Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Born Again Christians

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Geeno, May 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Born Again Christians

Why haven't we ever discussed them here?

I wasn't aware of them really until I met my best friend, who is the son of a pastor and soon enough his entire church.

There's a lot of them, and they're really devoted people. I've attended many of their gatherings and events. From all the people I have met there is a definate profile of older (original) BAC, almost all of them had horrible problems when they were younger and instead of blaming themselves for their actions... they attribute it to a lack of christ in their life.

That isnt really so bad though. What gets tricky is when they go to church at least 4 times a week, and donate large portions of their income (typically around 30%) to the church. This church is very wealthy. With a very strong following.

I remember a local newspaper reporting that a NY BAC group made one of, if not the largest, contributions to the Bush campaign.

I think we'll be living in the Born Again States of America in about 10 to 15 years.

2. JesusFreaksRock

JesusFreaksRock IncGamers Member

I dont know where you are getting some of this information. There are many younger people that concider themselves "Born Again" although really that term should apply to all people that belive that Christ died for their sins.
    There are also many people that dont have the wild stories of how their life was changed. Like me i was raised in a church and have become more imvolved with a campus ministry while at college and now after.

As for donating money to "The Church" yes most Born again (boy i hate that term) groups do support their ministries with a sizable percent of their income 10%-20% in most cases. However, most of these movements are far from raking in massive ammounts of cash ( except for the mega churches that get most of the publicity and those are another story)

3. myleftfoot

myleftfoot IncGamers Member

I suppose because they made the decision themselves they have a much stronger support for it, compared with the average Christian/Catholic that is pushed into it by their parents.

4. Namyeknom

Namyeknom IncGamers Member

I knew it, I saw this thread and thought it'd get another argument started. Its been a while since somebody insulted a particular faith or racial group (I'm not saying anyone has yet, but its bound to happen).

So ladies and gentlemen, its best of ten rounds, no holds barred, no posting below the belt, and may the best poster win...

5. myleftfoot

interesting point of view on this topic.

6. Namyeknom

Namyeknom IncGamers Member

OK, I admit, a bit irrelevant.

If you want a point of view, every born again christian I've ever met has been a perfectly decent person, and while I can't understand their religious belief (or anyones for that matter, my brain can't process it) it gives them something so its fair enough...

7. myleftfoot

Is that the first blow ;)

8. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

Try not to take this the wrong way, but the "born again" "Jesus Freak" hyper-evangelical types kinda creep out us less fervent types.

I mean I can respect that they’ve got their own philosophy to live by and follow, but the thing that gets me is the refusal to listen to outside ideas, the intolerance for those in disagreement, and the firm belief that the government should make their set of morals law and impose them on everyone.

They make me just as nervous as the fundamentalist Muslims that react the same way. Fundamentalists make everyone else who subscribes to that religion look bad.

That scares me.

9. JesusFreaksRock

JesusFreaksRock IncGamers Member

you will notice that i mentioned that i dont like the term "born again" and that is why. people can be scared or intimidated by some of the terms and things that have been added to a very simple message of salvation (there is another one of those terms) (lmk if you want to talk about this more privatly). That Christ died to pay the price of our sins allowing God to remain true to His law and still reconcile with mans imperfect nature.

and with your second part you mean to say extremests not Fundamentalists. There is a difference i would concider myself a Fundamentalist christian however not really an extremest.

10. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

anything extreme is scary... is it religion, politics, punks, nazis... if i had my way i d shoot em all to the moon :uhhuh: no wait, that was extreme

11. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Extremism scares me.

I worked with a BAC once, at a coffee shop, and listened dumbfounded as he explained to me his understanding of things.

"I know that I could strike you down right now, Rick, I could take this knife and murder you with it, but I wouldn't make it past that door. The moment I stepped outside, God would strike me down in my tracks with a bolt of lightning and I would be on my way to eternal damnation."

Needless to say, I was a wee bit creeped out.

That said, not every BAC I've ever met was an extremist. My Confirmation sponsor was a BAC, and I didn't realize it until I was much older. He's probably one of the most devout Catholics I've ever met, but not to the point of being extreme (more extreme than I am/was, but that isn't saying much).

Then again, our President is a BAC...

12. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I don't like 'em

all they do is talk about how 'bad' they used to be instead of how 'good' they are now

13. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

I command my puppet Freet to lock this thread. Nothing good will come of it, and it is going downhill fast.

Garbad

14. Ash Housewares

don't be one a those

15. Garbad_the_Weak

Sorry, my bleating hippie heart doesn't like it when groups get stereotyped and stigmatized. This converstation could possibly go on without crossing the line, but it isn't headed in that direction and it smells fishy as it is.

I would no more tolerate this thread than I would a thread talking about why blacks are extremist and inferior. Or why germans are. Or why republicans are. And so on.

Garbad

16. Ash Housewares

no the puppet thing, it's lame

17. Garbad_the_Weak

O_O - You approve of my hippie behavior!?! <3

Garbad

18. Ash Housewares

whats the point of owning a hippie whomping club in a world without hippies?

19. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

You mean Republicans are people too? :scratch:

For the record, my anecdote wasn't meant as a stereotype, and I felt that the individual in question was probably an outlier, if you will. At any rate, yeah.

Oh, and the fishy smell is Ash. Just ignore it, you get used to it after a while.

20. Ash Housewares

*whomp whomp whomp*

:bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.