Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Brandmancer advice

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by lumpor, May 24, 2008.

1. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Brandmancer advice

I'm planning on making a brandmancer, and I wonder how it hould look like? I'm thinking of this:

Helm: Crown of ages with ruby jewels of fervor or vampire gaze
    Weapon: "Brand" runeword. Need advice on which bow to use (cho-ku-no seems like the obvious choice, since it's very fast and necromancers are faster with crossbows than normal bows and because its requirements are much lower than demon crossbow)
    Armor: "Bone" runeword
    Amulet: Metalgrid/Angelic/Highlords/rare
    Belt: Razortail
    Ring 1: Angelic/wisp/rare/ravenfrost
    Ring 2: Angelic/wisp/rare
    Gloves: Before demon limb: Lavagout. After demonlimb: Hellmouth
    Boots: Marrowwalk/waterwalk/gore riders
    Switch: Cta, and manually switch to demonlimb every time you need to enchant

Skills:
    1 in dim vision, confusion and attract
    1 to all summoning skills except fire golem
    20 teeth, bone wall, bone prison and bone spirit
    Rest into corpse explosion/raise skeleton/clay golem/bone armor

Any way to improve it? I don't really understand the thing with on-weapon ias and off-weapon ias. Will off-weapon ias help here?

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Re: Brandmancer advice

You're not going to rely on physical damage with this set-up so the Chu-ko-nu is a solid choice.

Why this one? There are better armors for a melee type.

Some Decrep can't hurt either.

Necro's don't need to think about stuff like that. All IAS matters for us.

3. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

I was thinking that bone had a ctc to cast bone spear too, which would also be synergized and stuff. Which armor would be better? Enigma, CoH, Fortitude, Duress?

4. accipite

accipite IncGamers Member

just made a calculation. ur damage would be 1250 with all synergy. that seems pretty low. u may need to add other damage resources.

5. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Well, I'll be firing quite fast, and it will pierce targets too. With the bone runeword, there will be a chance to cast two of them too. And hellmouth has some extra ctc. There's no way to boost bone spear damage with items as far as I know.

Oh, and is there some calculator for all ias, fhr, fbr and fcr breakpoints?
    nvm found one. It seems necromancers with crossbows can fire at 11 fpa at best, and with chu-ko-nu that requires a measly 8% ias. I was hoping to get godly speed though. Stupid caps

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  6. Mad Mantis

True, but the spear is only level 10. I'm a big fan of Duress, although the CB is really nerfed on ranged weapons. Fortitude would also work well. Enigma can't be beat for mobility.

Yeah. The cap is at 10 FPA for Necros anyway so you wont be missing much.

7. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Ok. I still think I'll take bone though, since I like offence, and it gives style points, and since I don't need defence since I'll be ranged and I'll be using bone walls and bone prisons. Fortitude only helps physical damage, which won't be that high. I'll use duress against bosses and enigma when I need it (like runs and stuff).

8. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Ok, i have no idea how to edit in the new forum format, so I'll double post. I noticed that bows have a speed cap of 10 fpa, and that the great bow needs 95 ias to get to 10 fpa. I noticed that if I use razortail, brand and "bone" (which I have to), I can reach a maximum of 85 ias, and only that requires gear sacrifices. So I thought of a solution that doesn't involve me changing armor: Fanatisicm. Either I'll hire a rogue with faith (that fits quite well since both will be rangers and I don't need a tank), or I'll make a fanatisicm golem. That'll take quite many skill points (21 to be exact), but I think it's worth it. But that and synergies to bone spear, and prerequisites leaves me with only 4 points for curses. I'll need 3 more points to get both attract and decrep. Do I need all those curses, or can I skip a few? And how many points does the iron golem need to be immortal? And will it die if I die? And can ber drop from hell countess? Will those fewer points in bone armor and CE hurt this build? I'm thinking of maybe skipping confusion and attract and only put 10 into iron golem, and put the rest into ce, since this build needs a back-up source of high damage.

9. Mad Mantis

Getting a Fanaticism Golem is a great wealth investment since it will vanish for any number of reasons. Having it die is less likely than loosing it on a piece of terrain. Why not just go with a Chu-ko-nu?

10. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Well, I really feel that it should be as fast as possible. And bows can get to 10 fpa, while crossbows only 11 fpa. For the dissapearing problem, if you teleport, it'll still e there. But I think I'll use a faith merc instead

11. Mad Mantis

The question is does the extra 1 fpa really measure up against the loss of diversity in your skill points and Merc choice? I'd really wouldn't consider that 1 fpa worth it, but that is something we can agree to disagree on.

The Golem can and will disappear for more reasons than just distance. There are a lot of things that can happen where even teleporting won't bring him back. It is something to keep in mind when making a Golem from a decent item.

12. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

That's wierd. My clay golem never dissapears. He usually warps when i get too far away, and he's never dissapeared under any other circumstances either (except when I or the golem dies). Jednowlousy's friend uses a pride golem and it works well. I think I'll try both a chu-ko-nu and a great bow and see which one is best.