Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Build Compendium

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Timinator, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Timinator

Timinator IncGamers Member

Is there anywhere a good list of all the builds? I know there is a mat/pat/guardian thread. thats great to see that 100 people have done a hammerdin. I'm after something to show ALL the possible builds.

Perhaps if it doesn't exist we could make one.

I was thinking you could have a section for all the builds based around normal skills, eg WW barb, frenzy, singer, throw etc etc. Then you have another section talking about all the oskill type builds. Maybe another part that might be more gear specific, eg the auradin, dual Ebotd something, fury wolf etc.

So, does it exist or do we have to make it?

2. DaveW

DaveW IncGamers Member

Sup Timinator, the Pat/Mat/Guardian thread is your answer. Sure there are 100 Cheesadins but there is a lot of other worthwhile stuff too. Check Nightfish's 49 Guardians. Thats a source of inspiration ... for me anyways. Laterz!

coju likes this.
  3. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

So you are talking about a list of all the possible builds, not just those that have guides written for them?

I think I have covered most of the possible assassin builds, but there are a few (claws of thunder / blades of ice etc) I haven't done. I keep meaning to publish a summary of all of them.

Trouble is you end up with so many sub variants eg.
    Dragon Talon kicker, C/C
    Dragon Talon kicker, W/S
    Dragon Talon kicker, Rift
    Dragon Talon kicker, With Fire Traps
    Dragon Talon kicker, With light traps
    Dragon Talon kicker, No traps
    Etc.

4. Timinator

In terms of variants, you'd say dragon talon kicker is main build and sub build options are .... Similar frenzy barb, do you max synergys, or some war cries for def.

5. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

ALL the builds? There is no limit... You could beat the game with an hammersin if you wanted to. Each class strategy forum has a sticky for build guides.

Start with the mat/pat thread and class strategy stickies. I can't imagine a decent build not included in those locations.

Your last post could be easily googled.

6. coju

coju IncGamers Member

Ah, yes, the class sub forums have build guides, iirc! That and going through the patmatguard sticky.

Are you wanting a one stop shop for all of the builds?

7. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

There are tons of things you can do with your builds.

Lets take a look at poison necro. Sounds simple, right? But, from there you can go 125 fcr variant or 75 fcr variant, you can go vita or block. Also it depends on what area do we target. Building poison necro for Pit is different thing than building poison necro for Travincal or say to run CS. Same build with so many possible variations and goals.

Listing everything possible that way is a tough job to do. Maybe if we list only most simple build ideas like "poison necro", "bone necro" etc.

8. Timinator

Gripphon: all of those are still the same basic build, however as you say gear choices will make differences but I wouldn't expect different guides for different casting breakpoints. In terms of different areas to run, there may be some tweaks. But there could be a section in a "where to run" or "optimal places to play". I doubt many apart from a true necro nutter would try every permutation of fcr and vita vs block. Respec means you can research that easier. Gear limitations might restrict people for fcr

Eg my holy bolt pally is a great Pindle killer and in one of those 85 areas under blood Raven. However you wouldn't see that in a top mf builds list. The build is REALLY worth playing. Although it was hard to quest (pre repecs). I managed the hell ancients solo with foh. My thought was list build and others could be listed, people could browse for the next build and get inspired. Or perhaps help people have a future wish list

Coju: yes a one stop shop.
    I'm not sure if anyone might be interested to help me gather a list or might be interested to use when finished?

Thefranklin: personally I'm interested in builds hell viable and something an average to above average player could use. I hadn't heard of hammersin. If it meets my criteria I'll play it.

I was thinking to arrange builds or rank them into how difficult they are to acquire gear/ how hard to play

9. coju

coju IncGamers Member

Timinator, I've never thought about having a one-stop-shop for the builds. I just went to the appropriate subforums to search what I was looking for, or used the patmatguard sticky. I wouldn't think it would be to hard, just copypasting what is already here in our forums into one thread.

10. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

Have to concur with the other sentiments

Given that the game has been completed without any skill points being assigned, or alternatively without any gear, the number of viable builds is essentially infinite

thefranklin likes this.
  11. Timinator

Maybe we could call it the RadTang test? Could someone new pat a thornadin? sure its possible. Or will they most likely ragequit? How about the wirtadin? Using only wirts leg as a weapon. Personally I have no interest in that, but as you correctly state its a possible build.

I've read about those naked characters doing amazing things, but there is normally a staggering amount of game knowledge that sits behind it. They know the strengths/weaknesses of all things and how to exploit it.

Also I'd like a source that was written for our needs. Some of those guides can be Bnet focussed which is a bit annoying to read. It reminds me of in the past reading some guides that were written for console users and talk of "Press left stick + Triangle" Ok, thats nice, but what KEYS do I push to get that action?

When I looked at the pat/mat sticky I found it very overwhelming. The current format has the forumname, character name, then some type of build description. However if there are 10 or maybe 50 threads I don't want to have to scrape them to get the best information.

I'm time poor but interested in giving it a shot.

12. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

I don't know how to take that any other way. We can't see that you meant ALL builds that are easy in hell. Of which they all already have guides for them that can easily be googled.

Please check out the strategy subforums, the guides in the stickies are very comprehensive.

I like amazons.

http://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/amazon-build-guides-and-other-useful-information.325914/

Not only does that have every build, including the fuzzydodger, but it also has every large informative statistical and strategic post ever made about amazons. And Anna Goanna!

13. Timinator

I'm sorry for the confusion, that was my fault. I've done it before, I'll probably do it again where I don't proofread my posts before pushing "Post Reply". I meant to say "I'm after something to show ALL the possible builds. (which can solo the hell ancients)" or "I'm after something to show ALL the possible builds. which a non expert could play.

You'll get used to my quirks with time :p

As for that link, thanks. I probably looked at that some years ago. My issue is its not QUITE suited to what I'm after, eg "k's Lightning Ama Guide" That's nice that someone called Jek made a guide, but that information is not relevant to me. I see "Lightning" but WHICH lightning skills? Lightning Strike? Charged Strike? Power Strike? Lightning Bolt? and or Lightning Fury?

I have to scroll through quite a bit to get to what I was interested in:
    Max Charged Strike
    Max Lightning Strike
    Max Lightning Fury

He also mentions a variation.

In terms of an amazon, I'd have the following guides, based on using something as the main skills. There will be hybrid build options discussed further.

Freezing Arrow (cold arrow build)
    Immolation arrow (fire arrow build which got buffed in newer patchs)
    Strafe Build
    Multishot Build
    Magic Arrow Build
    Plague Jav build (thrown poison)
    Lightning Fury build (thrown lightning)
    Charged Strike (stabby lightning)
    Fend (I dont care that its bugged, its hurts them, they die)

Then various hybrids to be discussed
    Also talk about passive only etc

Thats not all the main skills covered, but its the ones I have so far got characters for.

thefranklin likes this.
  14. logoutzero

logoutzero IncGamers Member

So, just to be blatantly clear, because I am confused...

You want a post, that has a link, to a guide, written for a build based around each and every skill in the game, that tells you step by step where to place stat points, skill points, and what gear to wear?

15. Timinator

not quite a cookie cutter, do X,Y,Z for each skill

I would like a post that has a different aim to the existing resources. The Mat/Pat thread has a LOT of content, very useful, but overwhelming at first. As of today we have 174 links for Amazons. How many of those are the same builds, or slight variations? Instead of 174 links, how about say 15 links/sections that cover all the bits you need to know.

Similar the class forums have great stuff, but you have to click into them and have a read before you know what you are looking at. Sometimes the name tells you, other times it can be misleading. Does a newbie know the difference between a "fishyzon" and the same skills called by the in game names.

I think it would be useful to say, for example a LF zon. Basics about what it is, pros/cons, how easy is it to gather, how easy is it to play? Then it would offer existing help. Here is a bunch of pre existing guides if you are interested. Here are some SPF Mat threads (from the 174 I mentioned) I want it to be a resource and a conversation starter. Let it mention the different options, but leave it up to the reader what they do next. Do they go fully synergised? Do they do a hybrid/glass cannon, max vit, max block.

I am not interested in saying "you must only put 50 in strength, you must put 62 in dext, all the rest in vit. Similar, I"m not interested in something saying "you must have these 10 items (unless the build absolutely must have, eg Beast for a Bear Sorc).

I DON'T think it would be useful to be for each and every skill. I'm probably not interested in a cold arrow one. Probably not interested in a teeth necro, or firebolt sorc.

I've been writing most of these in a hurry. I'll try to mock something up over the weekend for what I have in mind .. see if that helps.

16. PhineasB

PhineasB IncGamers Member

Nightfish did a summary of his Sept Sept that was organized by class and hit the high-notes of each character:
    http://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/sept-sept-finished-summary.683461/

Most of them show up in the Guardian threads, but I always found this post helpful when I was looking for an idea. I was thinking of doing a similar summary for my 7x7 in SC, with more detailed write ups around the more interesting characters.

I am happy to help build out your mock up, Timinator. I do think it would be a pretty good resource for new players and others looking for fresh inspiration.

Timinator likes this.
  17. mir

mir IncGamers Member

:confused: Very confused....

After reading this thread I just can't understand what you have in mind, maybe an example will do? Lets take WW barb what would you like to see on this page?

Would you like post links or make something new?

Is this what you want to see?

Core skills
    Stats
    Equipment (
    cheap --> expensive)
    Break Points
    Cons and ways to deal with problems
    Optional sub-builds

18. Timinator

I was thinking, this might be more of an executive summary. Imagine a busy high powered person with to much to do, and little time. They need the important facts. If relevant they will dive in for more info.

Here is a possible template, then with info, say the WW barb. Keep in mind I'm just having a go, and a bit tired now as I do this. Keep in mind one of the types of readers of these things might be noobies. So I might state things we normally take for granted. If you've been around a while, there will be nothing new here at all (you might have something to add though!). However to a person fresh to the game/forum, this could be a chance to discover something they hadn't thought of before. At the end of the paragraph, a person would know if they are interested to read up a full guide/pat threads, or browse to the next one.

/start of template

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY OF A WHIRLWIND BARB
    Main Skill used: Whirlwind
    Other skills: no synergies, so quite a few options for warcries + masteries (maybe list some eg, BO, shout, find item, weapon mastery etc)
    Type of damage output: Physical
    Type of attack (melee/ranged/caster): Melee
    Cons: PI monsters, but berserk is a barbs best friend there. Unleachable targets (meph). Draculs grasp can help with life leech, you may need pots to help with mana. Also the normal beware of ranged targets, especially cursed and/or auras.
    Difficulty to play: Easy when you have a few key bits of gear (mana leech/life leech, hurty stick)
    Difficutly to get good gear: Easy to moderate. If you are twinking, easy. If you are untwinked, it could be slow going until you get a few key things.
    Ability to MF?: Good to great. You can easily max Find Item for extra drops + be an efficient killer.
    Should you play one?: Yes! Once you get used to the mouse technique to whirl through packs, or around a small target
    (eg baal) this is a great build. Some way its far too easy/boring.
    Targets to run: Great on Trav/pindle, some places like pits.

SOME PAT WW BARBS (to see real examples)

LINKS TO WW BARBS from barb forum go here.

/end of template

In terms of other things, I wouldn't go into. I'd let the other guides do that
    Stats
    Full equipment (I might list a few things that are musts or nice ot have
    Breakpoints (unless I know them off by heart)