Both HDD and backup HDD have failed :(

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
ah dude that sucks :( I also make backup on a cloud server.
Let me know if you want any items or so when you feel you wanna continue, I have a lot I can spare.

hackedagainanda

Diabloii.Net Member
I have a bigger problem than that at the moment. A need a new computer and it will take a few months to save the money. To be honest I think I play too much and use the internet too often, a break might do me some good.

okey

Diabloii.Net Member
condolences. same thing occurred to me a year or so ago. I've since learned to game straight from usb stick what with the cheapness (8 gb / 4-5$ give or take), durability and portability of it. if you ever decide on getting back into the game, I recommend you do the same.

maxicek

Moderator Single Player
That completely sucks. Are they SSDs or HDDs? You may get some recovery if they are HDDs.
Why a new computer & not a SSD?

Babyhell

Diabloii.Net Member
Ouch... really sorry for that, having no PC to play may turn you Immortal... don't you guy have phone?

Joke set apart, it's a really bad news. Take care during this forced break, don't take the habit to play on phone, and yes - i'll buy a dedicated usb stick soon!

zemaj

Diabloii.Net Member
Ouch... that sucks, bro...

On usb sticks though, do be careful with those... I've had one "die" on me literally overnight, and couldn't even guess at how many the actual plug got damaged and are now useless....

okey

Diabloii.Net Member
probably one of those rare cases, though I do know that failures do increases if you don't safely disconnect though system tray (makes sense if you consider the computer still sending electricity into the stick)

alternatively, you can seta tasked schedule to backup your save folder to your usb and just treat the usb stick as a memory card of sorts. probably opt for this method now that I think about it.

more OT though, if you haven't tossed out your harddrive, I'm pretty sure you can recover your data; read this: https://lifehacker.com/how-to-recover-data-when-your-hard-drive-goes-belly-up-5982339

after reading that, refer to this:

WoRG

Diabloii.Net Member
Hang on, before you take extreme measures, you might want to check a few things!

Now, I don't know how much diagnostics you have done, if you've already tried all this unsuccessfully, then just ignore me but accept my condolences, data loss really sucks!

Just because the computer doesn't turn on, doesn't necessarily mean its fried, and even if it is fried, that doesn't automatically mean your harddrives got fragged too...

You said there was an electrical surge, and it may have just blown the power supply...obviously, if you've opened the case and there is fried circuitry or burnt wires, then you can skip this, but if there is no apparent damage, a new power supply might have you back up and running quickly.

Even if the motherboard is fried, the drives might be ok...I know you said you checked them with a laptop, but if these were internal SATA drives, the laptop probably didn't have the proper connections...I'd check them in a desktop running the same OS as your old rig if possible, before trying anything extreme...

If your backup drive was external, then it also may have suffered a power supply failure (PSUs are designed to fail with extreme surges, hopefully before the components plugged into them get fried, it doesn't always work, but sometimes it does and its worth checking out)

WoRG

hackedagainanda

Diabloii.Net Member
Good news and bad news, bad news is they are fried. Good news is I have a new computer ☺ and Riemann the frost/fire paladin is going strong farming normal.

I dipped into my savings and bought a black Friday deal laptop with an SSD and took the forums advice and have been saving my files to a portable usb drive + e-mailing myself the d2s files so they are floating around the interwebs.

It's actually been nice starting fresh untwinked hc.

Thanks for being such an awesome forum!

Glad I'm back in the game.

Babyhell

Diabloii.Net Member
I guess a zip/compressed version of the GoMule folder could be kept on the interwebs too ;)

Edit: oh and welcome back btw :p