Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bow barb

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Jake_b74, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Jake_b74

Jake_b74 Diabloii.Net Member

Bow barb

I am going to Try and make a, Untwinked, Hardcore, bow barbarian, and get him threw act 5 hell. Many, many, and yes, many many people say it can not be done! But i am such a stubborn SOB, so i'm going to try it. I would like you guys to help me think up the rules.

This is what i have so far.

1. Only weapon allowed is a bow, or crossbow.

2. No importing allowed, unless it is exported from the bow barb, IE exporting gems, or runes for useing later. Exporting off the character to different stashes is allowed, but once out of the bow barb's stash. The item can not be brought back in.

3. Sheild, Would it be alright to use a sheild on the off hand, with no weapon in the hand. just for blocking when stuff get bad!?? (post your opinons)

4. No merc allowed?

It is late for me here, so this is just a thin outline of what i would be doing. I already made my bow barb, his name is "Saph".

I started the game, put /players 8 on and went out into the blood more with my birth weapon, which i used till i got my first bow. First bow

Then it was off killing stuff, untill i found the Den. There where a lot more flayed ones? (the little red guys). Then i expected. GO GO HOWL

Then it was off deeper into the cave, the zombies where gathering! But i did not fret, it only took on average 13 hits with my bow to kill one. Then i saw corpse fire he was no trouble at all! only 43 hits to bring down the beast. So i was running back to clean up the rest of the zombies, when a little something some dropped! (unique cap, sorry its hard to see it)

After i finished clearing the den i went to the cold planes, got my wp and went to town. Got a helpful jewel from the den, ah and of couse for the win. So this about wraps up my post, till people start answering. Oh and crossbows?

PS. anyone want to tell me how i could make my photos easy to see? aka BIGGER! Or do i half to edit the damn thing in paint or soemthing =\.

2. Crunchy Frog

Crunchy Frog Diabloii.Net Member

1. Agreed
    2. Agreed
    3. Nope; kind of defeats the purpose.
    4. Use a merc - you'll need all the help you can get. Act II Might is probably best.

Beyond that, two questions:

1. What is your planned skills distribution?
    2. Will Leap Attack be allowed for non-combat purposes (i.e. poor-man's teleport)?

3. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

For an untwinked bow barb, I would use either a rogue or a Blessed Aim merc. You need a good chance to hit.

4. Crunchy Frog

Perhaps I should have stated that I was assuming he'd be pumping Battle Cry. -**% to enemy defense at lvl 20 should solve his AR problems.

5. asdfgah

asdfgah Diabloii.Net Site Pal

At least a try can be done, and to jake_b74;

It was fun reading your report on it so far anyway and maybe i'll try an untwinked bow barb myself just to see how far i can get.

@jiansonz: why a rogue? :scratch:

Sounds like a good idea to me but don't you have to be really close to enemies to get affected by it?

-Asdfgah

6. TrubbaNot

TrubbaNot Diabloii.Net Member

I think it can be done. Keep us posted! What was that cap?

Re: crossbows -- I don't see why not.

7. Crunchy Frog

This may well be the case (long time since I played a Barb); however, I don't think he has a heck of lot of choice. Once his enemies are BC'ed, he can Leap Attack away, or use Grim Ward to keep them off his back.

P.S. I think jiansonz suggested a rogue for her Inner Sight casts.

8. DurfBarian

DurfBarian Diabloii.Net Member

Rogues can cast that Amazon skill* that makes things easy to hit.

* "Twinkly Enemy Heads" aka I forgot the name

9. Crunchy Frog

Biggin's Bonnet.

Me either.

10. asdfgah

asdfgah Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Oh right, that make sense.

Do you mean that your pictures get small when you take them or is it photobucket that makes them smaller? How do you take the pictures?

Myself i don't use the built-in screencapture function, I'm using "grabby", Adam's screen grabber, that is a good print screen tool IMO. (i always have it running when my computer is on ;))

11. Kawaii

Kawaii Diabloii.Net Member

Inner Sight

12. corax

corax Diabloii.Net Member

the 'cheesey' way. find one of the unique bows with fires exploding arrows and pick up as much fire damage as possible.

13. Crunchy Frog

I would call this "sensible" rather than "cheesey." A few other thoughts occur to me:

1. Prevent monster heal is a must.

2. Ditto crushing blow.

3. Expect to spend a lot of time gambling bows. Speed and elemental damage are probably better than raw physical damage.

More when I'm awake.

14. Liliel

Liliel Diabloii.Net Member

Demon Machine + Razortail works well on a ranged Enchantress, so perhaps it's something to consider.

15. whomhead

whomhead Diabloii.Net Member

Best of luck with the barb!

I'd consider War Cry as a pretty vital skill, assuming you have the skill points for it. I'd also reccomend getting a Blessed Aim merc. With a high slvl Shout and BO, he'll be a reasonably good tank.

16. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement Diabloii.Net Member

I think you are crazy, but I wish you the best of luck! I'll bet your bow barb makes it farther than my thrower, lol. :D

Dave

17. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

make him twinked i doubt that you will find the gear you NEED in order to kill anything good luck though ;)

18. Jake_b74

Jake_b74 Diabloii.Net Member

Wow i cant beleave all the imput i have gotten on this! Heh i just woke up about 40 minutes ago. Well i was thinking for skills. Max bo, shout, and iron skin. Thats all i got so far, and yeah leap attack for running away, ( or getting to?!). As for the rest of the skills, i dont know. I know as i was useing howl, i thought about my skill tree and found grim ward. So i will be getting that, if i get to that level. As for my merc, i dont know what ill be useing. Heh i only did the den on p8 last night, so thats as far as i got.

NO! that would be, just as hard since my assassin is only in act 3 nightmare with little gear. ill keep you guys updated, since i am job less, and the Magic tourny has not started, we will see how far i get. I'll besure and update every night.

19. whomhead

whomhead Diabloii.Net Member

I was thinking of making a Bow Barb a while back and figured a skill allocation kinda like this:

Battle Orders: 20
    War Cry: 20
    Shout: 20
    Natural Resists: ~4
    Battle Cry: 20
    Howl, Taunt, Battle Command, Increased Speed, Grim Ward, Find Potion, Find Item: 1

Max Shout last, since you should use your crowd control skills and your merc to make it so that you don't need that much defense. Shout is mostly for the merc, not you. I'd also revise my earlier reccomendation to get a Blessed Aim merc. Since you can have max Battle Cry, get a HF merc instead. No matter which one you get, you're going to kill slowly. A HF merc will just make it so the monsters kill more slowly as well.

Make sure to use Taunt and Howl to their best advantage. Taunt minions away from bosses so you can take them one at a time. Then War Cry when they get in range. The hardest fights will be normal Duriel and Hell Ancients. Good luck!

20. Llathias

Llathias Banned

from this nice Mangudai (bowbarb) guide :
    "Leap Attack cannot be used with a bow in hand, but Leap can be. Keep this in mind if you wish to jump around."

War Cry, as mentioned might be extremely useful in providing you stationary targets (also crowd control and safety).

Holy Freeze merc, also as mentioned, will also be extremely useful in providing you slow moving targets (and incredible safety).

i can't find any information about the range of Battle Cry, but unless it increases at higher levels, you gotta stand toe-to-toe for BC to affect the baddie. i use it only for act bosses with my WW barb.

your quest is very difficult. first of all, you're going to use Normal attack with no enhancing skill. second, it's very difficult to find a good bow (dmg is way too low without the amazon skills), though you should keep in mind the runewords (Melody/Zephyr). third, it's HC untwinked!!! Good luck and keep posting :thumbsup: