Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bugs and HC playing

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Someone14, May 3, 2005.

1. Someone14

Someone14 IncGamers Member

Bugs and HC playing

Hello,

I have never played past act3 hell in 1.10. I haven't died to a in-game bug in 1.10 yet. Now that im playing 'seriously' again I'd like to know what bugs I should be aware of and which are fatal and thus ruining my game.
    I know FE bug, which I can handle by killing from long distance, but how about hell ancients? What is the best way to avoid fe bug when facing hell ancients? I know there's a mod that nullifies fe damage to 0%, but I'd rather play vanilla d2.

Please tell me all about dangerous bugs and how to avoid them! It is so embarrassing to die to something which would've been easily avoided :rolleyes:

2. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I think the most common lethal bugs in HC are the FE bug and the gloams bug.
    FE ancients in hell can 1 hit kill almost any character. basically the FE damage from 1 of there deaths can be carried with there regular attack, which is especially bad if the thrower is FE, since its near impossible to avoid his axes at speed.
    As for the gloams (and all there breed) the lightning damage seems to do a hell of a lot more than listed, although no-one is totally certain why, i think it has to do with it the lightning bolt hitting more than once in very quick succesion.

3. colony

colony IncGamers Member

Don't you need about 12k life with 95 fire res, and dual Dwarf Stars or something to survive it?

The best way to avoid it is to have a TP ready to cast as soon as you spawn them, and then check the mods on them. I start by looking at Madawc first, and then Korlic. Those 2 are most likely to get you in the first second or so (leap attacking and throwing can be hard to avoid).

Gloam damage can be kept to virtually nothing simply by having 85 light res, and a TGods. IIRC the gloams hit 5 times with their lightning instead of just once.

It's not impossible to finish Hell in a bugged 1.10, but it does take a lot of concentration, especially if you play a melee character (my Conc barb made it to guardian, just don't ask about what happened to my zealot:uhhuh: )

4. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

IIRC shade survived it with a haxxored test char that had about 40k life or so. If they're bugged I don't think there's anything you can do to survive. Dwarf stars don't help, either, iirc, since you take damage first and get healed back only if you survive. The discussion was ages ago so I might be off, though.

5. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

You should fear all forms of FE bug. The damage of explosion is based on life of the monster type, so some FE bosses like Devilkins are harmless, while others (Councils, Lister, etc.) are very dangerous instantly killing you most of the time. Scarab type minions of FE boss release the hidden explosion too (not only their boss) and their bolts can carry fire damage too. Decay type minions of FE boss release Fire explosion too with their poison cloud. Pindleskin triggers fire explosion when the game tries to resurrect him (aka Pindleskin revenge). Also I believe that there is something wrong when the boss is LE-FE or CE-FE. FE Ancients have some form of pulsating damage, so you can just walk to them and they will kill you. :(

EDIT: and sometimes the game gets crazy and FE damage can be carried by lightning bolts of LE boss or by boss' holy aura.

There is a bug when your char is hit while switching weapons, he will stop moving and attacking.
    Paladin's Charge is little bugged too.
    Tomb Vipers in Nihlathak temple have bugged damage.

I believe that Gloam damage is not caused by rapid hits, but by using the wrong value. Only the "head" of the lightning damages your char, you can walk in the body of lightning without recieving damage. However, I am not sure about that.

Experienced myself:
    HC: FE Council death, FE Scarab minion death
    SC: That zombie type in WSK2 FE minions poison cloud death. Numerous FE Ventar/Achmel/Lister regular explosion.

6. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

Leap attack is bugged - something like if you get hit just as you're starting your attack, you will jump straight up and be unable to leap again once you come down until you exit and start a new game.

- Noodle

7. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Pretty sure that this is not just the ancients. You just notice it more at the ancients because that always kills you if it happens, whereas you might survive it with luck against normal bosses.

8. Starving_Poet

Starving_Poet IncGamers Member

I read a similar test on another forum, and you're right. It was determined that the the Ancients can do around 40k worth of physical damage alone with their FE bug so no legit character can survive it ever. However, FE explosions do have the chance of being blocked, it's just that that last 25% that gets through blocking seems to get through more often that it should. It's just the RNG showing you whose boss.

9. Someone14

Someone14 IncGamers Member

Thanks a lot for answer, gotta try to play safe.

10. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I never noticed something like this myself with FE damage, and I am sure i would notice the thing like this, because I play untwinked and even if twink I don't use much PDR. But it could be true in the rare occasions when the game decides to kill your char :). For example my friend claims that he was one hit killed being 1 screen far from an Unraveler boss while there were no monsters at all.

11. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

Black souls and the like do lots of damage because they deal both lightning and physical damage, it isn't pure lightning.

12. killian27

killian27 IncGamers Member

I've been killed twice in the past few days due to FE Bug. Once to hell ancients, I was trying to read... and as i read fire enchanted I was suddenly reading the "o **** you just got dead" screen.

Last night I was attempting to run Mephisto on players 8, the council man thats always on the right side of the moat in the sideroom, I walked up to him, took two swings and once again was looking at the "you got dead" screen.

So, I fight fire enchanted uniques/monsters all the time, and i just make sure to let my merc finish them off. Which of course is what i intended to do with the councilman.

I did notice this though, the ancient and the councilman had the "fire enchanted" in the middle of their description, whereas most monsters (that have not fe killed me) seem to always have it at the end.... could be wrong though since i just started paying attention.

Anyone think there is any merit to that, or any other theories of how to identify the monsters that are just FE and not FE Bugged?

13. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

We tried to put together a bug FAQ a while back... here it is.

14. Hiedran

Hiedran IncGamers Member

There's no mention of the pulsing FE explosion common to every boss's corpse. (Well, there is, but it's attributed only to Pindle.) Kill an FE boss, go stand on its corpse. You'll periodically see a flame graphic on your char. Scared the crap out of me when I was doing this in HC.