Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

BotD vs. Doom

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Kaffe, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Kaffe

Kaffe IncGamers Member

BotD vs. Doom

Making small convince myself thread. Going to quickly weigh out all factors with the two runewords. The fact that I don't have either one yet will also play into consideration. Because price is an issue...

Since the barb in question is a hybrid, and based on PvP usage. That play a part too.

I'm assuming base weapon is a Berserker Axe.

Doom (Hel + Ohm + Um + Lo + Cham)
    5% Chance To Cast Level 18 Volcano On Striking
    Level 12 Holy Freeze Aura When Equipped
    +2 To All Skills
    +45 Increased Attack Speed
    +280-320% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    -57% To Enemy Cold Resistance
    20% Deadly Strike
    25% Chance of Open Wounds
    Prevent Monster Heal
    Freezes Target
    Requirements -20%

First off. The Holy Freeze aura can't really be measured in damage, ar or anything. It's just too great to be true.

The 45% IAS helps usover the 2nd BP for WW. With potentially 320% ED it's almost as good as a new cruel.

The 20% DS and 25% OW is also great. Especially in conjunction with Highlord's and Gore Rider's. Then our DS can reach respectable amounts and by far outweigh the critical on skills.

The +2 skills also gives us a small help with AR. It boosts masteries and Whirlwind, and passives. Not by much but some.

Breath of the Dying - (Vex + Hel + El + Eld + Zod + Eth)
    50% Chance To Cast Level 20 Poison Nova When You Kill An Enemy
    Indestructible
    +60% Increased Attack Speed
    +350-400% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    +200% Damage To Undead
    -25% Target Defense
    +50 To Attack Rating
    +50 To Attack Rating Against Undead
    7% Mana Stolen Per Hit
    12-15% Life Stolen Per Hit (varies)
    Prevent Monster Heal
    +30 To All Attributes
    +1 To Light Radius
    Requirements -20%

Upsides here are 60% IAS. Which really helps swing speed. But, since 40% is quite enough with prefered throwing gear it's a bit over the top. I'm not sure about the WW BPs but I doubt 60% let's us meet any new ones. The +30 All attribues is a damn nice bonus.

But, as we're talking Hybrid, these can be a little bit in the way. They don't help us pump vita or damage, since the switch need a certain amount dexterity. I'm pretty sure I'll meet all these requirements either way. But basicly, BotD adds stats, and doesn't help too boost them to meet reqs.

The Dual Leech is also great. Taking care of that, we can get a slight mana leech from a pair of crafted gloves, for the javs. Heck I might even aim to get a bit of mana leech from the javs.

Another important issue is the -25% defense, and a slight AR bonus of +50. Not to mention the 350-400% ED which by far puts outweighs a good rare.

So, to summarize, on few critical notes:
    Stats: Botd wins, but, it's probably not a nessecary addition
    IAS: Both weapons have sufficient IAS
    Damage capacity: BotD wins here. It can easily be made in an ethereal. It gets at least 350% ED. BUT, 20% DS, 25% OW, with other sources accounted for can turn out to be a lot. To get twice damage almost each hit, can it outweight BotD?
    AR: BotD again. 50 AR, and -25% Defense. Question is, will it be needed...? Sure it's a nice addition, but Dual throw can reach respectable AR. And so can WW, in the end.
    Leech: BotD again
    Off-skills: Doom wins big time here. But, is it really worth it. Again, we have a switch involved which might ruin things for us. -57% cold res might help us too. A bit at least, if we include a raven, and perhaps a charm or too with some extra cold damage. And obviously Holy Freeze now deals slight damage.

What about price? Well. A ready made BotD at Europe was rated at roughly 3 high runes. It includes Vex, Zod and an Ethereal Berserker Axe as the most expensive items. Eth. zerkers are relatively expensive, for being an ethereal weapon that is...

A Doom, involves Cham, Ohm, Um and Lo. Four pretty high runes. Um and Lo are fairly cheap. Ohm isn't that expensive. Cham is however. And at top of that, instead of a plain, or 6-socketed ethereal zerker, one will need a 5-socketed one. An item which would be quite rare...

So. in the end most of it still talks for BotD. Anyone have some input at this?

2. Garoke

Garoke IncGamers Member

Kaffe are you swedish and used to play hc? :)

3. Kaffe

Kaffe IncGamers Member

Yeah. And I think I know you too. You had a barb called NP-Garoke :p.

4. Asheron

Asheron IncGamers Member

I still prefer BotD ,although I've seen a 5 socket etheral Zerker with that Zod glitch for trade on west...if you had that it'd definately be some hella sweet weap. :uhhuh:

BotD is just personal preference though,go with whichever you like best.

5. royalsego

royalsego IncGamers Member

did you really have to quote him? i mean... u are the first reply...

6. Kaffe

Kaffe IncGamers Member

Hey, don't blame my old friends here. I'm sure he just wanted the attention...

7. royalsego

royalsego IncGamers Member

oh attention... i see, i see

8. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

i agree with you that doom and its holy freeze aura can give BoTD a run for its money. I have a pally that uses it and he does well compared to botd zerker ones. They beat him for killing speed, but that holy freeze coupled with draculs life tap makes me nearly unkillable.

remember if you bring a doom into a pvp game you will likely be hated

9. Kaffe

Kaffe IncGamers Member

My build will be a league based one. So most probably I'll be suffering from restrictions for using it. 20% PDR limit. However, since it's a Hybrid I have a bit of a loop-hole. I only have 50% PDR ½ of the time. Most likely I will use Dual Throw vs. all classes except fast-paced melee, like sins and pallys and other WW barbs.

I should probably go for a BotD I guess. I have most of the funds for it (Zod and all the runes except Vex).

10. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Arreat Summit lists doom as + 330-370% ED, so i don't know where you got the +280-320% figure.

11. Kaffe

Kaffe IncGamers Member

Diabloii.net acctually. But those figures are still based on the Beta. So it might be 330-370 then :).

12. Neurofuzzy

Neurofuzzy IncGamers Member

dont forget that the holy freeze aura can be easily counterd in PvP by the usage of a Ravenfrost ring.

13. Dabadonut

Dabadonut Banned

Unfortunately Ravenfrost doesn't stop a holy freeze aura. ;) Which I believe has been said before, you would most likely be hated in PvP.

14. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

i think dii.nets listing doesnt include the dmg bonus from the ohm rune. same with stone armour the def bonus from pul isnt included in the listed +% def

15. Kaffe

Kaffe IncGamers Member

Ok. I'm guessing a 5-socketed Superior BA is cheaper than an ethereal BA, and not to mention a superior one...

Btw, it says Doom works in Axes/Polearms/Hammers. Would hammers in this case include Flail type weapons? If so, a Superior Scourge shouldn't cost a shirt, and would be very competitive to a Berserker Axe. It has Range 3 and an average of 41.5 vs. the average of 47.5 Avg on a BA and 45 on a 1H col. Blade.

I also ignored Beast totally. But a Fanatisism aura, Grizzly Charges, OW, 40 str. bonus and Crushing blow. Nice one perhaps?

16. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

Hammers do not include flai/scourge types. Only Legendary Mallet (cannot have more than 4) and 2-hand maces: Ogre Maul & Thunder Maul.

17. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

It's a bit easier to get a 6 socket berserker axe over a 5 socket one though, and the big upside to BotD is that you can make it in an ethereal weapon, which gives it that HUGE ethereal bonus (which applies before other damage mods, making it much more important). Doom likewise costs a good deal to repair as well.

Not saying that Doom isn't a great weapon, of course, though BotD definately stands a bit taller.

-Hal

18. StrikexForce

StrikexForce IncGamers Member

doom is very nice but i agree with hal, botd is better.

19. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

me too. i don't think it's a really fair comparison though. beast, on the other hand, with fanaticism aura's stats stacked, would.

20. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

given that doom slows enemy movement I don't think it would fare well at all in BvB since holy freeze has always been a nightmare against whirlwind

as for beast, I really like beast, but with max attack speed capped at 9 frames it kind of seems a waste on barbs, imho

and halceit nailed it with the potential for eth BotD