Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bow/Trap Assassin?

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by xtragedyxme, Apr 21, 2008.

1. xtragedyxme

xtragedyxme IncGamers Member

Bow/Trap Assassin?

Would creating an assassin who specializes in the Death Sentry Trap and attacking from far away with a bow be a good idea? This is my plan.

(* means it's just a prerequisite)

20 Fire Blast
    1 Shock Web *
    1 Charged Bolt Sentry *
    20 Lightning Sentry
    20 Death Sentry

1 Claw Mastery *
    1 Psychic Hammer *
    8 Burst of Speed
    1 Weapon Block *
    1 Cloak of Shadows
    5 Fade
    1 Shadow Warrior *
    5 Mind Blast
    10 Venom
    15 Shadow Master

Gear would mostly be centered around Increased Attack Speed Helm + Armor and a 3-socket Gothic Bow socketed with a Nef Rune, P Skull, and P Sapphire for knockback, leech, and cold damage. A set of +3 Shadow Disc claws for buffing. Maybe Frostburn gloves too for the mana increase.

Str 118
    Dex 118
    Vit Everything else
    Energy 50

What do you think? Is it a viable build?

And one final question, traps are laid down faster due to IAS and not Increased Casting Speed, correct?

2. synx

synx Diablo: IncGamers Member

Re: Bow/Trap Assassin?

Nef'd Widowmaker.

As for traps, yes they are affected by IAS.

3. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli IncGamers Member

It does sound like a good idea, but getting a high damage bow is paramount.

Check the stickied IAS thread, you get the fastest possible attack with any decent level of BoS, so you can focus your gear differently. I would also reshuffle your skills a little.
    1 point in Mindblast, the extra points are a little wasted given they only add stun duration and increase the chance to convert. Cloak should keep the monsters still anyway.
    Check the BoS tables, see if you need 8. If so, you probably don't need 5 in Fade. If you can find your IAS elsewhere, you only need 1 in BoS.

These points will probably free up enough to Max Venom. A handy little damage increase.

Laz

4. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

I think a Bowsin should always max Venom.

A cheap choice for a bow could be Harmony. An extra minion and rainbow damage are a nice addition and with a -10 base bow it shouldn't be too hard to get to at least penultimate breakpoints if you are set on using Fade. Or if you use BoS, you should reach the last BP rather easily and together with a level 10 Vigor you will have tremendous run speed.

I wouldn't look so much for crowd control on your bow, since with CoS and Mindblast you have more than you need.

The only problem might be hitting things, as your AR will be rather low with no +%AR modifiers. Gogo Demon Limb!

5. xtragedyxme

Would the runeword Stealth be useful at lower lvls? And what kind of armor should I put it in? Light to Medium? Or does it even matter?

6. synx

Light Plate.

90-107 Armor, requires 41 strength.

7. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Stealth is okish, but doesn't do really anthing to benefit your specific build. Doesn't matter what you put it in; you'll find a lot a more Tal's and Eth's than you can use.

8. improvius

improvius IncGamers Member

What about something like an upped Buriza with maybe a Jah? Go for max CB on the rest of your gear - Goblin Toes and Guillame's would give you 60. I know CB is halved on bows, but I think it would still get the job done. You'd have (nerfed) CB, physical damage, high lightning damage from traps, fire and physical from death sentry, poison damage from venom, freeze target to slow down the mobs, 100 pierce and ITD so you're hitting everything in front of you, and a smattering of cold damage just for fun. Sounds doable to me.

I just haven't checked the speed breakpoints so I don't know if you'd be able to get a reasonable attack rate.

9. xtragedyxme

Not to be a newbie or anything, but what does CB stand for?

10. improvius

Crushing Blow.

11. TheReadMenace

TheReadMenace IncGamers Member

I agree with going for high CB, but disagree with the Buriza. Cold attacks = shattering bodies, which is bad for DS. And if you're going to drop a Jah, why not go for a Faith bow? Saves you skill points from BoS, which can be placed more appropriately.

I'm creating my own Bow/Trap sin, but it's focusing on using the fire tree, mainly WoF. I plan on using Faith and Ice as my weapons at the moment, but we'll see how it works out. I also plan not to use any shadow minions... sketchy? Good luck to both of us!

12. improvius

How much difference is there between the cold damage on Ravenfrost and the cold on Buriza, in terms of shatters? I've always used Ravenfrost on my Assassins, and while the shatters are a bit annoying, they aren't frequent enough to pose a real problem. I assume Freeze Target will increase the chance of shatters, but by how much?

13. TheReadMenace

TheReadMenace IncGamers Member

I can't give you exact figures, but it has to do with the modifier Hit Freezes Target. A Ravenfrost adds cold damage and a chill effect, while the Buriza with HFT stops enemies dead in their tracks (right? Haven't used a Buriza on my MF Bowazon since I found a Hellrack). A chilled enemy is much less likely to shatter compared to a frozen one. A frozen enemy is tough to shatter as a ranged character, BUT your A2 merc along with a SM who both deal physical damage have a much higher chance of shattering.

If you want to go bow with knockback, consider an upped Kuko. It's got inate 50% pierce and knockback with the explosive arrows.

14. synx

You're all missing out, widowmaker is by far the best bow for non-zons.

15. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

It's the most boring choice at any rate, and certainly not the best choice in all cases (think Enchantress, Holy Fire Ranger).

16. synx

I would think that firing non-seeking arrows would be the most boring choice by far.

I also can't see how non-seeking arrows would be even semi-viable in any sort of pvp situation (unless you've got MS or Strafe...) or against anything other than a stationary target.

I keep a widowmaker on my zealer for s&gs while pubbing, great bow.

17. zarfen

zarfen IncGamers Member

CB is terrible with ranged attacks (*dreams of his 94% cb 1.07 amazon*)
    Go with venom and a fast bow. Don't use buriza (as stated) the hit freezes target is the real corpse shatter, not the cold dmg, plus buriza is fugly.

I made one of these once, but for pvp. The hard part is to make sure you maintain a respectable manapool (I could lay about 6 traps before my mana ran out :undecided:) while going bow dmg oriented.
    For pvm I'd suggest something else than widow, it's great and all, but not very fun or damaging.
    Also, if you use BoS you could utilize some of the slower bows, like eaglehorn(comes with itd and great AR for uniques, lets you boost traps on gear) or wf (gg dmg)

I would also neglect FB and max venom and dump the rest into some other shadow skill/trap synergy. you will not need and extra fire damage source with lightning, poison and physical working for you already.

And I though CB was more nerfed than 1/2 for ranged attks.

18. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

I don't think the OP was looking for a PvP build.

That's why Furysins stack so much of it. :tongue:

It's exactly half.