Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Brian Bendis interviews Joss Whedon

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sokar Rostau, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Brian Bendis interviews Joss Whedon

I was looking up some Battlestar Galactica stuff while waiting for the new servers and came across this great interview with one of my favourite screen writers. What a great interview! It covers a lot of ground from the fate of the Buffyverse to the state of the Wonder Woman script, his writing of the X-Men comics, and Joss' new favourite show, Battlestar Galactica. Even if you have no interest in any of Joss' projects, past and present, this is a really good interview.

2. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

The new BSG really is a great show. It doesn't suffer from the Star Trek Voyager syndrome common with so many sci-fi shows that everything must be back to normal when the episode ends. Instead serious conflicts are carried over through multiple episodes, people betray each other and no one presses the reset button at the end of the episode.

3. Sokar Rostau

(Fixed it for you :wink: )

Ronald Moore, the writer of BSG, was a writer on Star Trek TNG, DS9 and Voyager (one ep I think).

From the board the interview is linked at:

And this is after he said Veronica Mars was the best thing on TV.

Anyway, this wasn't meant to be a BSG thread, it's just a great interview that anyone interested in comics, film, or TV should have a read of.

4. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

For anyone that doesn't know comics, by the way, Brian Michael Bendis is not just an interviewer but actually a very popular and talented (all though there is some debate over how talented) writer that does many Marvel comics including Ultimate Spider-Man, New Avengers and more.

Whedon's also writing Astonishing X-Men right now (excellent comic) and will be taking over Runaways from Brian K Vaughn early next year.

/comicnerd

5. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Didn't he also say Veronica Mars was the best thing on TV? Clearly his opinion is worth little.

I've missed too many episodes now, I'm going to have to get Battlestar on DVD. Basically through the whole first season I was reserving judgement in the hopes it would suddenly find its feet, but I've seen no evidence of that. I was considering making a thread comparing the old to the new but that'll have to wait until I've seen the second season properly.

Unless something dramatic changes in the episodes I haven't seen (ie killing off half the cast and replacing them with better actors, or better yet killing off the scriptwriters) then I must simply conclude it's a bunch of silly rubbish that has no idea what it's doing.

That's because BSG is a serial (more or less) rather than a series. It isn't just limited to Voyager, nor Star Trek in general - most shows are in series form.

6. Athelstan

Athelstan IncGamers Member

Thats pretty funny, because I think BSG has some of the best acting on television. It is definitely my favorite show on the air right now. Exodus Part 2, which i believe was the third episode of season three, was simply one of the best sci fi episodes I have ever seen.

7. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Bendis is a great comic writer. His dialogue is probaly one of the most realistic in comics nowdays. Powers is a great example of this.

8. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

We're only up to season two, so no spoilers.

The acting is variable, Edward James Olmos is an awesome actor (heh, I was just looking at his wikipedia entry - apparently he almost got Chistopher Lloyd's role in Star Trek III), and Tigh, the President, Baltar and the Cylon woman are pretty good, but I loathe the new Apollo with a passion, Helo sucks and the others are so-so.

9. Sokar Rostau

Maybe some bad news here, Dondrei. I found out two reasons why BSG may have been pulled. Season 2 wasn't aired as a single season in America, the Resurrection Ship Pt 1 was a mid-season cliffhanger with Pt 2 airing a few months later. That's the possibly good part. The bad part is that come December there may be no new BSG on free-to-air TV. Sci-Fi Channel is launching in Australia mid-December. Apparently it will be a third tier premium channel available (at extra cost) on Austar and Foxtel and will be airing BSG, every Star Trek, Buffy, Angel, both Stargates, B5 and just about every other sci-fi or horror show on television (no mention of Farscape).

I was also going to check if Rome was pulled because of a complaint, but with the destructive new cross-media ownership laws the appropriate body is swamped with anti-siphoning and/or concentration complaints.

Limewire, here I come.

10. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Yes, screw the damn networks, if I want to watch sci-fi (or just about anything really) from now on I'm just going to have to buy it on DVD.

11. Machina

Machina IncGamers Member

I think it could be argued that DS9 is an exception to the 'reset button' rule of Star Trek. Certainly Season 4 onwards, with the build up to the war and subsequently the war itself. Although even then there are a lot of episodes where the war isn't part of the plot and they hit the reset button at the end.

It was the only downside of Voyager for me, which is my favourite Star Trek (eww firefox doesn't recognise the English version of favourite, only the American (add recognise to the list as well)). It would have been even better had there been a greater sense of continuity (oh and a better finale would have helped as well).

Oh and Dondrei, why not just download your sci-fi programmes? That's what I'm doing. So far I have downloaded all of Voyager and up to Season 5 of DS9, all in the space of a couple of months. Buying all of them is too expensive because there are so many shows I want to watch and own, so I just download and burn them to disc.

12. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I have limited downloads and don't want to watch them in YouTube quality.

13. Machina

Machina IncGamers Member

That's a shame. I have unlimited (although it's slow during the day). In general I've found the quality to be comparable to that of a DVD.

14. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

if you look for large enough file sizes on isohunt.com you will find the quality is very comparable to dvd due to divx codecs

15. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Yeah, but what I mean is that because of my limited downloads the only way I could download them is to take ones with really poor quality.