Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

BOTD Axe question

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by ahcw, Feb 17, 2004.

1. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

BOTD Axe question

Hi everyone i'm looking to make BOTD out of an eth 2-handed axe. Now I believe the only 2 you can make it out of are Champion and Glorious. Now i don't think the Glorious axe will hit the final breakpoint, but it does have more damage. My question is simply what would be the better choice here. Also if you could tell me about what the damage of these 2 wpns would be I'd be grateful.

2. cainc5

cainc5 IncGamers Member

Champion Axe
    59 to 94 (76.5 Avg) range3 base speed -10

Glorious Axe
    60 to 124 (92 Avg) range4 base speed +10

I have done some research, ethereal weaps give 50% more base damage so this would be eth botd damages
    Champion Axe 400%: 442 to 705 (573.5 avg) third bp ... 6 hits per WW
    Glorious Axe 400%: 450 to 930 (690 avg) second bp ... 6 hits per WW

as you can see, speed does not make any difference because the different ranges. Therefore the best choice would be Glorious Axe (even without last bp) because it has really bigger damage ^^
    I hope I were helpful, any errors, plz let us know :)

ps. 3rd breakpoint is -65 right? ~~

3. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

3rd breakpoint is -60. I'm sorry to ask but how again does the glorius axe have the same amount of hits per ww if it doesn't hit the final breakpoint? If it does then wow i will totally use the glorious, but i just want to make sure before i do.

4. cainc5

cainc5 IncGamers Member

Glorious got range 4 while Champion got 3 (based on arreat summit's)

Since the number o WW hits are based on Range + #BP, both BOTD axes will have the same amount of hits per WW. Glorious range 4 + 2nd BP = 6 hits | Champion range 3 + 3rd BP = 6 hits

;)

5. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

Wow thx I never knew that range made a difference. Could you leave the formula for range + speed here for me so i could calculate other wpns. Thx again for all your help.

edit: I'm kind of stupid now that I look at your post above. Looks like it's range + whatever breakpoint you hit. If it's different than this let me know otherwise ignore the above question lol.

6. cainc5

cainc5 IncGamers Member

This formula is just for WW hit on a single monster/character.

You take the Range of the weapon + its WW breakpoint
    which are:
    -10 -35 for 1 handed weapons and all sword
    -10 -30 -60 for 2 handed weapons
    Note that these are not ias amounts. These are the weapon speeds. i.e: -10 would equal a Mythical Sword with 10 ias, since their normal Weapon speed is 0.
    and remember (repeating is never enough), only weapon IAS count for WW!

ie: BOTD Great Poleaxe would have 8 hits - range 5 + 3 break points
    prefix War Pike of quickness with 2x Shaels (80% ias) would also have 8 hits
    BOTD war pikes do only 7 hits, because its base speed is 20
    so the best spear for eth BOTD would be Ghost Spear (base speed 0) 8 hits ^^

7. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

Wow man you sure are a helpful guy lol. Thx for all the info and if I ever need any questions answered that are barb related, i'll know where to go :).

8. greenfire10

greenfire10 Banned

WAIT WAIT

there are some things that are forgetten here.....

i don't know if this is for PvP or PvM, but it really matters in any case.

in PvM moost often you will be fighting groups, so the above calculation doens't work really well. the number of hits as calculated above is against a single non moving target. and in groups there are way more targets. the real difference in that case is wheter you will be hitting at 4 or 5 frames per hit.

also for PvP, as long as you stay in range (and range IS important) you will be hitting at this number of frames per attack.

so aldough you would do the same # of hits per wirl, your wirl would take longer to complete.

say if you wirl for say 10 seconds, in one case you would do less dmg per hit, but MORE hits, while in the other you hit harder but less.

up to you to decide which one to take, dmg wise you could calculate which is better, but remember that evertime that you hit you stun (hit recovery) as well, which is a big advantage of hitting fast.

9. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

This is for pvm, sorry. I'm not sure if i totally understand what you are saying here. But ya all i need to know is which is better for pvm.