Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Brain-Damaged Man 'Wakes Up' After 10 Years

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Amra, May 3, 2005.

1. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — A firefighter brain-damaged in a 1995 roof collapse had an "amazing" weekend, recognizing and speaking with his four sons and other family and friends for the first time in years, a family spokesman said Monday.

"I want to talk to my wife," Donald Herbert said out of the blue Saturday at the skilled nursing facility where he has lived for more than seven years. Staff members put Linda Herbert on the telephone.

It was the first of many conversations he had during a 14-hour stretch, Herbert's uncle, Simon Manka said.

"How long have I been away?" Herbert asked.

"We told him almost 10 years," the uncle said. "He thought it was only three months."

Herbert was fighting a house fire Dec. 29, 1995, when the roof collapsed, burying him under debris. He was 37. After going without air for several minutes, Herbert was comatose for 2½ months and has undergone therapy ever since.

News accounts in the days and years after his injury describe Herbert as blind and with little, if any, memory. Video shows him receiving physical therapy but apparently unable to communicate.

Manka declined to discuss his nephew's current condition, or whether the apparent progress was continuing Monday. The family was seeking privacy while doctors evaluated Herbert, he said.

"He's resting comfortably," the uncle said.

As word of Herbert's progress spread, a steady stream of visitors arrived at the Father Baker Manor in this Buffalo suburb, many of whom deferred to the family when asked about Herbert.

"He stayed up 'til early morning talking with his boys and catching up on what they've been doing over the last several years," firefighter Anthony Liberatore told WIVB-TV.

Herbert's sons were 17, 16, 14 and 7 when he was injured.

Staff members at the nursing facility recognized the change in Herbert, Manka said, when they heard him speaking and "making specific requests."

"The word of the day was `amazing,"' he said.

Dr. Rose Lynn Sherr of New York University Medical Center said when patients recover from brain injuries, they usually do so within two or three years.

"It's almost unheard of after 10 years," she said, "but sometimes things do happen and people suddenly improve and we don't understand why."

Manka said visitors let Herbert set the pace of the conversations and did not bring up the fire in which he was injured.

"The extent and duration of his recovery is not known at this time," Manka said. "However we can tell you he did recognize several family members and friends and did call them by name."

2. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

How weird would that be, to just suddenly "wake up" and then learn that your sons had grown up and the world had changed.

Very cool story, I want to know how he got healed(seemingly) so suddenly.

3. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

Was there not something like this 2 years ago when some dude woke up after about 20 years in a coma or something?

4. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

I'd play tricks on him, tell him it's the year 2121....

Or not, but reasonably I can't imagine what it would be like to be out of the world for that long and re-enter.

5. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

It will be interesting to hear how this all plays out.

6. Moosashi

Moosashi IncGamers Member

Someone very close to me has some very serious nerve damage that hasn't improved for a long time. This story offers some hope though. Maybe there'll be another miracle yet.

7. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

He'll be mad the Sabres aren't in the playoffs.

8. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

haha!

Newsflash: Jim Kelly retired.

9. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

<insert tasteless comment on the Terry Schiavo case>

10. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

I was waiting for that....