Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Brainstorm for merc ideas?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Lyndis, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

Brainstorm for merc ideas?

As you all know, there is virtually no build that doesn't benefit the most from employing the act2 merc over using other mercs. What kind of changes would you like to see to change that so all mercs are viable?

For one, I'd like to see some cool runewords to be NOT for polearms. Maybe tone down the stats of act 2 mercs?

2. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

The two main reasons to use Act 2 Mercs. Insight & Infinity. Screw one of them over, and make it like...a shield that gives it. Maybe a piece of Armor? That way, all those bloody hammerdins won't have to use Insight A2 mercs. Maybe a huge sword?

Second, prolly dumber choice. Make the Barb guy able to dual wield and use Frenzy or Double swing or something. There are no varieties in A5, it'd be cool to see like...Zerk mercs or Frenzy mercs, or even Singer mercs. That'd be so cool...

3. Calizzar

Calizzar IncGamers Member

well, slap a last wish collossus blade on an act 5 merc for a very good damage dealing tank who gives off an aura. give him guillame's face for 100% crushing blow and CoH for life steal and hell be a monster.

I'd love to see something happen to make the barb merc the best. because he is by far my favorite

4. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

That's 8.5 HRs just for the Merc's equipment. Just to make him match/exceed an A2 merc. You can make a really good A2 merc with Insight (not even worth Calcing, Sol is the highest rune), Tal Rasha's Mask, and...idk, Treachery...so for ~25-30 PGems, you can make a nice Aura merc.

The point isn't that the A2 can take bosses super fast. It's that they are cheap, and useful to a wide variety of builds. Insight and Infinity, the two cornerstones of the A2 merc...maybe Pride can sit there in a corner...

Also, Holy Freeze is a useful aura for many builds because it slows all the enemies down quite a bit. I think that having A5 mercs be monsters would offset the usefullness of A2 mercs. Think, A2 mercs die a whole lot in the Chaos Sanc, because of the IM. Woudln't it be nice for a Melee build to have a Zerk A5 merc hanging around that could kill stuff, even while IM'd?

5. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

What if we removed the Nightmare difficulty aura options for a2 mercs? In other words, you only get to choose Prayer, Thorns, or Blessed Aim? Or maybe in nightmare give the choices between an aura that acts like Salvation (but gives less resists), Sanctuary, and Redemption (uber tank merc :D)

And then maybe give Infinity to swords (hey, ACT 3 mercs can use them!!!!)

6. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Give act 5 mercs low level shout and BO. Let them use frenzy instead of bash and stun.
    Give act 1 mercs strafe instead of their normal attack. Give them some level of pierce and replace cold and fire arrow with frozen arrow and immolation arrow.
    Give act 3 mercs synergies or higher level spells or elemental masteries or whatever their problem is. Let them cast orb, meteor, or chain lightning sometimes.

Or remove all polearm runewords that give auras and beef up everyone else a bit. Or give the others some nice aura runewords too. Or lower the levels of act 2 merc's auras.

7. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Banned

A1: After you finish A1 quests, you should be able to hire corrupted rogues that have been captured in the monastery and re-programmed by Akara. If you defeat Blood Raven and Andariel, this goes with the storyline. I agree with giving them strafe and frozen/immo arrow.

A2: Not much here, I'd like to see a second attack besides jab, but since everyone is complaining that desert warriors are overpowered, I'll just shutup.

A3: Iron Wolves need a major boost to make them viable. Increase their elemental damage and give them a nova, frost nova or armageddon to use if they get surrounded. How about letting them cast lower resist from time to time? Also, the only good weapons for these guys is spirit or maybe fortitude sword, and this needs to be addressed.

A5: Giving them frenzy is a nice idea. I would throw in some random warcries on attack or something.

An additional item slot would be a great addition. I would suggest giving them a small skill tree and let them earn points, but it might be too much. They could all use an AI boost, and it would be cool if the appearance would change when you change items. They need new animations too.

8. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

maybe you don't see it so often but a lot of good players employ other mercs because they sometimes have advantages over melee mercs
    act1 merc can be equipped with faith/harmony/ice for auras and im doesn't affect them
    act3 merc can be equipepd with lawbringer/azure for sanctuary aura (good for cs hdins because it knocks undead back)
    act5 mercs are being used by "pro" goldfinders

of course the merc usage is closely tied to useful runewords for them so it's obvious that act2 mercs have a huge advantage here

all in all mercs are ok as they are, because improving them further is pointless, afterall it's you who is supposed to be doing the killing not them

9. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

Act1:
    Rogues

lvl 24+, rogues can use strafe.
    lvl 30+, rogues can use 5 shots strafe exploding/ice arrows.
    lvl 60+, rogues can use 2 shots strafe Immolation/frozen arrows.
    lvl 90+, rogues can use 4 shots strafe with Immolation arrow. The fire duration from Immolation arrow induces Terror at small radius.

Act 2:

Mercs

They're already powerful.

Act 3:

Iron Wolves

lvl 24+, iron wolves can teleport around your char.
    lvl 70+, iron wolves can cast blizzard/meteor/chainlightning.

Act 5:

Barbs

Can cast Shout/BO
    Can use Leap Attack

10. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

The problem with having those Barb Mercs casting BO/Shout/BC is that it overrides any higher level BO/BC/Shout in effect already. Not only is this annoying, but I can totally see anyone with an A5 merc being totally excluded from parties just because of that. Definitely a no-no in my book. Just make 'em stronger.

The A2 mercs have the auras, but they're as strong/stronger than the A5 mercs. Fix that by making A5 mercs stronger, or A2 mercs weaker, not by giving A5 mercs "auras".

11. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

A strength, defense and life boost for the act 5 mercs would make them more useful. They should get passive skills, the same as "real" Barbarians, such as Sword Mastery and Iron Skin. Give them something like ~250 str at level 90 and roughly 1.5 times the base life of act 2 mercs. That would make them more useful as tanks, but not too overpowered. The extra damage from Sword Mastery and extra strength would make up for their slow attack speed (compared to Jab).

OR...

You could choose from the Stun/Bashers, and the Double Swingers found on the Bloody Foothills. Dual-wielders could perhaps crank out Frenzy 10% of the time.

Rogues are pretty much fine as is, but could do with maybe a "trick" shot that they pull off every now and then, like people mentioned above, Immolation or Freezing arrow. Their own Cold/Fire arrows could then synergise with Immo/FA in the same way the Amazon's do.

Act 3 mercs are too far gone... well, perhaps they could just double the skill level of their spells, and add Fire/Light/Cold Mastery into the picture. Give them blocking ability with their shield, and you've got a done deal. I think teleport/meteor/blizzard/chain lightning would be a bit advanced for their simple minds...

12. Calizzar

Calizzar IncGamers Member

Ya after act 5, act 3 mercs are my favorite. They're actually pretty good if you want everything slowed. If you are melee and rich, grab one and slap last wish on him, giving you might aura. Give him spirit shield, griffs, and vipermagi. But then again you have to be rich.

Act 2 mercs are the best and by far the best for nonrich people. I think masteries would be the best way to solve the a3 merc damage. Even if you could get their lightnings to do 5-6k, they'd be sort of effective.

13. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Act 2 Might merc > last wish act 3 merc. You also conveintly fail to mention the act 2 merc's ability to have might and concentration auras. And the fact that they can actually do damage. Or a might merc with a doom polearm, which gives you might, can do damage, and slows better than an act 3 cold merc.

14. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

put lawbringer, heled storm, kiras, guardian angel on act3 cold merc and you got a perfect tank for baal/cs runs (mercs glacial spike freezes targets, knockback aura vs.undead, 90%allres, 35%dr)

many hdins use this

15. xNamastex

xNamastex IncGamers Member

I think we need an Act 4 merc. I picture an etheral spirit merc kinda a cross between Tyreal and a druid spirit. Some suggestions for powers would be mf detection (ie. pops chests and stuff automatically for you at higher %'s of mf), arcane intelligence (heads off on correct path in arcane for you), stashing capabilities (can hold additional stash and gold for you) and sings songs during battle.

Can only use etheral gear only. Can only use one-handed caster gear incl. sorb orbs and can actually use the spells on them too. Can use shields, but only etheral ones. Can't use body armour - only gloves, belts, boots and one ammy.