Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Boycott EZboard

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mepersoner, Mar 24, 2004.

1. mepersoner

mepersoner IncGamers Member

Boycott EZboard

Posted by my friend Lisa at another board:

Yesterday, I was suckered into visiting an EZBoard, and the ads there changed my browser's homepage setting, and loaded over 100 spyware programs onto my computer. It was so bad that the computer spent over 10 minutes booting up with all of these things running. And, even when I was able to re-set my homepage, hundreds of popups appeared when I tried opening my browser, thus making my system effectively useless except as a tool for spyware companies. I spent over 6 hours working on my system to get it back to normal.

Now I realize that EZBoard is a for-profit company that has employees to pay and a board of directors interested in making sure that shareholders get dividends. I also realize that as an online business, ad revenue is one of the only possible sources of income for them. (They do make some money from subscriptions, more on that later.) However, there is big difference between an advertizement and a delivery system for software intended to hijack a customer's computer.

I know that EZBoard has sites without ads, where the users pay to be a 'gold' community. This wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that their subscription money goes to support the people who decided to allow the agressively invasive ads on the non-'gold' boards.

I also know that I could view all EZBoard without ads by being a 'gold' member. However, I am a very lucky person. I saw this information before they added the advertizing. Now, a new vistor has to be subjected to the onslaught of spyware before they have the privledge of finding their way to the tiny link to information about the 'gold' subscription program. If they find the information page, nowhere in that page is there any warning regarding the nature of the 'advertizing' on the site. I refuse to become a 'gold' member because I do not want to reward the company for deciding to treat new visitors in this manner.

I find the entire EZBoard business model unconscionable. EZBoard knowingly subjects their new visitors and low-income users to an invasion of their privacy, and alters their computers. -And they are profiting from it!

I will never visit another EZBoard site again. I am recommending that my friends and family do the same. I know that some of you run EZBoards, and I hope you realize that my refusal to visit your board is not a personal slight. I would, however, encourage you to consider moving your community elsewhere, to a company that treats visitors decently.

[size=-2]Feel free to re-post this message online.
    I only ask that it be copied in its entirety, so that portions not be viewed out of context.
    [/size]

2. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

what is ezboard?

3. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

If you really want to know, go to their website, dude. Sheesh.

4. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

*Pats iBook and Mozilla* Doesn't hurt me at all. *Continues look at EZBoard forums*

5. th5418

th5418 Banned

I've never heard of EZboard.....

6. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

uh, will what happened to him happen to me?

7. th5418

th5418 Banned

Probably, by the way your avatar goes too fast.....

8. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Nah his handwriting is just to sloppy.

9. lala

lala IncGamers Member

this kind of stuff is pretty standard nowadays... now imagine the guys selling u a program with bad stuff in it also sells a cure for the bad stuff... they can go as far as that just for your $$$$

10. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

Interesting that you would bring that up.

Did you folks know that the same company that develops the radars that police use to catch you speeding also produces the radar detectors that keep you from getting caught?

Gotsa love the system.

11. GIR

GIR Banned

Makes sense. Who would know how to detect something better than the company who makes it?

12. lala

lala IncGamers Member

making both sides waste their money on unnecessary things that cancel each other out... the company basicly gets free money

i got another example, there is this internet cafe really near a school to attract gamers after school...ironically, there is a tutoring center right beside it. guess what? same owner

13. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Why do people stich with that POS browser when it causes grief like this?

14. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

I didn't know you could sew.

EZboard used to be censored by the word filter. 'Nuff said.

15. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Yeah, what's more, I can sew with a browser, apparently. :teeth: Unfortunately I dropped some stitches and left out a "t" there.

16. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

i wonder how long before they pass a law that makes it unlawful for companies to dump spyware into your computers. Cyber trespass? Cyber battery? Cyber burglary? Cyber robbery?

can't wait to start a class action suit on that one.

17. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Google popup blocker stomps them into the ground.

18. Starfishied

Starfishied IncGamers Member

Whao! That's scary. I sure don't want any 100 spams on my browers. Not that I visit that website anyway.

19. Good-At-Trading

Good-At-Trading Banned

Yeah, I've had crap like that. SO what I did, was download "THE CLEANER" I had adaware but it wasn't solving my problem with the reseting homepage. I also had other problems like my toolbar was locked. (Posted something about this). SO the cleaner did its work, It found 36 trojans on my computer. I got rid of all of em and now my homepage no longer resets my computer runs at a normal pace again and I don't get a bunch of pop ups that kick me out of my computer games even though I run 2 different pop up stoppers.

20. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

36 trojans? Geez. Is there a way to route those trojans into each other so that they each pass on to the original authors? So that each author gets 35 trojans ram down their throats?