diabloii.Net Member
Awesome @drmalawi

I have considered switching to Meteor to synergize with Fireball (on my FO/FB Sorc) instead of Fire Bolt just to be able to drop a Meteor every now and then because I love the skill. I am looking forward to watching your journey even though I am not a newb.

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
The "Savage Polearm" recipe works with any belt, not specifically a Belt.

Edit: For the sake of completion, any staff-type will work, so long as it is not of the 2x4 inventory squares type, simply because all the ingredients will not fit.

The recipe is really any staff + any belt + any kris + any diamond. I don't know if Exceptional and Elite versions are interchangeable, and I don't have .txt files to scour anymore to double check.

Thanks for clarification! I can check later if exceptional and elite verisions works too.

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
Awesome @drmalawi

I have considered switching to Meteor to synergize with Fireball (on my FO/FB Sorc) instead of Fire Bolt just to be able to drop a Meteor every now and then because I love the skill. I am looking forward to watching your journey even though I am not a newb.
Ah yeah Meteor and Hydra are my fav Sorc skills.

We are all newbies in this game, think most of us still learns new stuff at least on monthly basis :)

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
Did I miss anything? What's wrong with going 2 elements for the initial playthrough? Like max said it's mainly a thing of earlier patches were no respecs existed. Unless you want to save Ancients for 98-99, there is no reason to go Blizzard only first (and even in that case the Den quest rewards my be enough). Especially untwinked it's just going to make things harder and slower for no reason.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
It won't make things harder, as you can just skip content with a Blizz Sorc by teleporting past things. AT, Pindle and Meph are where you want to make your first stop, no Sorc is stronger there than Blizz.

Having said that, maxicek and I just made a suggestion. In the end you just have to do what you want to do most. Efficiency isn't everything.

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
It's over guys. Character is deleted and I will not post anything on these forums, ever again.

I don't have time to argue and debate, I just wanted to make a casual play-through that could be of benefit for newer and returning players.

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
I guess it depends, if you're just heading for Mephisto and then back to AT for ages I guess it's no big deal indeed. Personally I usually Pat/Mat early on, and many areas you need to pass past A3 (think CS, Ancients, other A5 areas...) are a major pain when going Blizzard only without a very strong Merc. :rolleyes:
It's over guys. Character is deleted and I will not post anything on these forums, ever again.
Was about time, bye bye then. :p