Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Boss Zero Drop Odds?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by skoolbus, Jun 3, 2008.

1. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

Boss Zero Drop Odds?

Wondering what the chance of duriel dropping nothing is because I just got this. It was norm and p1. At least I could tp out if I needed to...

Can other bosses drop as wonderful as this as well?

Thanks.

2. Insane Wayne

Insane Wayne IncGamers Member

Re: Boss Zero Drop Odds?

The only reason you got the TP is because it's guaranteed! (Because if you forgot to bring a portal, you could be trapped! Some kind of potential exiting bug...) That drop is tragic, but also hilarious. How can you not laugh? :badteeth:

I've seen and heard of it happening before, but it's still pretty rare.

3. bladejj

bladejj IncGamers Member

I remember hearing that it has something to do with the exact spot on the map where he died. In his lair, there on some buggy squares which act as black holes for his drop. Can someone please clarify?

That or it's just really bad luck. The first time I ever killed Baal I only received a Super healing potion and pile of gold. I'm sure if I dug deep enough I could find the screen shot. O ya and it was on players 8.

4. skoolbus

The tp is always the highlight of his drops anyway.:rolleyes:

I didn't know about these void squares. I'm willing to bet it was one of those because he was in the middle (so it wasn't a wall or something eating them).

5. Ohomemgrande

Ohomemgrande IncGamers Member

I believe it goes something like this:

1. Duriel always drops the Town Portal Scroll
    2. Duriel then gets 7 picks in his Treasure Class. But, I think the rule is he can only drop 6 items total so he'd could only drop 5 additional items.
    3. For each drop at P1, there is a 19/41 chance of "nodrop" for the quest kill or a 19/67 for non-quest kill.

Therefore, to get only a town portal, the chance would be (19/41)^7 = ~0.5% or (19/67)^7 = ~0.02%

Then again, I could be wrong...(and I don't know about any "empty" spots)

6. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

You are right (didn't check the exact numbers), but you are right with the number of drops. It's possible and I don't believe in bugged squares when tp scroll dropped.

7. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

Ohememgrande is precisely right with his numbers (I do a bit of modding, so I have plenty of copies of the text files lying around). I find it interesting that Duriel has a better chance to drop nothing with his quest drop. Then again, on his quest drop, he won't drop gold, arrows, bolts, keys, scrolls (other than the guaranteed one) or potions, which take up a good slice (26/67) of the odds for his non quest drop.

8. skoolbus

Is it possible for any boss to drop nothing? What are the other boss's chance for the nodrop?

9. muzzz

muzzz IncGamers Member

Other act bosses don't have any forced drops, so they can theoretically drop nothing at all. The odds are similar to what homem posted.

I've seen stuff like this (and a few more ironic drops) relatively often on /p1. But the odds drop spectacularly on /p3. A screenie of /p3 Meppy dropping absolutely nothing should be about as rare as a perfect Tyrael's.

10. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

I seem to remember getting skunked by Baal on /p1, but my thinking at the time was that he was too close to the edge of the platform and couldn't drop (like killing a flying monster in the Arcane Sancuary when it is in the "space" areas). Of course, I haven't had any coffee or breakfast yet...

11. bladejj

bladejj IncGamers Member

I could have sworn that I recall hearing about Duriels bugged chamber squares, but if no one else even remotely heard of it then I must question my sanity.

12. moo-cow

moo-cow IncGamers Member

I seem to recall people saying that Duriel's lair, if you kill him where he first spawns, will drop his loot into a black hole. I'm pretty sure I've killed some bosses too near a wall or edge and had the loot fall off the side. This is my personal theory for why the World Stone Chamber has those safety edges, they don't want any adventurers jumping after their loot.