BOTD: Thunder Maul or Cryptic Axe

JettJagwar

Diabloii.Net Member
BOTD: Thunder Maul or Cryptic Axe

my /f list has been empty for a few weeks, so i took a break. my first day back i decided that my main fury wolf is going to switch from tomb reaver (non eth) to an ethereal Breath of the Dying weapon. i have the runes, (well, i had an Ohm drop which i planned on trading for a Vex) and after one night of searching for a decent base I came across two decent candidates:

an eth thunder maul and an eth cryptic axe.

i know the maul has less range and is slightly slower, but i m banking on the base max damage being 1000+ and the cryptic axe may only be (high) 900 something. am i making a big deal out of nothing ? should i take range over max dmg ? would it be better to take another day or so to search for a different base ? i havent socketed either so i would appreciate some feedback.

Eilo Rytyj

Diabloii.Net Member
Cryptic Axe has 5 max sockets, so you can't make EBotD in it.

A Great Poleaxe is genereally accepted as the best for a wolfy, better than a Thunder Maul due to it's better range and speed, and easier requirements. Higher speed means you'll be dealing essentially the same or more damage/second, and more range is always good.

JettJagwar

Diabloii.Net Member
ok then, i ll keep looking... like i said, i didnt socket either so i ll try for a great poleaxe.

are there any other base items that i should consider ?

Indemaijinj

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, yes and no.

You could argue that the Champion Axe could be a suggestion, but you'll be looking at both a sharp range decrease as well as a damage decrease in return for a bit of speed and a very slight reduction in requirements.

It will also be severely less tradeable if you decide to get rid of it.

Bjam

Diabloii.Net Member
Use a Great Poleaxe for the weapon. Also, please don't trade a legit high rune for one that is likely duped. If at all possible, try to trade something else of value for it. Legit high runes are so rare that it'd be a shame to trade it...that's just my opinion though.

NewForumBloke

Diabloii.Net Member
IIRC legit hr's on the forums here usually can get 2 hrs for them... or at least over the 1:1 ratio. Im also throwing my 2 cents in on the ebotd Great Poleaxe. Also, for that tombreaver, if you do get the GPA you might want to just drop that all together since, imo, the mods on it are best when its eth and in a duel. Course, if you socketed it well (i think it needs 30 ias to hit the last fury bp) you could do sheal+sheal+amn and i suppose it wouldnt be too bad, but the GPA will do SOOOOO much more for you in pvm :grin:

-BLoke :smug:

JettJagwar

Diabloii.Net Member
off topic... i was under the impression that all u need to do is sell / buy back a duped rune or socket it and you dont have to worry about it poofing. i wasnt going to trade the Ohm until i was ready to drop the runes into the weapon. i went to bed early last night, still hunting for ethereal base items.

akamaru

Diabloii.Net Member
quick question i have both a non eth 1 soc tombreaver and a non eth great poleaxe now should i socket the non eth great poleaxe and make ebotd or just use the non eth tombreaver? oh im pvp wolfy

Lyrs

Diabloii.Net Member
Why not try a eBotD Archon Staff? Super low (18str req) for high consistent dmg at 5fpa Fury.

quick question i have both a non eth 1 soc tombreaver and a non eth great poleaxe now should i socket the non eth great poleaxe and make ebotd or just use the non eth tombreaver? oh im pvp wolfy
Eth Tombs is a great weapon. For the eth, use Zod + 2x shael or something else so long as it reaches the 4fpa.

For nonEth, Lo + 2x Shael works just fine.

psych

Diabloii.Net Member
His tombreaver only has 1 socket

akamaru I would use the tombreaver untill you can get your hands on an eth GPA

JettJagwar

Diabloii.Net Member
my thread has officially been hijacked.

yeah so, i ll keep looking for a GPA...

unless someone thinks i should make eternity in the cryptic axe.

PhatTrumpet

Diabloii.Net Member
unless someone thinks i should make eternity in the cryptic axe.
No IAS = no thx.
akamaru said:
... now should i socket the non eth great poleaxe and make ebotd...
That's a contradiction. The runeword is 'Breath of the Dying', i.e. 'BotD'. The 'e' at the beginning means ethereal, so you can't make a non-ethereal weapon into 'eBotD'. Furthermore, you shouldn't make 'BotD' in a non eth weapon because it completely wastes the indestructible property of the runeword.

xpumafangx

Diabloii.Net Member
Why not try a eBotD Archon Staff? Super low (18str req) for high consistent dmg at 5fpa Fury.

Eth Tombs is a great weapon. For the eth, use Zod + 2x shael or something else so long as it reaches the 4fpa.

For nonEth, Lo + 2x Shael works just fine.
Arcon staff ebotd weapons are very cool. But really hard to get. They are perfect for a base str build. Other then that they dont have the range. Style points if you own one!

JettJagwar

Diabloii.Net Member
war spike dmg is @ 25% lower than a berserker axe, the requirements are about the same.

thnx to those that stayed on topic, i gave up on looking for great poleaxe and socketed the thundermaul. the str req lowered itself from 243 to 193 (thnx hel rune) which is not too bad, and the max damage was 1300 (13k equipped).