Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Breaking Immunities

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Jugz, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Jugz

Jugz IncGamers Member

Breaking Immunities

My friend recently got his infinity and I saw him try to kill something that was lightning immune, and it was still doing nothing with the merc using the infinity.

I thought that If you had an infinity, that the conviction aura would reduce the resists of the immune mob by 1/5th effectiveness and break the immunity.
    No? How does it work

2. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Re: Breaking Immunities

It'll break most mobs, but a boss that spawns "Lightning Enchanted" will have an extra 75% Lightning Resistance, and a "Magic Resistant" boss will gain 40% Lightning Resistance. In these cases, it's very easy to get a Lightning Immune boss that can't have their immunity broken. However, that only applies to boss monsters with those mods - all of their minions should retain the same resistance/immunity, which can usually be broken.

In this case, my guess is that the merc died at some point, but your friend never took the time to re-equip the mercs weapon. If he doesn't do that (every time the merc's resurrected), the Conviction aura is no longer active on the resurrected merc.

And, for your reference, I've put together the "rules" for breaking and lowering immunities. Here they are:

1. Monsters are considered "immune" when their resistance to an element becomes 100% or greater.

2. Conviction (the Paladin aura) and Lower Resistance (the Necromancer curse) and are the ONLY two methods of removing a monster's elemental immunity*.

Note#1: There are several different types of "elemental immunity", but in this case I'm referring exclusively to the Lightning, Fire, and Cold elements. Physical, Magic, and Poison are the other "elements", but those will be ignored - for the moment, and unless otherwise specified.

3. When working against an elemental immunity, Conviction and LR always work at 20% effectiveness. Always. If you use both together, but only one of them would be necessary to remove an immunity, the other will still receive this penalty.

4a. Other methods to lower an enemies resistance (Cold Mastery, -Enemy Lightning Resistance on Griffon's Eye, etc.) cannot remove an immunity. However, if these methods are working against a non-immunity, they will always work at 100% effectiveness.
    4b. These methods will ONLY work for the person "wielding" them (so the -Enemy Lightning Resistance on your mercenary's polearm will not improve your sorceresses lightning damage - it will only improve your mercenary's lightning damage).

5. The lowest that a monster's resistance to any element can be lowered is to a total result of -100%. (For the PvP crowd, this also is true against enemy players/minions).

3. Jugz

Jugz IncGamers Member

Re: Breaking Immunities

Ahh i see, thanks that helps alot.

4. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian