Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Build Completion: The Clervadin

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Clervis, May 13, 2015.

1. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

After 12+ years playing this game, and 8 years since I started the build, I've finally completed a build to the point where any further build improvements are nigh pointless. This morning he finally hit level 96 enabling him to don his crafted ring, the final piece to his perfection.

Props

First off, let me speak to the immense amount of respect I've garnered for those who have taken a character all the way to level 99. I've been playing this character for years, and just recently made a herculean effort to go from 94 to 96, which was humblingly toilsome. At ~5 min per Baal run, just going from level 95 to 96 took almost 20 hours (1 mil exp per run). With the exp penalty, 96 to 97 will take close to 45 hours. In fact, from what I've read, in terms of time commitment, I'm only about 8.6% of the way toward level 99.....ridiculous.

Secondly, for those grailers of you, again, kudos. I've been busting my butt, but I'm still at G-104 (a couple dozen being TC3/TC6/CowKing). And I'm really excited to break the two-digit mark all-the-while astounded that some of you are self-found grailers. Impressive.

upload_2015-5-13_14-16-36.png

The Build

The Clervadin follows fairly closely to my PvM Auradin Guide, modified for SP. He's an Auradin with a trusty sidekick Aliza, a Ice-wielding Rogue.

Aliza, Rogue of Ice

Let me take this opportunity to just rave about sticking the Ice runeword on an Act I Cold Merc. If you guys haven't tried it, you need to. She's amazing. It must be made out of Valyrian Steel. She never dies and is probably my one most important defensive measure. The Holy Freeze slow enemies down a little until her 25% ctc Frost Nova proc's (on the target!) and then everything stops. If anybody isn't frozen in place, the Freeze Target from my HoJ turns them into a snowman. My high level Conviction also means her arrows deliver precise and powerful hits dealing significant damage. I outfitted her with an Ethereal Guardian Angel to nullify all elemental damage, and a Guillame's to throw in some CB. A Great Bow and IAS jewel put her at a 10 frame attack, meaning Frost Nova's burst out every 1.6 seconds. She is by far my favorite merc.

The gear is fairly standard, Hand of Justice PB, Dragon Armor, and two Dreams. Some of the uncommon gear are my high roll crafted ring, gloves, and a Holy Shield CtA on switch. Due to a lack of +skills, I needed 3 Captain's GC's to hit a level 25 Conviction--which roughly equates to double displayed damage for anything not immune.

Offense

The high lightning and fire damage is coupled with a significant amount of physical damage and CB to assist in leeching and dual immunes. He does about 1,024 phys dam w/25 CB, but his main strength comes via the Holy Shock/Holy Fire which deal about 10K damage at a 4-frame Zeal after Conviction. In addition, Dragon's Hydra's and the Pulse Damage are significantly powerful even at /p8--great for mopping up and hilarious when everyone in the room just all drops dead at once from a final pulse. Suffice it to say, everything dies with extreme prejudice against the Clervadin.

Defense

Defensively, though, this build shines, which is kind of hilarious given its reputation for being a glass cannon. With 75% block, 85/75/90/75, 3K life, 29%LL, and a SloMo/Pause button ala Aliza, my red bubble rarely ventures south. This is absurdly important for high leveling, because you basically have to become HC. On level 95 the Clervadin died twice. Once because I accidentally had the chat window up against Lister ("aaaaaaaasdfasdfasdfasdfadsf") and then once again trying to recover my body. That mistake probably cost a good 3-4 extra hours. Otherwise, however, the Clervadin was straight bulletproof and I ended up having a belt full of these useless purple things.

Skills

Resist Fire, Resist Lightning, Salvation, Conviction, and Sacrifice, all maxed. I originally used Vigor, Redemption, Cleansing, Meditation, and even Sanctuary to keep him moving, but as gear and stats improved, the only thing I found myself in need of was Charge. This is fun. It's a fantastic way to not only get around, but to utilize between monsters more than just a couple steps away. He's like an explosive pinball!

upload_2015-5-13_14-15-18.png

Conclusion
    Booyah!

Future Projects

Next I'm going to perfect my Bearsorc, which is near complete.
    Then, I'm working on a Dual Dream Dragon Talon Death Sentry Kicksin (or DDDTDS). She uses big elemental damage and huge CB at a 3 frame kick, along with Static Field/Corpse Esplode to take down crowds.
    Oh, I also plan on making a video of the Clervadin at some point for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this build over the years.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    Namtar, TreeOfSmoke, Zylo and 9 others like this.
  2. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

Looking forward to the video. Nice write-up!

Clervis, Atratees and pharphis like this.
  3. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Also looking forward to a video

edit: ring readout?

Clervis, Atratees and BBS_Agonistes like this.
  4. BBS_Agonistes

BBS_Agonistes IncGamers Member

That's cray cray.

Clervis likes this.
  5. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

upload_2015-5-13_16-5-9.png

Notice it's not red anymore!

6. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

Good thing you already mentioned video is upcoming cause i was gonna ask for one as i'd like to see this char in action. :)

Also interested in ring/gloves stats.

Oh and you mentioned 1M a run. I wish i was that lucky. 13 runs needed for 1M here. :(

Edit: Wow, that's what you call a nice ring.

Clervis and pharphis like this.
  7. Interdasting

Interdasting IncGamers Member

A great write-up! And congratulations! This was no small feat. I am looking forward to see this Olympian in action.

That ring makes me drool too...

Clervis likes this.
  8. zticazzy

zticazzy IncGamers Member

Forget the video, I want an entire movie about it! And hurry up, popcorns won't stay warm for long.

Clervis and Interdasting like this.
  9. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Just as soon as I figure out how to do so. I have zero experience in creating videos of gameplay.

Edit: Okay, I figured out how to make recordings. Can anybody suggest good video editing open-source software and maybe a site for uploading?

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  10. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Wow, sounds like fun! I also can't wait to see the video.

That ring is very very nice.

I never edited my videos, but you can upload them to YouTube.

Clervis likes this.
  11. Username is not in use

Username is not in use IncGamers Member

i think grief/forti(or treachery vs decrepify) is better, also i really like a3 merc on converdin, since he can alomost freeze everything up

Clervis likes this.
  12. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Here's my first attempt at a YouTube video.

13. Username is not in use

you made it a private video

Clervis likes this.
  14. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Well, yea, the video is for me. I just wanted you guys to know it's out there, but you can't watch it.

Try it now.

15. Username is not in use

cool^^

looks funs

Clervis likes this.
  16. Interdasting

Interdasting IncGamers Member

That was a really good watch. Thanks for spoiling us with a fleshed-out video of your beast. Long live the Clervadin! May your Baal runs be swift and exhilarating.

Also nice to see not everybody stacks heaping tons of MF.

Clervis likes this.
  17. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Yea, it's kind of funny. Diablo II is for most a loot-loop. You equip good loop so you can find better equipment to find more loot, so on and so forth, etc. etc., ad infinitum. I've always been more into finding equipment to make a character the hardest, meanest monster killer out there. I guess it's the PvP guys who really embody that approach, something I've never really gotten in to.

18. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

Nice vid, except for the part where you left a blue tiara on the ground and the part where you threw away a crafting material (jewel), which each hurt me deeply and personally. ;p At least we can all agree Charge is amazing.

You built a char that seemed cool to you and you enjoyed the process; congrats, that's D2 at it's finest.

19. Zylo

Zylo IncGamers Member

'Wasting your breath most likely'? Ouch Clervis, ouch. Pretty solid video, I wasn't expecting the commentary, but that was a pleasant surprise. I say, keep those vid's a comin'! I think the video also sells the 'Ice' RW quite well. I'm not saying dropping might aura on a pally won't be a tough pill to swallow for me, but 'Ice' is now definitely on the to do list.

I have a similar(ish) pally, and I agree they are quite fun to play.

Level 96 on a teleport-less melee toon, my hat's off to you sir.

20. japanzaman

japanzaman IncGamers Member

That ring is just sick. Nice job!