Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Brain-Damaged Man "Wakes-Up"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by TheGreatStickels, Jun 30, 2005.

1. TheGreatStickels

TheGreatStickels IncGamers Member

Brain-Damaged Man "Wakes-Up"

Brain-Damaged Man 'Wakes Up' After 10 Years

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — A firefighter brain-damaged in a 1995 roof collapse had an "amazing" weekend, recognizing and speaking with his four sons and other family and friends for the first time in years, a family spokesman said Monday.

"I want to talk to my wife," Donald Herbert (search) said out of the blue Saturday at the skilled nursing facility where he has lived for more than seven years. Staff members put Linda Herbert on the telephone.

It was the first of many conversations he had during a 14-hour stretch, Herbert's uncle, Simon Manka said.

"How long have I been away?" Herbert asked.

"We told him almost 10 years," the uncle said. "He thought it was only three months."

Herbert was fighting a house fire Dec. 29, 1995, when the roof collapsed, burying him under debris. He was 37. After going without air for several minutes, Herbert was comatose for 2½ months and has undergone therapy ever since.

News accounts in the days and years after his injury describe Herbert as blind and with little, if any, memory. Video shows him receiving physical therapy but apparently unable to communicate.

Manka declined to discuss his nephew's current condition, or whether the apparent progress was continuing Monday. The family was seeking privacy while doctors evaluated Herbert, he said.

"He's resting comfortably," the uncle said.

As word of Herbert's progress spread, a steady stream of visitors arrived at the Father Baker Manor (search) in this Buffalo suburb, many of whom deferred to the family when asked about Herbert.

"He stayed up 'til early morning talking with his boys and catching up on what they've been doing over the last several years," firefighter Anthony Liberatore told WIVB-TV.

Herbert's sons were 17, 16, 14 and 7 when he was injured.

Staff members at the nursing facility recognized the change in Herbert, Manka said, when they heard him speaking and "making specific requests."

"The word of the day was `amazing,"' he said.

Dr. Rose Lynn Sherr of New York University Medical Center (search) said when patients recover from brain injuries, they usually do so within two or three years.

"It's almost unheard of after 10 years," she said, "but sometimes things do happen and people suddenly improve and we don't understand why."

Manka said visitors let Herbert set the pace of the conversations and did not bring up the fire in which he was injured.

"The extent and duration of his recovery is not known at this time," Manka said. "However we can tell you he did recognize several family members and friends and did call them by name."

Someone emailed me the article so I don't have a link back to where it came from.

2. DaviddeJong

DaviddeJong IncGamers Member

That's really cool! After more than seven years! Amazing!

David.

3. SelfBaisResistor

SelfBaisResistor IncGamers Member

I can't pin down exactly where this was from, but I think I've seen a story like this a couple years ago.

4. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

I think that article is over a month old. I remember seeing it awhile ago.

5. Forcefeedback

Forcefeedback IncGamers Member

I had the same feeling. But it might be just that it's almost 3 months old so it must have circulated through OTF at least once already.

Anyways, good news for the family of the fireman. :clap:
    Not so good if his wife has already remarried or is seriously seeing someone else.

6. myleftfoot

myleftfoot IncGamers Member

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,155344,00.html

I think it was on this site in May

7. Dutchman

Dutchman IncGamers Member

Sadly, last I heard the guy had taken a step back, the initial period of clear lucidity only lasting for that first day.

Still pretty amazing, and that day, even if he completely reverts back, will no doubt be a treasured moment for his whole family.

Dutch

8. skihard

skihard Banned

this story was posted on these forums about a week or 2 after the terri shivo (or however you spell it) died.

9. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Even though this has been around the OTF, it is good to see Stickels back.

10. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Yeah, this happened quite some time ago. The man woke up one day, was completely lucid, spent a full day chatting it up with his entire family, and then started a rapid decline. At that point the news media stopped covering it, so we never heard what eventually happened to him.

Here's a Fox News article on it: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,158582,00.html

Of course, it's written by a Catholic priest and downplays the fact that a new experimental drug regime had been started up, giving the credit to God and such. Interesting that Fox is becoming the next Christian Broadcasting Network.

ABC news:
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=818244

Apparently he is still lucid, which is pretty incredible.

11. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

Wow. Unbelievable 'news' source. Next they're going to report that God exists 100% and they have reports of athiests burning in hell for not believing in God.

Edit:

12. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

I posted this back when the story broke. *zing*