Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

BOTD Hydra Bow or Colossus Bow... which is better?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Snarlin Stef, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Snarlin Stef

Snarlin Stef IncGamers Member

BOTD Hydra Bow or Colossus Bow... which is better?

BOTD... is it worth making a BOTD bow ?
    there is no such thing as an Ethreal bow?

does BOTD make a godly bow or am I just better off with WF?

please advise
    stef

2. importpsycho

importpsycho IncGamers Member

i'm not sure how BOTD bow compares to WF .. well since no body uses bow anymore
    I know for sure there is no such a thing as ethereal bow
    WF is so cheap nowadays, BOTD bow is a waste of runes, unless it's increably better than WF, i doubt it

3. gtechman

gtechman IncGamers Member

What about Call to Arms runeword? I have 5 socket Sup Crusader bow I'm holding.

4. Freyas

Freyas IncGamers Member

I'd recommend saving your BOTD runes for a different weapon. It will make a nice bow, but it is much nicer when you can make it in a bigger ethereal weapon such as a colossus blade or zerker axe. Despite the much higher ED, the low damage on bows makes it so +max damage on windforce has a greater effect than the ed on BOTD.

If you're choosing between a WF and a BOTD bow, I'd recommend just sticking with windforce.

5. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

Unles your an eccentric rich guy, go with WF.

6. gtechman

No one has mentioned Call to Arms (CTA) runeword. Is it no good in a Crusader??

7. achillesx

achillesx IncGamers Member

Sorry I'm such a newb, but I have to ask... What is a 'BOTD' weapon? I've seen this term so many times but never found a definition... thanks all!

8. xaresiusx

xaresiusx IncGamers Member

BOTD is Breath of the Dying runeword, arguably the best for melee weapons and I would imagine it's alright for bows. I don't think I'd waste the runeword on a Hydra Bow, because you don't get knockback on it. That's about the only downside I see. Personally, I use Mavina's Caster or Lycander Aim, socketed with nef runes for knockback. If you're a die hard bowazon, and you're not really worried about the crowd control, I'd suggest putting BOTD on a hydra bow, if not, stick with Windforce or Lycander's.

9. sir goatscelot

sir goatscelot IncGamers Member

Windforce is the most dmging bow in the game no if's and's or but's. This has been asked, been answered, been tested before. Please look at the forum before posting. There's a ton of good info here. If you must use botd in bow,(which cannot spawn ethereal = no dmg bonus), the best overall bow is a crusader bow. Have fun.

10. tl998

tl998 Banned

Windforce is cheap? When the heck did that happen? Exactly how cheap are we talking about? Can I get one for like an Arm of King Leoric or something along those lines?

11. Mehemnoc

Mehemnoc IncGamers Member

Well, I think "cheap" is inaccurate. It is less expensive than it used to be, by far. But you're still going to have to pay for it. I'm not sure about the trade value.
    With regards to the BOTD vs. Windforce, if physical damage is king, then I'd agree WF is better. But my preliminary testing favors the BOTD. It's faster (without additional ias on other gear) and has so many great mods (ed, ias; +30 to all attributes is nothing to thumb your nose at, and 50% chance of high lvl [18? 20?] poison nova on each kill helps with the monsters creeping up on you. I'm going to spend more time with both on my newer multishot zon before I make my final decision.

As for Call to Arms, I believe Kirsty has declared it one of the best or perhaps the best runeword for a bow (I'm too lazy to check the thread right now). I haven't had the opportunity to try that one yet.

12. Aldragon

Aldragon IncGamers Member

FORGET ABOUT BOTD HYDRA
    MAKE a Hand of JUSTICE MAT bow good for PVM and also
    PVP. 16 holy fire when equiped mine is 322 ed its also itd and many mods more
    If you are on east w xx999xx if you wanna test it
    ALDRAGON

13. brackk

brackk IncGamers Member

CTA fits in a mat or grand matron bow so it would be foolish to give up 3 bow skills to put CTA in an crusader or hydra.

14. JohnsonHoward

JohnsonHoward IncGamers Member

yeah i wish mat bows have 6 sockets tho.
    wf does the most dmg at lvl 99. but a BOTD hydra/crusader grants insane IAS compare any of the elite bows xcept unique ward - - low dmg - -
    to me, attack speed is the essence of bowazon. no matter how fast ur enemy can come close to u in a duel, if ur bow fires like a machine gun, with some knockback, he/she will lay the face down without even seeing which bow did use. but of course, that's gonna cost u some resist with that high ias.
    it's worth a try imo

howie

15. jwfcp

jwfcp IncGamers Member

i agree with aldragon the hand is the way to go. botd pretty much leeches, 60 ias and has 350ish ed. the 30 attributes get on my nerves b/c its either 30 more str or 30 worth of med charms or i cant use my weap switch. the nova radius should never poison a critter if you are playing right and it doesnt have vital mods that the hand has.

freezes target, 20% deadly strike, blinds target and ignores defense. the shorter rune word opens up so many more bow choices too. i went with a gorgon xbow, why? because lower rate of fire and higher dmg = less leech req for even more mf.

now call to arms aint bad but its only advantage is prevent monster heal. but thats in exchange for blinding the target. come to think of it wild witch does have 2 sockets, sur i think it was...

16. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

yea I just found a +3 grand matron bow w/ 5 sockets from a pit run :D I have to make a CtA in it.... but I still need ohm lol

yea, Hand of Justice is nice too. I personally like CtA better tho: just max pen, have lava gouts on (gogo lvl 10 enchant) and some decent charms and you'll have few AR problems.

--fatty

17. gtechman

Well, if anyone is interested, I have a 5 socket Sup Crusader Bow. It's 8% ed I believe. Would make a nice Call to Arms.