Bot?

Carne_DelMuerto

Diabloii.Net Member
Bot?

Howdy all,

I'm relatively new to bnet and have been reading these forums voraciously for info/strategy. I've seen multiple posts mentioning "bots" and how they are usually associated with cheating or spamming a chat channel. In DAoC, a bot was an extra character (usually not played) used for buffs, but obviously not the case here. What exactly is a "bot" in D2x and how does it work? I'm not looking to use one or anything (I abhor cheating..what's the point, really?), just hoping to understand the references better. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Btw, I've got a low level Druid on USWest Ladder and am about to start act 2 normal. If you see Carne_DelMuerto hosting a game, please join and learn me a few things. :teeth:

innorton38

Diabloii.Net Member
there are spambots too which are programed chars who quickly enter random games and advertise for sites that sell items and then leave. They are universally abhorred.

Basically a "bot" is any kind of program created to make a character repeatedly perform an action automatically without direct control by the creator/downloader. This was my understanding at least.

Carne_DelMuerto

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the info. I don't understand how a bot could actually play the game, but I'm not too tech savvy so I'll just take that on faith.