Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Botd.. overrated?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by S50, Mar 28, 2004.

1. S50

S50 IncGamers Member

Botd.. overrated?

My friend told me about his barbs dmg to be only 4.3k WW. I seriously expected like 7-9k because he uses Eth Botd Cb with Steel rend and the whole deal. However, why I think is overrated is because other than the lacking of a shield and lower defence, my IK barb can do more damage. I use a few + max/ar charms and some storms sc but should not make too much difference. Is Eth Botd CB the best?

Also I want to ask for 2h (pole) vs 1h (s/s) barbs effiency in pvp and pvm. I want to mf worldstone keep. Right now I do pit, pindle and most of everything with my IK barb and never been happier. However, I came across worldstone keep in baal runs and I see barbs ww through them, tele through them, I wonder how to get that kind of resist and how do you do vs those souls and skellys (unleechables).

2. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

your friends barb likely has low str build, which focuses on life. your IK barb has so much more str, which adds 1% dmg per lvl. I prefer 1 hand s/s barbs for pvp and pvm, but pvm only a pole barb is pretty good.

3. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

i've had side-by-side comparisions, and the botd s/s barbs are better than my dual sword cb barbs and my ik barbs.

better in that they leech more faster (i do around 800-1200 damage with my non-ik builds.)

so, while we kill at the same rate, they can whirl "harder" (stone skin, huge elemental damage) mobs.

4. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

even if the weapon only had the ed and the ias but none of the other stats, botd woud still be godly.

5. jbeast

jbeast Banned

Yup, look at it. Take away the mods and leave IAS and ED and you have the most godly 09 dueling item ever. Looks a lot like a CCBoQ huh? Only Etheral.

6. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

looks like a legalized ith to me...(grumbles)

7. Kaffe

Kaffe IncGamers Member

IK barbs would also do more damage because mauls gets a higher damage bonus from strength than other weapons...

For very 100 strength it gets a 110% Bonus.

BotD is however, probably, the greatest one-hand weapon around.

And as another note, Colossus Blade is a waste. Berserker axe has all the advantages: Higher average damage and higher 1H-damage (24-71 vs. 25-65, slightly faster WSM (0 vs. 5), Lower Reqs (138 / 59 vs. 189 / 100) and the same range. Only thing that talks against the berserker axe is that it's roughly half the durability. But as we're talking ethereal indestructibles here...

BotD is however slightly overrated when it comes to other classes. Paladins for instance could now benefit from an ethereal highlord's, upgraded and zod:ed and get a 100% deadly strike right there (almost at least). Not to mention ethereal b.star, might be a waste to zod one of those, but then again it will last if you do :p.

BotD is a godly item, one should just consider the cost and time it takes to aquire one, in comparison to the price. GF is still doable for ordinary PvM. And new rare cruels can spawn with quite some mods.

8. Superhal

1. actually oger mauls have very low damage but high average damage. the base phys on the ik maul is only @300. compared to a cruel warpike (@600), the additional .1 str bonus is almost negligible. don't be fooled by the elemental damage on it. while substantial, it is not multiplied by stats. so, if you add it all up, ik does @1.1k base total damage, but it is an inferior wep. thunder mauls, on the other hand, have the highest average damage in the game, thus the .1 does make a difference.

2. also, it is a 1h wep with all the limitations. 2h swords can be wielded 1h or 2h, and 2h swords are held to the 1h breakpoints for barbs, even if wielded 2h. in other words, swords offer the greatest flexibility, if not the most raw damage (unless wielded 2h, in which case the col blade does hold up with the top weps in the game.)

9. wisedoor

wisedoor IncGamers Member

Hmmmm
    I was thinking...
    a barb with 2 swords attacks only 50% more than a barb with one sword...
    so while the one sword deals 2 attacks, the 2 swords deal 3 attacks... so, in the paper, using a 2handed weapon sounds better (most 2hnd weapons are balanced to deal 2 times damage of 1hnd.
    but with a +max damage setup and lots of max damage charms that are applied straight before %ed from skills, a dual sword would slowly become more powerfull.
    My question is
    With a max damage setup, can a dual sword barb be more powerfull than a similar barb using one weapon with 2 hands?

10. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

BotD is over hyped, not over rated...it is the best pure damage dealing weapon in the game, besides a few rares.

This not not make it the best weapon in every case...druids for example

11. Kaffe

Kaffe IncGamers Member

1) I don't have an idea on the stats on IK maul (really). I just pointed out the fact that you gain 110% ED for each 100 str when using Mauls. Naturally, that should be higher than a barb with 200 str and using a sword. Unless the ED on that weapon is a lot higher than the Mauls.

2) Depending on what we're talking here, I have to disagree here. First off, if it's strictly PvP you don't want to loose the shield. Really. Storm is probably among the top choices, and it's bonuses are far too superior to just skip it for the extra damage. Vs. Casters that might be valid, but personally I've always prefered they Hybrid approach to this one. Sorcs (well anyone know a days who has Enigma) always had weak spot when it came to 4.5 frames Dual Throw. It's also debatable whether you really need the extra damage vs. casters, since you can simply run up and zerk them. 5K+ zerk damage should do the trick...

So, as long as the shield remains on, and we're talking PvP Berserkers is better.

For PvM, or just the style of it, the Col. Blade has all the pros. But as a one-hander it should always loose towards a berserker. At least statisticly speaking.

12. Superhal

actually, the longer the whirls vs a group, the closer and closer 2 1h gets to 100% more attacks than 1 wep. for the first 8 frames vs 2 or more mobs, it is exactly 50%. see the "ww discussion" thread.

yes.

13. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

I agree with killfrenzy about the ITH thing. Blizzard saw the hordes of ITH items in 1.09 and this was their screwed up answer. That and the sad part seems to be that a whirlwind barb requires such a runeword for consistent killing in high player games.

14. l2aider1

l2aider1 IncGamers Member

If I see the "this is their answer to ith" one more time post I'm just going to shout some very profane things. This is not their answer to ith rather a necessary item to compensate for the increase of monster hitpoints and reduce in leech. There are also rares that are alot godlier then this runeword, so are these too their answer to ith? No their the new ccboqs. Blizzard could care less about iths. In fact they dont' care about the pvp scene at all. If you want to get technical raising the hitpoints of all the monsters in the game and adding synergies was their asnwer to iths. Why do I say that? Cuz blizzard couldn't give a flying **** about pvp if so they would have balanced it a little better.

15. Perfect_11.

Perfect_11. IncGamers Member

well, after all plus's of botd cb being said, I belive BA owns it not only for the reasons mentioned. I have used both, and the awesome-ness of the BA is you can switch out the ss for an aura wep. Well, my barb is a little spoiled, i sold everything i had for barb items plus a lil indulgence (such as HotO and CtA on switch instead of 2 wc weps). I can switch out ss for a doom zerker (awesome vs smiters) or for a beast (bear!!!!!) i could even do doom+beast. Doom plus beast gives 50% open wounds and then with dracs+gores 85%, which lets you play more like a ww asn. I would love to add to my collection of BA's, a fury zerker, but i dont got the funds right now. So in all, for those who counter with the fact that u can 2h the cb, well u can grab another BA, so imo BA>CB, and plus i think the cb looks too unrealistic =P

16. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

BoTD was not necessary to the game. period. i solo-ed hell easily without one. Hell i killed baal with my old 09 ww sword barb armed with a doombringer without dying once. Plus i had oblivion knights wisps and claw vipers running rampant. Hell should be hard to solo in high player games. The only thing is blizzard was overly generous with casters, and gave them the power to solo 8 player games with good, but not top-line items. BoTD is blizzards answer to the squealing hordes of 09 cookie cutter builders that without their overpowered skills and hacked items probably couldnt handle 09, let alone 1.10!

i think BoTD was made to cater to 09s ebay buying, arrogant, 100% dependant on their items, "i am teh 1337" morons. It almost leads me to formulate conspiracy theories on why blizzard never shut down the d2 department of ebay

17. xtc_sazabi

xtc_sazabi IncGamers Member

hmm i think the reason Blizzard hasn't tried to stop Ebay sellers is this:

If you are buying items from ebay, you'll want to use them won't you? right. Next, you will want to play the game, and not waste your money. If you are playing LOD/D2, then you are NOT playing a competitor's game. Ebay keeps people hooked on D2, and since no one likes to waste money, as long as they keep buying, they'll keep playing.

18. StrikexForce

StrikexForce IncGamers Member

botd is the best however i think doom is a close 2nd