Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bowazon gear list, and skill recommendations.

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by rachil0, Apr 8, 2005.

1. rachil0

rachil0 IncGamers Member

Bowazon gear list, and skill recommendations.

I been wanting to make a huge physical damage bowazon for a while, here's what I have come up with so far:

Gear:
    Bow - ed/ias WF (35 ias)
    Armor - fortitude archon
    Helm - andariels (fugly :( ) with an ias / LR jewel (35 ias)
    Gloves - loh, lots of fire resist to counter andy's visage (20 ias)
    Belt - razortail or maybe string
    Boots - resist rares? gotta resists somewhere. If I feel safe enough, WT (she's on HC mode)
    Rings - raven frost / a rare something or other
    Amulet - atmas

Charms:
    passives gcs (3 or 4 of em)
    whatever resists charms i can get

Might Merc:
    eth pride thresher
    guillames face
    duress in something big and ethy
    (trying to load on CB to make up the lack of raw damage on pride, he will help me more with bosses that way)

Skills:
    20 in misc passives (~60% crit, ~65% pierce, 1 D/A/E)
    5-10 ish in multishot
    1 GA
    maybe a medium investment in strafe (another 5-10ish?)

From there, I am not sure what to do. I think that leaves about 50-60 points free (shooting for level 85ish endgame). I will probably either max either magic arrow or CA+FA for attacking PI's (I really like FA, but if magic arrow can do better with just 20 pts compared to 40). Maxing valk is an option too, because the merc alone will be pretty flimsy (low damage, no leech). I can be pretty diligent about feeding him juves and knocking back pack enemies off of him.

Anyone run a multizon like this and have suggestions for skills to invest in?

Also, will +skills increase the strength of his concentration aura? It will definitely boost his might IIRC.

2. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

Your plan is pretty good, but I would recommend a Faith 15 gmb instead of WF. Faith is simply a better weapon than WF. Insane speed, good damage and extra stats(res, skills, ITD...) really help a lot - even more so since you are using pride. In that case, you will also need a dual leech ring. Faith 15 requires 92% ias for 7frame speed so you will need a 45% ias helm (mav's with 15ias jewel or 3soc helm with 3x15ias/res) and 10% ias belt(I'd take nosferatu's coil), and highlord's.

War travelers add a lot of extra damage so they're a top choice, and LoH is a no-brainer.

As for charms, I'd go with 3-xx-xx scs or 10-xx-xx gcs, or simply and inv full of 20life scs with a few res scs as well to fill holes in your resistances (although they should be pretty good with all the mentioned gear already (depending on jewels used ofc).

My bowzons usually have skills like that (+skills are already included):
    Valk MAX
    Strafe MAX
    Penetrate MAX
    Multi 10
    Critical 13
    Pierce 10
    Freezing arrow 1
    The rest then goes to D/A/E.

3. rachil0

rachil0 IncGamers Member

All right, I hit 73, slapped on WF and been whacking some monsters but I am back with more questions. Currently I have max strafe, 10 MS, 1 pt in all my bowskill prereqs and 1 pt in FA and 1 point in all my passives. About 30 points free.

My main question is what to do with these points from here? Leaning towards either max valk and max magic arrow, or max FA/CA. I'd like to hear some more opinions on which would be better.

Does critical strike help magic arrow? Will amping the target get more damage with it (from there being more physical available to convert?)

Also, I am sorta wondering why everyone likes strafe so much. I didn't like it at one skill point invested, because it shooting two lousy arrows. So I maxed it, and it just seems like I can kill much faster with multishot. When facing packs, I can either shoot single arrows at 3 frames with strafe, or drop out 12 arrows and whack everybody, every 9 frames with MS. I think I prefer hitting everyone at once.

Their damage is negligibly different, there are so many %ed sources (fortitude,dexterity,prides conc,mercs might) that the +100%ed from maxed strafe doesn't do a whole lot.

I'm guessing strafe is only > MS for those medium-ish groups, like 4-5 monsters. Sorta wishing I had maxed MS instead, just for huge fanout and flat out abuse of the skill. She's doing so much damage and leeching with WF's innate ML that I am not worried about mana consumption at all.

Also, does ctc amp still work with FA? It does not seem as effective as it used to be in 1.09. You could splash a pack with FA and be almost guaranteed of amping everyone.

4. Leohappy

You pretty much figured out what I already told you in the above post. Using multishot with Faith (7frame speed) is a real killer. WF can't compare. Considering the stuff that you use, you must be rich enough to afford a faith.

I mostly use strafe vs. boss monsters and small groups of skeletons (since strafe uses less mana and does more dmg than multi vs. tight packs).

Dealing with physical immunes does not seem to be much of an issue to me really. I play in pits, flayer jungle, lower kurast and chaos sanctuary, and PI's never seem to appear there so to me at least, magic arrow is a waste of points.

5. rachil0

rachil0 IncGamers Member

I'd try faith except I truly did spend all my currency on the runes for pride and fortitude (along with a grief I made on my barb). If ever I see a jah for cheap I will get it and try it out though.

6. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

I tend to agree with leo a bit here. Multi at only 9 frames even with a WF and Fortitude might be a little disapointing.

I love the bow, armor, gloves and helm including your socket choices. War travlers, ravenfrost are great. This is exactly what I wear for my straffer. You should just finish it off. You only need 30% more for a 9/2 strafe so cats eye, nos coil and one of the following: ravenfrost, dwarf star, wisp projector and you have a killer 9/2 straffer. Pump Magic arrow, grab a bunch of resist/life charms and you will kill everything very fast and safely. You could still use multi once in a while where appropriate but you would end up using strafe 85% of the time. Trust me.

By the way, amp only casts from a physical hit and then only from the middle 2 or 4 arrows (I can't remember which). CtC is not as effective for multi compared to strafe.

Strafe with pierce/knockback absolutely rocks. Strafe at 9/3 should not be compared to multi at 9 frames. Multi will feel better. When you get strafe up to 9/2 and compare that to multi 9 frames, you will like strafe better in most situations. I can not stand multi below 8 frames but when you get there, it is awesome.

Also depends on your play style. If you find that you are constantly in the middle of a room with badies in all directions (the way you would play a hammerdin) then you will probably always prefer multi. I you find that you are often funneling badies into bottlenecks, then you will definately like strafe better.

Play them like this: If a doorway to an open room exists, the multi walks into the doorway and sends out a wide spread (hold shift and keep pointer close), the straffer stands several feet outside and sends out a long strafe (hold shift and keep pointer furthest away). 2 different styles maximizing 2 different skills.

7. rachil0

rachil0 IncGamers Member

I would like to hit 9/2 strafe just to try it out. But I hate to give up atmas amulet and the ctc amp to get there. How about:

shael wf (40)
    nos coil (10)
    IK gloves+boot (25)
    IAS 3 socket helm or mavs (45)

I hate giving up WT and LoH too.

It seems like another route would be to use highlords, forget about atmas, and use reapers thresher to get a curse effect from a merc. But I started picking gear with the premise that pride+amp would be better than reapers thresher, even if I was slower.

I hate to ditch the polearm now that I've already made it.

8. rachil0

rachil0 IncGamers Member

I think this is the difference. IIRC, FA used to trigger ctc effects when applying cold damage around the impacted monster. Attack 2 or 3 close monsters with a single FA, and you get 3 chances at casting amp... even more if you line em up and pierce. Shame that was changed :(

9. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

At this point, it's not casting very often for you, nor is it helping that much as the radius is small and you are not grouping monsters like a straffer would. When it does cast, it's probably not affecting that many monsters anyway. Atmas is best used if you can strafe at 9/2 or faster without needing the amulet spot for ias. WWS straffers would be an example. You would be giving up too much of the other gear in order to keep the atma and still hit 9/2. Bite the bullet and get yourself a cats eye or highlords and try the straffer. It will be worth it.

Remember that bowazons are not pumping 15K damage no matter what you do. Settle for very good damage but high speed and you accomplish the same goal. Reapers would help a lot with boss's but your juiced up magic arrow would kill the PI's for you anyway so it's not like you need decrep to break the immunities. Keep the pride for the incredible damage boost. You will slaughter everything.

Statistically, lowering physical resistance by 50-100% with decrep or amp would appear to cause more damage than the increase from concentration. In actual game play though, your extremely high speed and damage will wipe out most everything before either get the chance to cast.

10. rachil0

rachil0 IncGamers Member

What about keeping the whole rig except for WF, get WWS/atmas/pride/LoH and fortitude. If I read tables right, it's 86 ias for the 9/2 breakpoint, so change basically nothing from what I have now:

ed/ias,shael up'd wws (35 ias)
    LoH (20 ias)
    fervor andy visage (35)

atmas (gogo super amp stacking), pride, fort, WT, raven frost, rare ring.

How would that play out? I feel WF is probably better just because of the better base damage.

11. Leohappy

I'd just like to add that my testing showed that WF + atma's amulet is a pretty poor combination to use. Level 2 amp has very small radius, so more often than not, monsters are knockbacked out of the amp radius, thus making the curse useless, since it casts into nothingness. When i finally got angry enough, I dumped atma's in favor of Highlord's on my WF-zon, not regretting it.

Also I'd like to know, what area you are playing/mf-ing in since you are so overly concerned with physical immunes. It is indeed rare that I encounter such a creature, so dumping pride in favor of reaper's is out of question.

You should remember though, that speed is what matters most for the bow-zon, so you should really get your WF speed up to 9/2. Every little bit of extra speed improves your damage considerably, and also causes more stunlock and knockback on monsters.

12. rachil0

rachil0 IncGamers Member

Right now I am just leveling in the pits until level 83. I have yet to quest hell. I just like to be able to whomp on any monster, pi or otherwise. Though I hate to lose atmas, it seems like the current suggestion is:

ED/ias WF (35ias)
    fervor andy visage (35)
    LoH (20)
    Highlords wrath (20)
    Nos coil (10)

Merc: might/pride

Hits 120 ias on the nose.

13. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

Good choice. An upped WWS has about 40% of the average damage of your WF anyway. Yes the 9/2 breakpoint is easier to hit but you can put points in Critical Strike to balance out the WWS's Deadly Strike. WWS is an excellent Hardcore bow for the resists and overall balance of the mods. WF with exceptional gear (which you have access to) will blow it away. Even in the pits, you will run into PI's. Worldstone, Arcane Sanctuary and other places also. Max MA for those area's. The 23% or so converted to magic damage is a ton especially when critical strike kicks and you are fighting a demon. PI's will drop incredibly fast and it uses ZERO mana. When baal does his mana burn, you can blast him 5 or 6 times with magic arrow until you have enough mana to go back to strafe. I use magic arrow as left click and strafe on the right.

I always prefer Cats eye compared to Highlords for the dex and FRW. I usually get my critical strike up to between 60 and 65%. At that point the additional deadly strike % from highlords is not worth the loss of the extra dex and FRW from cats eye but there are differing opinions on which is better. Either will work very well. If you want to go pure bowazon, use a hel'd demon limb on switch for the enchant. lasts 11 minutes and boost's your AR through the roof.

As far as stat points go, for softcore I usually go base vitality, energy and str for gear. The rest goes to dex. I end up at about 500 at level 90. For vitality and resists, I go all charms. You should be able to get life up to about 750 this way. Will be more than enough for softcore. One additional note. If you are new to bowazons, get used to slow missles. This works very well when you run into souls and ranged attackers. I just run around in a circle casting slow everywhere for 2 seconds, then I can safely take them out 1 at a time with magic arrow if they are PI which they often are. Takes some getting used to but once you get the hang of it, it becomes an invaluable skill.

14. rachil0

rachil0 IncGamers Member

I've got crit at 50% or so now, highlords will take me up to about 65% double damage and also has the +1 skill (not super but helps D/A/E/passives for free) and gives me LR which I really lack (-12% LR atm). I've been using the enchant charges on demonlimb pretty liberally.

I think I need more vita, already had one close call with a cold enchanted monster (took about 700 of 900 life). I am at 134 str (or whatever WF is), 167 def (WF again) and about 175 vita. I have about 150 stat points free, I think most of them are going into vitality. How much base AR per dex point do amazons get? AR is another issue for me (3K/7K w/ chant). I think I need more penetrate.

15. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

Are you hardcore? If not, put all those points in Dex. Not sure how much ar will increase per but it will make a huge difference. My enchanted Ar is probably between 17k and 21k. I can't remember it's been so long since I played her. Dex is where you get your damage/AR from. You should get up to at least 350 dex no matter what. Try to improve your charms for resists and life. I think you said you were carrying 3 passive skillers. I'd drop those first and send a few skill points into the important passives & use those slots for more resists and life. A cold enchanted monster should never be able to kill you if you keep the safe distance that a straffer should. Lightening should be your biggest problem and only from golms. Maybe fire from hydra's. This is when your second ring will vary. Dwarf star for travincial, wisp for worldstone. I can't remember the last time an enchanted anything damaged my straffers. If they are getting close, back up to a safe distance before taking the killing shot. Another play strategy that I found usefull is to fire 1 strafe volley, then move in a diagonal away from the enemies. Fire a second strafe and move in another diagonal. kind of like a W. Keeps ranged attacks from homing in on you. Since you have a full second for a strafe volley to finish, you can plan your move (move the pointer) while the strafe is casting so that you have a nice safe place to go when it is complete. Definately keep the highlords if it is working for you.

one last thing, If you are hardcore, I might switch the pride for a reapers, or switch the merc from might to holy freeze and keep the pride. Either move will make you safer but definately cut down on some damage.