Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Budget Barb - Finalized

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by IVfluids, Apr 21, 2008.

1. IVfluids

IVfluids IncGamers Member

Budget Barb - Finalized

Budget Barbarian Guide [PvM]

Introduction:
    This is a Whirly Barb built on a budget for the player that is pretty much strapped for cash (example: new players), or just for a bit of a challenge compared to a decked out runeworded character and also just wanted to stay away from the typical builds and the IK set for something different.

Take note, this is not a Gold Finder build (or MF) and you would have to add the appropriate charms for that, this is just a build that will allow you to play through Hell and survive within a set budget. Speaking of budgets, I built this character on USWL for under 180 PGems (1.5HR) excluding the 2x Shael, 2x Lem and 2x Ko runes needed for socketing the weapon and for upgrading the body armor. On USWL, you could probably pick up the listed runes here for less than 50PGems and you would have the possibility of running in to those easily from Countess and from your Hell Forge quests.

I have successfully solo'ed through all the main Hell bosses, important skill/stat side quests, the Minion's and Baal with this build. I had even took Laarz from USWL through his Hell Ancients quest twice for him. That is not to say that it is not without any challenges, mana burn chars do tend to make things difficult and will result in you downing several juvie pots or just making you leap past them.

Equipment and USWL Prices Paid:
    Helm- Arreat's Face [25PGems]. 3-6% Life leech and skill bonuses.

Armor- Duriel's Shell [6PGems]. Good Resistances (better with jewel), good def bonus, up it for even better def, and can't be frozen.

Belt- String of Ears [13PGems]. 6-8% Life leech and 10-15% Damage Reduction

Gloves- Soul Drainers [3PGems]. 4-7% Life leech and you will need the 4-7% mana leech.

Boots- Low Gore Riders [20PGems]. 30% Faster Run/Walk, 10% Open Wounds, 15% Crushing Blow, 15% Deadly Strike.

Jewelry- Angelic Ring/Ammy [3PGems each]. 95 Life bonus, 10 Dexterity bonus, huge Attack Rating bonus.

Jewelry- Low Ravenfrost [5PGems]. Attack Rating bonus, Dexterity bonus, can't be frozen (redundant already on Duriel's).

Jewel- 12% All Resistances [7PGems]. Socket your Duriel's Shell at Larzuk and toss an All Resistances jewel in it for a boost.

Main Weapon- Immortal King Maul [4PGems]. Good Damage, 35-40% Crushing Blow, hit's the breakpoint with 2x Shael.

Weapon Switch- Warcry Stick [15PGems]. +3 to Warcries Tree means more life, mana and defense. Can be bought at Hell vendors if you have the patience.

Weapon Switch- Demonlimb [2PGems]. Adds roughly another 150 damage to the IK Maul when combined with your Warcry Stick usage, plus it gives a nice boost to your Attack Rating.

Torch- Low Barb Torch [30PGems]. You will need the resistances on this item and the Attributes and skill bonuses are convenient.

Merc Helm- Crown of Thieves [7PGems]. 9-12% Life Leech, good defense, 80-100% Gold Find and cheap.

Merc Armor- Shaftstop [10PGems]. 30% Damage Reduction, good defense when upgraded.

Merc Weapon- Reaper's Toll [10PGems]. 11-15% Life Leech, 33% Deadly Strike, 33% Chance to Cast Level 1 Decrepify on Striking, good damage.

All in all, your Barb can have 13-23% Life Leech, 4-7% Mana Leech, 50-55% Crushing Blow and some other very nice side mods to help keep him alive. Your merc will have 20-27% Life Leech, 30% Damage Reduction, Decrepify and Deadly Strike to help keep him alive. Not bad on a meager budget.

This does not mean you can't replace gear with other items that you think will work better, this is just the set up that I used.

Stats:
    Strength- As per the usual, only put enough points in equip your gear, you will get an additional boost from the torch and from gear, so don't forget to take that in to account when distributing your points.

Dexterity- You shouldn't need any, it will all be covered by gear.

Mana- None, Mana Leech from the Soul Drainers and rejuvination pots will keep you going.

Life- After your strength is set, put every last point in to here.

Skills (at Character Level 85):
    20 pts Whirlwind
    20 pts Shout
    20 pts Battle Orders
    20 pts Mace Mastery
    1 pt Battle Command
    1 pt Increased Speed
    1 pt Increased Stamina
    1 pt Iron Skin
    1 pt Natural Resistances
    6 pts prerequisites

Whirlwind is your main attack and you can supplement your 1pt Berserk also (left over points can be put here) for an alternate attack. Leap will help you get away from hairy situations and those physical immunes.

Final Notes:
    You can add a few pts to Natural Resistances later on with left over points because depending on what All Resistances jewel you put in your armor and what torch you have, you will be a bit shy on resistances. You can also supplement your resistances with single resist small charms you find along the way. You should still have one free socket to play with on your Barb's helm also.

Your Barb, at character level 85 should be well over 2700 points in life, 11000+ Attack Rating, 11000 to your Defense and 2299 damage after using your weapon switch skills (Battle Command, Battle Orders, Shout and Enchant).

Your merc will be a bit shy on resistances (75/49/49/49), so socket him up when you get the chance. He will have a high survivability without it due to his high Life Leech, but more res won't hurt him either. Don't forget, you can socket all of his equipment for other bonuses also.

As stated before, you can still improve on a lot of things (especially your merc) with the left over open sockets and just trying to get the best bang for your buck in items with variables. I am sure there will be a lot of opinions about my gear selection, and I believe there is always room for improvements and ideas for alternate choices, this just happened to be the selection that I used and it worked out pretty good for me.

Thanks to Dabeas and Stephan for the their input on gear selection, my Barb mite not have turned out as well if it wasn't for their intervention.

Any other pointers that could improve this guide and build would be greatly appreciated.

PS: If you ever see ChoboWhirl on USWL, that would be this very character that would be this very Budget Barb that I built. I am being a knuckle head and contemplating an attempt at the Barb Ladder with him.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  2. Ed from Russia

Ed from Russia IncGamers Member

Re: Budget Barb - Finalized

That will work yes. I'm wondering though if it would be better to use more of the IK set (i.e. boots, belt, gloves and weapon). That would add lots of mods including IAS, leech and a good amount of elemental damage.

I would go for:
    IK maul
    IK gloves
    IK boots
    IK belt
    Shaftstop
    Arreats
    Raven Frost
    Angelic combo
    Might Merc with Reaper's Toll, Duriels, Crown of Thieves

3. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

Ed, everything looks good, but I'd much rather have duriel's shell for the resists + CBF. That means you can go full angelics. If you can't hit anything it doesn't matter how much your damage is, right?

If you're not going to way of abusing IK items, go with Windhammer! It's cheap, people throw them away for pgems, and it has 50% Crushing Blow on it. Throw a Shael rune in it and it's an epic whirler weapon.
    Also, if you find a really top-end Windhammer it will outdamage the IK maul in physical damage.

Very happy your barb turned out well. :)

4. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Since "budget" apparently means 1.5 HR :)undecided:), I'd rather use an upped Ribcracker for WW than a Windhammer. :tongue:

You don't need double angelics to hit things, though.

I'm also not a big fan of Arreats. Guillaume's is *the* offensive Helm in the game. I'd just compensate the loss of res with charms. Or in the case of the partial IK set I'd use the IK helm. There are some nice things to be gotten from the 5th piece (namely 20%DR and 10% ml).

5. Davidus

Davidus IncGamers Member

its a nice setup. the best part is that you can upgrade to IK set later when you have enough $$$:p

6. IVfluids

Maybe I will try out both if they can actually fit on to him with the way his stat points are distributed right now. Trying the ribcracker for personal use though, as up'ing it requires a pul and that would skyrocket the price tag on this, but I will give it a try. I'll try the windhammer also :)

The build actually came in quite a bit under the 180PGem mark, when it is all added up, it came in at 160PGem. I wouldn't say that is the definition of 'budget', but I consider that to be pretty cheap and affordable gear to purchase.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  7. SPAWNLORDS

SPAWNLORDS IncGamers Member

I wouldn't try doing any Uber runs with it.:wink2:

8. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

It's a WW barb, so no. :tongue:

9. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

i dont see this as being a very budget minded guide. you only give one example of gear for each slot. to me a budget guide would include 3-4 examples of each slot then a rough out line of a finished gear set.

to me budget starts with what you have on hand. you then trade for a few items, boom, you got a character.

10. IVfluids

That probably is due to my lack of knowledge of what gear combos would do best as swaps for each one. Maybe I should have named it Budget Built Barb instead of Budget Guide, but it is a little late for that, unless a mod could fix the title for me :p

11. SPAWNLORDS

SPAWNLORDS IncGamers Member

But they are the best and cheapest source for massive AR! nothing else comes close to it!
    -my hybrid ww/conc barb uses the angelic's combanation (2x ring's/ammy) with an ebotd.- war pike and can do uber run's with just one other player- ww's everything in it's path at 12-13k AR he doesn't miss much:thumbsup:

12. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

angelic ring+neck should be more than enough AR, can use the other ring for leech+resists+less AR (or just leech and/or resists depending on luck/budget). The effectiveness of using a 2nd angelic ring depends on how much AR you actually have without it, though.