Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bugged on Druid Summoner Pvm

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Sangeros, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Sangeros

Sangeros IncGamers Member

Bugged on Druid Summoner Pvm

One thing I've noticed about Druid is that his summons aren't too great. His dire wolves dire very quickly in hell, whereas I think 8 of necromancer skeletons are way better. Arctic blast is still not fixed? I knew of this bug when I first played him.

Many people don't know this but from a recent study HoW doesn't work properly. By level 13 it should be around 100 percent damage given so basically it should double your damage. This is not true, try looking at your damage and then summoning him. Its really its only about half of it. I don't know why this is... I think tis a bug or someting. The attack rating doubles fine enough 100% but the damage is only about 50%. I just wish the summoner was alot better, hes not too great in hell compared to a necromancer summon. The Grizzly is ok but hes not aggresive enough. If you have a might merc he goes out to fight while ur bear kinda chills behind. If this happens you can just summon your bear next to the monster. Many builds say poison creeper is pretty good, but are you willing to spend 20 points on it? And raven too? just for the blind? Why is spirit of barbs even existing. The damage returned is useless and no one uses it. :coffee:

Think im on crack? Test HoW. I know alot of you Oak fans are like WHOHOO:thumbsup: Gotta say Windy Druid aint too shabby. But I love to play summoner, just kinda dissapointed.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  2. Logo

Logo IncGamers Member

Re: Bugged on Druid Summoner Pvm

HoW is not bugged, it's counted as a skill ED i think. What it means is that it takes your base dmg and applies the bonus to it and then adds it to your final dmg. I'm not absolutely sure about this, but i think this is correct.

3. Verashiden

Verashiden IncGamers Member

First, how many points do you have in Dire and how are you using them?

Arctic Blast is bugged due to how they programmed the animation.

HoW stacks ADDITIVELY with other ED sources, not multiplicative. 100 ED from it and 500 skill ED makes 600 ED, not 1000.

So... what's the point of this thread?

4. Sangeros

response to Verashiden

Why does the attack rating work properly then? They are both written the same way, by percent. 100% percent means X2. Why would attack rating work multiplicative X2 and not the damage? If only the base damage is multiplied then added, then why isn't this the same with AR? With AR Its the final so for your example it would be 1000.

And about the wolves, In hell they get raped pretty fast. They got 712 hp and 217-233 damage synergized with Grizzly. You can have 3 of them.

Compare that to skeletons 559 life, 124-127 damage. But you can have 8 at level 20, and it goes beyond that it doesn't stay at 8 maximum. They also have massive regen.

Back to HoW. I took what you said into consideration so I bought a broad sword with base damage 7-14. My damage with the sword on in town is 14-29. In blood moor it is 21-43. Thats exactly 50% not 100%. I have my HoW to level 13 so it should be 100% damage. But it gives me 50%. Explain this? I have no charms no nothing. My attack rating did double tho, like I said it would. And just to be sure I tested out a magic War Scythe. Damage is 24-58 with the 63% enhanced damage included in that. In town my total damage is 50-121. In Blood moor its 75-182. Again 50%. I can record on fraps if you think its bull.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  5. Logo

Logo IncGamers Member

Lets have an example how damage is calculated in D2.

Lets say we have a char with 100 str using a sword (or any other weapon that has base str modifier) with 50-100 dmg and 100%ed on the weapon, he also has HoW that ads 100%ed and uses a skill that ads 100%ed

His min damage would be = (50 * (1 + 100%ed on weapon/100)) * (1 + 100srt/100 + (100%ed from HoW + 100%ed from weapon skill)/100) = (50 * 2) * 4 = 400
    Max damage = (100 * (1 + 100%ed on weapon/100)) * (1 + 100srt/100 + (100%ed from HoW + 100%ed from weapon skill)/100) = (100 * 2) * 4 = 800

Now if he didnt have HoW:

Min damage = (50 * (1 + 100%ed on weapon/100)) * (1 + 100srt/100 + (100%ed from weapon skill)/100) = (50 * 2) * 3 = 300
    Max damage = (100 * (1 + 100%ed on weapon/100)) * (1 + 100srt/100 + (100%ed from weapon skill)/100) = (100 * 2) * 3 = 600

More info:
    http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=551#Weapon Damage

6. Sangeros

Interesting

7. Jary

Jary IncGamers Member

To put in lemans terms... if you're a Fury wolf:

The HoW + Fury enhanced damage from skills are added separately from strength.

In the situation described, your damage (no skill or HoW) in town, after factoring in strength with the sword, was 14-29. If you add 100% of the weapon damage (7-14) to that from your HoW skill, you get 21-43.

Attack rating is taken from your base dexterity, and %AR should pool the same way whether you or summons.

Only thing I'm skeptical about is Oak Sage vs Summons. If %life is factored addiditively to the summon skills, it'd give your griz like nothing for life. like 1.5k or so, but I don't see that. I really just dont believe that, 'cause over the years it just seemed my lvl 49 grizzly with oak would tank like twice the fireballs/smites/hammers than one with HoW or without, I dunno call it optical illusion but coulda fooled me >.<

8. Verashiden

Did you factor in the insane regen at that life pool, Jary?

9. Sangeros

I seen Necro PvM summoner with decripify and CE and it molests. Whereas with my Grizzly he's strong but takes too long to kill groups of monsters. Im using HoW right now to make my Grizz damage amazing, plus the Ar so he can rip. Still monsters target me and my idiot HoW has a huge radius, but still HoW is close in the fight and dies.

Any suggestions? Im level 72 in Hell and I got a hard time. Hell is hard for Druid in my opinion, but I still have to play more

10. williamchan

williamchan IncGamers Member

i think ur gear sucks, thats why ur having issues =), +skills should be what u be aiming for, how much do u have atm at lvl 72?

11. NumtyDoo

NumtyDoo IncGamers Member

Why are you arguing about a necro summoner?

Necros are better summoners than druids hands down, their summons are stronger and they can have 9-18 of them(50+ with mages and revives), +amp doubles their damage, which has already been doubled by a might merc. In low player count games you are never going to be able to match a Necro's maxed CE killing speed with a druid anyway. Even a hammerdin can't match that.

Druids are better at getting in there and helping their summons fight. Druid summoners might not be quite as good at big mob/area clears as a necro. But a Druid summoner that utilizes a shape shifting skill can probably kill bosses faster, and is probably more fun to play than a standard fishy-mancer.

You shouldn't really compare the two, it is like saying my berserk barb doesn't kill as good as my hammerdin, but they are both using magic damage. Both builds may be 'summoners', but there really is no comparison.

12. Sangeros

I have a +2 skill unique cudgel, its pretty bad on the damage, but im too weak to help them out anyway. Hell is a problem for me, my Druid skills arent so effective.

13. Jary

Jary IncGamers Member

A druid summoner is more about power and control. Since you dont have the numbers of a necro, you have to compensate with great handling and control using shockwave, teleport, or recasting.:thumbup:

I think the main thing is, you dont really see a lotta gg druid summoners much these days.. or, ever lol :***[ But I assure you, good is good. A necro with lvl 50 summons is gonna own, just like a druid with lvl 50 summons is gonna own :p, and I've seen necros with poor gear in hell that couldn't scratch a zombie too lol.

this was my summoner in hell, they can kill with right setup but just like any other gg char gotta invest a lot
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmsJc_tpNV8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9NY2IhEnaY&NR=1

14. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

For pure druid summoners, casting Shockwave along with HoW, and Direwolves can kill descently in hell.

15. Moogleflakes

Moogleflakes IncGamers Member

I've got a Level 81 summoner druid, max grizzly/dire/spirit wolves and oak, working on maxing shockwave. Heart of wolverine adds its % enhanced damage onto the % that your grizzly gives your other pets, which is why it seems bugged. Plus with maxed spirit wolves, they rarely miss their attacks, or get hit.

I knew going into it that it would be a support built. My wolves kill slowly at around slvl 25, but gain massive killing speed when I resummon them with a skill shrine. They never die in hell unless there's extra strong cursed or might or something involved. Even then, they're cheap to resummon.

16. williamchan

williamchan IncGamers Member

whats ur +skill? it seems weird that ur slowly killing having HOW maxed and all the 3 synergies maxed too...:crazyeyes:

17. Foodger

Foodger IncGamers Member

Lots of good information and great videos Jary. I'm very interested in making a summon druid but have a few questions that maybe some of you more seasoned druids could help me with.

1. Do summon pets(more specifically bears/wolves) get any resistances? If no, how do bears even fair against elemental damage in hell?
    2. Are shockwaves animation frames decreased by fcr or ias? Also, is it worthwhile to put more than one point in shockwave?
    3. The last question is likely a preference thing, but is it better to put points into spirit wolves which seem to have less useful passives or put points into lycanthropy? I noticed in Jary's videos that he was in caster form a lot to tele which would obviously reduce the usefulness of lycanthropy. For a more untwinked character however, would it just be better to pump lycanthropy and stay in bear form?

18. Verashiden

1. Summons get resistance based on skill points placed into that particular skill. Also, they don't suffer from NM and Hell Resistance penalties. So 20 Points in Grizz will give it max resists.

2. FCR. SLvl 15 SW is all you need since stun durations are hardcoded to not go beyond 10 seconds. So make sure you hit 15 SW WITH your + skills gear on.

3. Preference, how worried are you about getting ambushed?

19. Foodger

Foodger IncGamers Member

Thanks for the response Verashiden. Will 15 points in SW give you a ten second duration in hell? I was under the impression that stun lengths were reduced in hell. Also, I'll be playing hc, so any extra life I can get is paramount. If you could say one way or the other from experience whether the ar bonus is needed for your summons to kill in hell that would be incredibly helpful.

20. Verashiden

I didn't notice my summons having trouble hitting in Hell with only 5 points in Spirit Wolves.

Stun Duration is not reduced in Hell AFAIK