Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bowmancer question

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by batuchka, May 10, 2005.

1. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Bowmancer question

Hi all! I am thinking of making a bowmancer and i have a few questions but i shall elaborate on my ideas first hehe. I am unsure if i should make an 'Edge' in a Pellet Bow or 'Harmony' in Blade Bow? Looking at the runes needed and bonuses i might even make both and either use a rogue merc with one of the bows or have them on switch :p I was thinking of a zookeeper/summoner and some summon plain GCs to offset not having +skills from weapon/head and my questions are :

1) Harmony has +Valk I could boost this with +all skills gear but would say a +3 passive/magic, 20ias gloves further boost it as well? It'll be a nice party with skellies, mages, clay, merc and valk :p

2) Where can i find FPA rates for necros using bow/xbows? I tried the German Weapon speed calculator stickied at the Barb Forum but i am unsure what ias means - ias from bow or total from gear?

3) Is there an existing Bowmancer guide here in the necro forum? Also would investing in posion dagger add passive AR when using bow?

4) Would DV/Attract be a good idiea to handle ranged monsters?

5) Would Razortail pierce still this patch? Also am i correct to conclude that Cleglaw's Pincers, deceprify and clay would stack in slowing monsters?

Thanks to anyone who could enlighten me :D

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

1) No. Those are geared towards the Skill tree of an Amazon. You only get the skill, not the skill tree. Only generic +skills will boost the Valk.

2) When you use that calc IAS means all of the IAS on your gear combined.

3) No real Bowmancer guide, but there is information on Bowmancers in my Meleemancer guide and in several threads on this forum.

4) Yes, they would. Both of them will do a good job of controlling ranged attackers.

5) AFAIK Razortail still gives pierce. Those three sources of slow stack. Later today I’ll post a link to a thread about slow and how it stacks. Can’t find it right now.

3. batuchka

Hey thanks a mil MM! I have read your guide and it really helps on this summoning Dark Ranger necro that i'm making :p Think i shall go with this template :

Max Raise Skelly
    Max Mages
    Max Skelly Mastery
    Max Posion Dagger (does the AR bonus still holds true?)
    pts into DV for radius

Looking at uniqs upgraded shael Pus Spitter Gorgon Xbow, Buriza, upped WWS and upped Goldstrike Arch looks nice and i'd go with a might merc i guess :D I especially like shael Goldstrike Hydra Bow as with highlords, 20ias kb gloves and nosferatus coil i shall hit 11 FPA and it has nice AR bonus and ed vs undead/demons :p

4. Mad Mantis

Nope. Check out this.

Goldstrike is indeed a nice bow. Windforce and Buriza can also be used to great effect.

5. batuchka

Wow that was a really helpful thread and kudos to NC for testing it out - poor quill rat for being guinea pig though :p Gee with that PD bug out now Goldstrike with up to 150% bonus AR looks even more appealing and i might go ravenfrost and eth rune in bow if i could get ias from other sources or the way i see it i'd go a frame slower for higher cth :p Just found a 5/5 lecher with AR rare ring last night and i'd kep an eye out for high dmg rare bows with Fool's mod these next few days hehe. Lastly does Widowmaker's 'Fire Magic Arrows' means its's ITD vs all monsters...and no leech? Thanks again MM and cheers!

6. riplix

riplix IncGamers Member

lvl20 magic arrows only covert 20% (right?) to magic dmg so you'll still leech. i think i have a nice necro leech circlet lying around. i'll check if it's suitable. can give it to you as some sort of sponsering creative builds ;)

7. Mad Mantis

Not ITD, but it does give a 181% AR bonus.

Correct.

8. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

If Buriza was used, would it be worth it to upgrade?

9. batuchka

Riplix : Hmm currently i am playing at West Ladder and ya it'll be good if you could pass me that necro circlet and thanks for the offer :D Wow this makes Widowmaker an interesting bowmancer weapon hehe. Upgrading buriza would increase the str req by quite a lot not sure if the increased dmg is worth it though. I would have viewed upping Witchwild String or Goldstrike worth it or even a Riphook but its a matter of preference hehe Still hoping to land a nice rare 300ed/fools mod 2 sock bow :p

10. riplix

riplix IncGamers Member

i'm on EUL so that won't work :(

11. batuchka

Hey no worries - have helm dept more or less figured out but really appreciate offer :D Actually i used to play both West and Europe and i am considering moonlighting at Europe again hehe No idea when ladder's ending though ^^

12. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

A necro with a valk sounds like a hoot, especially if you can get her to level 17. Dual BK rings, a +2 Helm (Andy's might be ideal for melee), +2 armor, +2 all Ama gloves, and 1 skiller would get you there on a perfect roll. Slap Pride on your merc and watch everybody go to town while you pick targets of opportunity at your leisure. Of course you might want to grab another 3 ama skillers so you can use angelics for AR.

Another bowamancer possibility would be to take advantage of the new holy aura runewords and LR while using skellies to mop up all the nonphysical immunes. Not as powerful as a bowadin with a max conviction aura unless of course you count the curses, the horde of minions, and corpse explode.

And then there's the Faith bow. The problem with this bow is that if you max skellies, they might be killing targets too quickly for you to get many shots in if you're also using a Might merc. On the other hand, with lots of crushing blow, open wounds, deadly strike items, and an excessive amount of Dex, you can do something other standard summon necros can't which is help put the hurt on bosses and super uniques on top of the mad damage your skellies are already doing. If you get Enigma, you can keep wiz spike and Homonc on switchout for a crazy boost to FCR and resists while enjoying max block so you can teleport quickly with minimal risk. Furthermore, if those monsters reanimated by the bow count as revives, your Skeleton Mastery will give them a huge boost. The other nice thing about Faith is that it gives huge bonuses to hit, reducing the likelihood of having to use Angelics. Hmm... I LIKE this one.

The challenge for a Faith bowamancer is that the bow has no IAS. Max rate of fire is 10 frames (2.5/second) and you need 99% IAS to hit it. Here's some items for getting IAS.

Belts - Razor Tail is nice for the pierce, but since you don't have any of the amazing amazing Amazon skills that cause nasty things to happen every time a target gets hit and your skellies are going to chew threw the canon fodder hordes pretty well without your help, I'm not certain it's necessary. I'd recommend using Goldwrap or Verdungos for 10% IAS or a belt that gives nice life leech, resists, or PDR. Iks, Orphan's Call, Disciple's Credendum, all the elite belts, String of Ears, T-Gods, and Snowclash all do very nice things for you.

Gloves

Sig's Gloves + Boots 30% - No Boot gives IAS so aside from otherwise crappy items this is the best possible for gloves AFAIK

Bramble Mitts - 20% and a huge damage boost against demons which includes all bosses. If you don't have to use the Sig's thing, stick with these instead.

Rares - Rare gloves can get 20% IAS and have lots of really useful mods. Crafted Bloods with 20% IAS will also give you some extra life leech and crushing blow at 5-10%..

Helms

Mav's Circlet - 30% Best IAS on a helm piece AFAIK

Andariel's Visage - 20% and +2 all, leech, huge poison resistance, a 15% chance level 15 p-nova when hit whose synergies you can max if you so desire. This one is probably a lot more ideal than mav's, although you'll need to compensate for the -30 fire resist which might make it hard to put a 15% IAS jewel.

Amus

Cat's Eye - 20% and nice FRW, Dex bonus, and +Def agains missiles
    Highlord's - 20% and probably the ideal amu for +1 all skills and Deadly Strike

Armor

Assuming like many of us, you can't afford Enigma or any of the other godly RW armors, Twitchthroe and Crow Caw give 20% and 15%. Twitchthroe isn't really worth upgrading, but Crow Caw also has a nice OW bonus.

Socketables

Socketable items are another option for IAS since 15% IAS jewels are reasonably cheap if you're not looking for one with a nice second mod.

Griz' Helm and Armor - Six socket points means a potential 90% IAS which will be way more than you'll need with Highlord's and 20% gloves. You can use any extra sockets to help shore up resist problems, enhance your stats, get more MF, or increase your FHR/Block Rate. Furthermore you get some nice benefits like +40 Strength, some MF, +5 all resists, and some nice cold absorb. The Griz duo is very nice for customizing a build.

Spirit Forge - 2 sockets and a nice life and strength bonus.

Crown of Ages - 1-2 sockets. An incredible helm for any build but this one will probably be too heavy for you if you're not using enigma and other strength enhancing gear.

Giant Skull - 1-2 sockets and it has knockback, crushing blow, and a hefty strength bonus. It also has a much more manageable strength req.

Alright, now on to Deadly Strike, Crushing Blow, and Open Wounds stuff. Since Necros aren't that hot with the weapon speed, you're going to want as many points into making each hurt as much as possible. Here's a few items to consider. Some of them usurp good IAS slots, but then maybe you have it all covered with Griz' and a belt or something. In order of Deadly Strike, CB, and Open Wounds:
    Helms

Guillaume's Face 15/35/0 - dirt cheap and gives 30% FHR
    Giant Skull 0/10/0 - Already a winner for IAS and knockback

Boots

Gore Rider's 15/15/10 - All three and nice FRW
    Goblin Toe 0/25/0 - Dirt cheap and hefty bonus to CB

Armor

Rattlecage 0/25/0 - Not really worth it for the hit to armor and major stregth req if you upgrade IMO and the 40% to monster flee is kind of annoying.
    Crow Caw 0/0/35 - Nice OW and it gives +15% IAS
    Tooth Row 0/0/40 - Decent other mods, but I don't think it beats Crow Caw
    Bone Flesh 0/0/25 - Nice eDef and has life leech too but I wouldn't bother upgrading it.

Gloves

Steel Rends 0/10/0 - Nice EDamage and strength bonus, but the 185 Str req will hurt without Enigma and other +str gear
    Venom Grips 0/5/0 - Super common and have dual leech.
    Dracul's Grasp 0/0/25 - Fantastic gloves for non necros but you already have Life Tap. Nice leech and life after kills though.

Amulets

Highlord's more DS per level. There really is no other choice of amu IMO.

Crafted Blood items - Helms give 5-10 Deadly, Gloves 5-10 Crushing, and Belts 5-10 OW. There are too many better belt and helm options IMO but once again, the gloves could very well prove to be worthwile with the right mods.

13. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Alright. Durrrr on the faith bow. It of course gives 31-33 IAS due to its Fanat aura.

Also, I forgot Duress, which gives 15 CB, 33 OW, decent resists and Def, and 40% FHR. Nice RW armor for any weapon use build.

So here's what I'm thinking

Guillaume's
    Highlord's
    Crow Caw - socketed with 15 IAS Jewel
    Blade or Great Bow Faith
    Disciple Gloves
    Gore Riders
    Open Ring choices (Probably want good resist rings)

This gives you 50-60% Deadly Strike, 50% CB, 45% Open Wounds, massive damage bonus to demons, and 2.5 attacks a second. However, your resists are going to be complete and total crap without some seriously nice charms.

14. batuchka

Wow nice suggestions/ideas Pherdnut and i appreciate it :D I was looking at r/w possibilities and Faith is slightly over my budget to be honest :( Ok according to the German Weapon speed calculator a lvl 12 fan roll Faith -10 speed bow would need 29ias while lvl 15 fan needs 26ias for 10Fpa :D Geez the minions would do some serious damage and think you are right - it could be that things get dead before you fire off a few volleys hehe. Hmm i didn't think gloves could spawn with +2 zon skills - isn't it up to +3 to a single zon tree? Agree - resists are gonna be it hard but i have a perfect resist Kira's and with an Um in it it could go a long way to solve resists problems but i'd sacrifice cb or +skills employing it :(