Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Boss immunities

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by JamesMartigo, Mar 7, 2004.

1. JamesMartigo

JamesMartigo IncGamers Member

Boss immunities

A small question about the immunities on unique monsters: aside from being cold/fire/lightning enchanted, which makes them more resistent to said elemental attacks, do they also have a chance to an elemental immunity? I know that PI can appear on any boss, but I don't recall seeing immune to magic and immune to poison on monsters that didn't have this immunity from scratch. Can anybody tell me any more?

2. farting bob

farting bob Banned

well in hell, any unique can spawn with immunties, up to 2. magic is very rare, but ive seen it on uniques. its not dependant on base monster immunties, although if somethign ios immune, then the unique will have that as 1 of its 2 immunties.

3. Liter Soul

Liter Soul IncGamers Member

Also, with increased hell resistances and 'Enchanted' resistances, I think that an 'Enchanted' unique will often times become 'Immune' simply because of how high their resistance goes.

4. flosch

flosch IncGamers Member

Seems to be the same for Stone Skin / Physical Immune...

5. JamesMartigo

Is stone skin 'physical resist'? Also, what is 'magic resistant'? Is that resist to elemental magics, or just to magic (like berzerk, blessed hammer and bone spear)?

6. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

7. moi

moi IncGamers Member

yes, it is based on the base monster type's immunities. the boss inherits all of the immunities and resistances of the base monstertype. the mods of the boss can then serve to increase those resistances and add additional immunity. Note regardless of the mods, there will never be more than two immunities on a boss unless the base monster type had 3+ immunities; there is a cap on this.

8. factotum

factotum IncGamers Member

The resistances offered by mods add to any which are native to the boss, and if they come to 100% or greater the boss becomes immune. For this reason it's possible to encounter Immune bosses a lot earlier in the game than you might think--for example, I once (and fortunately only once!) encountered a Stone Skin cloud of midges in the Maggot Lair in Normal difficulty, and since they natively have some Physical Resistance that boss was Physical Immune! Comes as a shock to encounter one that early in the game...

9. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Factotum: Bishibosh is the first immune monster you'll ever see. He's Magic Resistant and Fire Enchanted: Fire Immunity.

10. JamesMartigo

Thanks shade. I read that a while back, but forgot exactly what it said about stone skin and magic resistant, but I did remember correctly that they didn't state which additional immunities could spawn on a boss.
    By the way, while magic resistant is actually elemental resistant, magic immune has nothing to do with elemental magic, right? I remember encountering a Guardian mummy which was magic immune and physical immune, and it was almost impossible to kill with my barbarian, even with berzerk.

11. Chaldan

Chaldan IncGamers Member

Magic immune refers to magic damage (not elemental) from skills such as Berserk, Bone Spear etc. "Magic resistant" on bosses, on the other hand, gives elemental resists (iirc) .

Thanks Blizzard for making confusing descriptions! /irony