Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bored...need advice on new char to make...off the wall prefered. d

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by diablo loves donutz, Sep 28, 2006.

1. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz IncGamers Member

Bored...need advice on new char to make...off the wall prefered.

Hey guys. Well, I'm kind of bored right now and I guess I'm going to start a new char. I'm not a big fan on doing cookie cutter builds, so I was hoping you guys could help me decide or come up with some good off the wall builds. Now when I say, "Off the wall", I mean a viable and able to have fun with build...not an inferno sorc or something way off the richter scale...like a moulten boulder druid lol. Some possible ideas I had were:

Ninja assassin-I'd focus souly on the blade skills (The trap ones) and shadow disciplines. I've made one with Tiger Strike and Dragon Talon before that was a blast and I think this would be fun too.

An electric assassin-Pretty much I'd use Claws of Thunder, IMO the coolest of the charge up skills, with a finisher and some shadow disciplines.

Fire druid-Not so much, off the wall, but after doing a MB druid, I'd like to maybe give a fire druid who gets to use all of the fire skills a try. I'd also throw in a few summons.

Spearer Zealer-funny name, but for some reason I thought of how cool it would be for a pally to use zeal, but with a spear (not a polearm).

Poizon-thought it might be cool to make a zon using the poison skills in the jav and spear tree.

So, these are the ideas I have and I'm just wondering what you guys thought of them and if you have any others please feel free to share them with us. Well...I hope you guys can sway me in the right direction.

Thanks again

-Donutz

P.S-I'd like this char to be HC, just in case you guys wanted to know or help make a decision.

2. sawm

sawm IncGamers Member

Enchantress =)

3. trihero

trihero IncGamers Member

Phoenix strike assassin! Blade assassins and trap assassins are common enough, mass more phoenix strike! Just thunder claws is too easy =P

Dim vision necro + poison dagger/other poison skills!

4. cade88

cade88 IncGamers Member

a golem mancer could work max golem mastery and max clay golem with a thorns merc or something

5. trihero

trihero IncGamers Member

I'm of the opinion that investing into golems sucks. The clay one is good for slowing things, but everyone else deals too little damage, dies too fast, costs too much (either life, or item, or lots of mana). I cheated up a necro with 20 in all skills and the golems were suffering on normal mode o_O that's with 100 points of synergies into other golems/resists/mastery!

6. soul killer

soul killer Banned

Bear Sorc.
    GG every1

7. cade88

cade88 IncGamers Member

well the point would be to kill things with the thorns merc and see everyone die hitting the golem would probably be fun to try

8. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

Poison jav. amazon is probably too "overpowered" for you. They kill all non PIs with a cracked jav.

As for an off the wall build-- join a tourney!

9. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

Off the wall?
    Hmm not totaly off the wall but not cutter either is a cold asn BoI main attack.
    Or a totaly converting pally, conversion main skill instead of a back up.
    Could do a return damage druid there best at it really though unless you could get runes for a bramble you wouldnt make it past mid Nm prob but very fun. Though a return damage hunter is one of my fav. builds and since you dont have to totaly depend on returned damage, its hell viable. Thats my ideas though.

10. IronCrown

IronCrown IncGamers Member

Now how you feel after that tourny, cannot focus on my usual characters.

How about a summoner druid, who lets his summons & merc do the killing. Aparently you can finish hell that way (guide in the druid forum). Sounds not 2 bad, started mine last night

IC

11. NacRuno

NacRuno IncGamers Site Pal

Do a fire druid, or convert your boulder druid into fire druid :grin:, i couldn't play with mine for a while but i will finish NM as soon as i can and than continue to play hell with some twinking. But i was planning this from the start and did my skill distrubition with that in mind.

Or try a cleric paladin (max holy bolt & snergies), inflict HUGE dmg to undead but be a healer sidekick for your merc for other monsters. :scratch: I have one currently, only in normal Act2 right now though. But i am eager to see how he will progress...

A tri-elementalist sorc would be another challenge, I am planning to do a firewall/thunderstrom/frozen orb sorc for over a year but couldn't find the time to start her yet.

Trapper assassin's would be easy, but they require a totaly different controling than other chars. You may have fun with one of them.

Hunter druid seems to be another entertaining build. I will build one sometime for sure.

A bone necro for PvM would be interesting.

Just choose one, lots to try :wink3:

12. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

- 2 handed enchantress
    - Meleemancer
    - Warrior Monk Assassin (Guide in 'sin forums - 20 DT, 20 Venom, 20 DS & 17 Shadow master)

Or a themed build - pick a character from a fovourite film or book and try to shoe-horn it into a D2 build. I saw an idea for a Darth Vader posted in the Necro forum IIRC.

13. Dark Matter

Dark Matter IncGamers Member

If you have gear for twinking you could roll a Palazon Battlemaid.

14. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

I've been wanting to make a Taunt Barb, and an Abbot for some time now. Both are said to be nearly invulnerable characters designed by SSoG. Taunt barb hits level 35-47 taunt and adds in a bit of DR gear to negate both ability for opponents to hit because of AR penalty of taunt and their ability to do damage because of the damage reduction from the skill and gear.

For the Abbot you'd need to be running runeword mod. He's essentially a highly regenerative pali that runs cleansing and meditation from insight with max prayer while wearing DR gear and 95% res from gaurdian angel to set the damage taken lower than the life regeneration speed.

15. Timinator

Timinator IncGamers Member

avengersorc

get a kingslayer, max all 3 masteries, dont touch normal sorc "killing skills" rest in static and buffs etc

melee and very different to a venger pally

16. yiuman

yiuman IncGamers Member

Charge pally or leap attack barb. Both do insane damage and so are viable but still take real skill to use.

17. druidkid9

druidkid9 IncGamers Member

fishy zons are fun so is a kicker and a charger.

18. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

Hey Donutz whatever you decide let us know I'm kinda curious on wich direction you chose,(choose).

19. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz IncGamers Member

LOL, I'm really having a hard time choosing...for one I'm still swamped with ideas, and two, I don't want to pick one person's idea and make everyone feel as though they've been snubbed...hmm I think this calls for something bigger...maybe a poll thread in the works or something...

20. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Abbotts are cheaper, easier, more durable, and more fun IMO. They're actually extremely powerful characters, while Taunters are strictly deviant material (not much protection from elemental attacks, needs really expensive gear, requires a lot of practice to get the taunting down, very slow playstyle).

Abbotts really are practically unkillable. I've parked him in the WSK and went to make a sandwich before (surrounded by a mixed mob of about 20 Gloams, Horror Mages, and those guys that Shenk turns into suicide bombers). You name it, and he can tank it- often without even seeing his red orb drop.

Anyway, I've built a TON of deviant characters, and here's my recommended list (one for each character class), ordered from most powerful to least powerful-

#1- Abbott Paladin- Max prayer, and put 1 point in Cleansing, the rest of your points devoted to a killing skill of your choice, or into the single-resist auras to boost your max resists. Run Cleansing as your primary aura and equip an Insight runeword for crazy regeneration. All of your gear should focus on either Resists, +skills, or PDR. By the end of the game, you should have 80+ PDR, 85%+ resist fire/lightning (with 75% resist cold), and +5-10 skills. An uber-powerful setup will have 100+ PDR, 95% resist all, and +10 or more skills. After that, you pretty much can't be killed unless you try.

#2- Kodiak Druid- A Werebear using Hunger as his primary attack. Equip a superfast weapon (Champion Axes and Giant Threshers can hit 4 frames per attack with 80% on-weapon and 10% off-weapon IAS, or a Shael'd Azurewrath hits 5 fpa and is DEADLY with this build. The rest of your gear should be devoted to Crushing Blow and Elemental Damage. Hunger reduces your physical damage, so you won't be dealing as much damage per hit... but the idea is that you're hitting so quickly that it doesn't matter. You're like a melee machine-gun. One of the very best boss killers in the entire game, and he has up to 160% dual leech going at all times. Nasty good.

#3- Throwbarb- Leap is the most underrated skill in the game. Not leap attack, just plain old leap. Invest 10+ points and then use it to knockback everything on the screen. Fire off a couple of throws between leaps (while everything is still in hit recovery), or else let your merc take care of things. Outside of Lightning Enchanted monsters and Beetles, good Leap tactics will make you pretty much unkillable, and since you're throwing, it doesn't matter how far you knock everybody back.

#4- Tankazon- Nothing but passives. Lots of D/A/E/Decoy/Valk for defense, Inner Sight or Penetrate to boost your chance to hit (I prefer IS, personally), and Critical Strike for damage. Ignore Pierce. Grab the biggest, fattest two-handed weapon you can find and just whack stuff with it. You can go 1-handed with a shield, but unless you're wielding a dagger or a javelin, you'll have the slowest blocking speed in the entire game, so unless it has 60+% FBR, fuhgeddaboudit. In fact, an Amazon with a 1-handed swinging weapon (such as a sword) and a 60% FBR shield will still block slower than ANY OTHER CHARACTER IN THE GAME except for a Necro or a Druid- and remember, this is WITH 60% block rate, compared to other characters with 0% block rate.

#5- Psionic Assassin- Kills with the power of her mind. Only allowed to use the Shadow Tree, Blade Sentinel, and Blade Shield (i.e. skills that require the power of the mind rather than any physical ability). Not allowed to use physical attacks of any kind. She has trouble killing things (Shadow Warrior/Master tend to be her main killing skills), but Mind Blast, Psychic Hammer, and Cloak of Shadows provide such ridiculously powerful crowd control (and Fade provides such ridiculous defensive power) that this girl's actually 100% hell viable, especially if you really practice using Psychic Hammer, one of the best one-point-wonders in the entire game. Seriously, the Hammer really is the secret to this build- it's a scouting tool, it's a boss immobilizer (knockback), it's a defensive device (if you shift-click it on your feet, any monster who comes near you will get knocked back), it's a veritable swiss-army knife.

#6- Enchantress- Not really a deviant build, since there are so many, but a very tough build to beat Hell with, especially if you go melee. There are enough guides out there for them that I'm not really going to get into details.

#7- Meleemancer. The ultimate deviant character, since no class is less suited for a particular activity than a Necromancer is for meleeing. My favorite versions use 2-handed weapons for extra crazy style points. There are several routes you can go- the best one is probably the Bonemancer, who maxes Bone Wall and Bone Prison and wields an Oath Scourge (ethereal if possible). The Prison/Wall synergize the ctc Bone Spirit on Oath, which gives you decent damage... and since Scourges are range 3, you can cast a prison or wall and poke monsters through the bars (which is incredibly safe). Lots of other options exist, but none of them are easy- if you can reach Guardian with a Meleemancer, you can reach Guardian with anything.

Fire me a PM if you want additional details, suggestions, or stories about any of the seven character classes, or if you want even more suggestions.