Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bowazon: Gear and skills

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by MrSmilez, Jul 12, 2010.

1. MrSmilez

MrSmilez IncGamers Member

Bowazon: Gear and skills

After seeing some bowazon videos on youtube it was interesting how the zon was firing arrows all over the shop and since i was getting bored with my Hammerdin and Light Sorc, i've decided to make a bowazon. My gear choice is no where near Godly so here it is:

Helm: Vampire Gaze
    Body: Fortitude AP?
    Weapon: Faith GMB
    Belt: Razortail
    Ring 1: Ravenfrost
    Ring 2: Rare 8ll ring
    Boots: War Travelers
    Gloves: Laying of Hands?
    Amulet: Atma's or Highlords?
    Switch: Havn't a clue

Well that is my planned setup. Im pretty sure i can afford the Faith, the Fortitude probably and i pretty much wont have much runes left over after getting a Infinity for my sorc. Also not sure if im getting to the Break point with IAS.

For the skills, errr, totally lost. I read some guides and all i know is to max Strafe.

For my merc, A2 Might Merc? 'Ral'd' Andys, Eth Duriels, Eth Insight.

So all in all i need some advice if im going on the right track.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. Kijya

Kijya IncGamers Member

Re: Bowazon: Gear and skills

Pure physical bowzons commonly have skillpoints to spare, especially if you're using a faith.

If you ask me you should not only invest into strafe but also multiple shot, because it will be more effective then strafe in wide open areas. If you're using multi you will however need to look up the IAS breakpoints since those matter a lot, for strafe you really don't need to think much about it (fana alone is enough).

In your passive tree you should get critical strike to at least level 16 (70% iirc) and level 9 pierce to reach 100% pierce with razortail. You need only one point in penetrate since faith gives you enough of an AR boost (300% on the bow + bonus from fana).

The dodge skills are enough with 1 point for pvm imo. Adjust valkyrie level to your preference but level 17 is often mentioned as a good level since she gets her rare war pike at that level.

Even with this you'll probably have some points over, and it's up to you how to use them. You could leave the pure physical bowzon route and go for FA/strafe or a bow/java hybrid, but it's up to you.

You'll need a PI solution in any case, and for most pure physical bowzons atma's amu is the choice. If you're aiming at 7 fpa multi you'll need to use highlords or cat's amu (along with 13+ fana, 20 ias gloves, 45 ias helm) but otherwise atmas is fine alone.

For the merc you should get reapers instead of insight, let mana leech keep your mana up and enjoy the slow and -50% physical res of decrep instead. Of course pride is often preferred on the really high end bowzons, but reapers is a rather useful replacement, especially against PI's.

3. Rawness

Rawness IncGamers Member

Vampire gaze -> Andys OR Giant skull for the knockback and 2sockets.
    And KB is pretty nice to have.
    Atmas > Highlords... I prefer the Amplify damage as it allows PI's and bosses to go down alot faster.
    8LL ring -> a ring with ML.
    Switch -> Harmony for the lvl 10 vigor.

Skills->
    Max strafe.
    Enough for a level 16 Multi-arrow.. Read the guide again and follow their advice their. Dont remember which level is ideal for a balance between mana chugging and arrows.
    1 guided arrow
    Enough softpoints for a lvl 8 Pierce.
    20 penetrate.
    20 Critical strike. (critical strike and Deadly strike doesn't mingel to well)
    Get the preq for valky, and decide for yourself i you want a level 17 one.

Vita -> nothing.
    Str -> enough for gear
    dex -> rest.

and Kijya was b4 me :C

4. droid

droid IncGamers Member

You need 95 IAS for best 7fpa breakpoint on MS/GA with 13+ Fanat on your Faith GMB. Come to think of it, I dont even know how you'd hit this while still using Fort+Razortail....20 ias gloves, 20 amulet, 45 helmet will leave you 10 short. You might be better off shooting for the 8FPA breakpoint at 48%(LoH + Andy's IAS or Giant Skull 2xIAS), and sticking with Fort and Razortail and Atma's for your amulet.

CS L16 is 65% chance to crit. Faith also has ITD, which is funny since you're going to be close to 95% chance to hit vs most monsters anyway....it REALLY wants you to hit every time :)

You either have to go Highlords+Reapers merc, if you want to hit 7FPA, or Atmas+Obedience/Pride, so you have at least one PI solution somewhere.

Also remember if you do want to go 7FPA, that you'll need to find a source of ML and LL, probably from a dual leech ring.

5. Kijya

Kijya IncGamers Member

Whoops, yeah, not that I forgot bp is 95, but missed to mention belt :whistling:

6. MrSmilez

Ok here is where i am atm.

clvl: 67

Helm: Rare 2 skills tiara
    Body: Trellised Armor
    Weapon: Kuko
    Belt: Nosferatu's
    Ring 1: Ravenfrost
    Ring 2: Rare 8ll ring
    Boots: N/A
    Gloves: Rare 2 skill, 20 ias
    Amulet: Highlords

Now that is my current setup. After reading the replies i know straight away that i wont be able to hit the 95 bp. I think 40/15 jewels are out of my reach atm. Also i have been told that i should switch to Atmas for the PI's. Oh and its just i see a lot of bowazons out there with Gaze's. I just need a 4os GMB and a 4os Archon plate now and i should be ok and aim for the 48% bp for now. Oh and @ Rawness what do you mean by "Get the preq for valky, and decide for yourself i you want a level 17 one. " Is valk a bad thing on my bow? Oh and thanx for all replies thus far.

Edit: Would it be viable just to stick 3 ias jewels or 3 Shaels in a 3os helm? Or will i suffer without the 40% extra damage. Also and why no points in vita? I have 80 or so already in vita.

7. MrSmilez

I've just completed some nice trades on the realms and i think i can afford a Pride. If i decide to get one would it work well?

8. ancalagon the black

ancalagon the black IncGamers Member

KB + strafe + pierce is really great crowd control. So good that you can (if you play her right) avoid getting hit in the first place. Valk + decoy also help with not getting hit. If you don't get hit, you don't need a lot of life, and dex points give you AR and %ED.

And Shaels in a hat will give you FHR, not IAS.

9. Virility

Virility IncGamers Member

If break points for IAS are so important then use a MB rather than a GmB. This will shift your damage to about +500-600 on the bottom and loose +800 or so on the top. You gain a faster attack. Faster attack means Atma's triggers, knockback at higher level areas more noticable, magic effects etc. become more effective as you hit things at a higher rate.

I have not been impressed with what a 3x 40/15 helm adds to damage. Anectodal switching and comparing and playing, the difference was not "overwhelming" versus Andy's socketed with a 40/15. If you are a numbers person I believe it added like 150 to 200 on the top end of either a GmB or a MB faith with 15 aura. I preferred the extra skills added to the passive tree. You may have a different perspective, but I was not impressed(faith, windforce) and regret having wasted the jewels. It now sits unused.

I am a lazy player. I have a hard time with the "target-click-kill" sequence. Strafe fits me perfectly. I get annoyed switching to Mulit shot in the CS even tho it is the skill of choice there(imo). Because I have such terrible clicky skills hitting everything in the area is vital to my survival. Attack rating for me=higher the better. The mentioned one point to Penetrate...eh dunno about that one.

Last comment is on vitality. One guide in the sticky list favored the number 100 before +items. Over the seasons that has been the number my characters literally live by for my physical damage set ups. I pad this further with whatever roll in a CTA for switch. I play 2 client games(good WS walkers are practically nonexistent in the west). Making up exp lost when your 90 something is a pain.

Hope you enjoy playing the new character.

10. droid

droid IncGamers Member

1) Shift+Click for MS is the way to go, no target locking required

2) No CtA for bowazons ever ever! grargh! 100 hard points in Vit seems a little high too, but not disgustingly so; just a little overcautious for softcore.

3) Bowazons make fine WSK runners even with low life and res. Gloams are extremely easy to dispatch if you make copious use of Decoy...not only will it keep their zappy beams directed away from you, but a Decoy nearby really pisses them off and triggers them into their (worthless) melee attack instead of their (nasty) ranged attack. Really, it's just the PI Witches in WSK3 that are the most dangerous.

The only time I ever die in WSK with my zon (recently respecced to Gunslinger) is right when I enter the Throne, when there's packs of Gloams (+ Witches sometimes) on both sides that get me caught in a crossfire before I can react.

11. frightgoat

frightgoat IncGamers Member

pride for merc

12. MrSmilez

Well i had everything going right for me. It took me several days to find the GMB and when i finally got it i decided to put the Faith in it straight away. As i put the Eld in i found out i got 12 fana. Well im screwed now as i wanted the darn 7fpa breakpoint. I feel like Charsi'ing it.

Edit: Forgot to ask..is this bow now completely useless?

13. KremBanan

KremBanan IncGamers Member

It is still VERY useable, its still a top end bow. You need 99IAS to reach the last bp, still doable, but I would reccomend the 50IAS bp instead. This means you can use Atma amulet and Razortail, which will increase you damage.