Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

bored, i am.

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Superhal, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

bored, i am.

i get bored around level ** (used to be 90 in .09). the fun part for me is watching them grow. around **, the gains start becoming glacial.

i love that period @level 30-70 in nm, when you can level every few minutes and see your char grow and improve. around level 80 though baalruns get boring.

i also love building a char around a particular item, but once i get that item, it's never as good as it is on paper. so far, i've done this for an eaglehorn zon and an ik barb.

my quest now is to find a build that is fun through lvl 99. in .09, that would have been my hybrid LF/MS zon, who i took to level 92. the .10 version is seriously lacking though.

builds i have tried:
    hammerdin: basically a melee char. you have to kiss monsters to hit them. i didn't come here to kiss a$$, i came here to kick it.
    2 tree sorcs: no power.
    single tree sorcs: worthless solo.
    ww barbs: Gimme a B! Gimme an O! Gimme a T! gimme...a break. too many phys immunes and stoneskins. i hate stoneskins.
    LF/MS/GA/FA zon: weak. maybe if i had better eq...but there is none! best bow now is a BotD col crossbow. ugh.
    strafeazon: eaglehorn was an utter disappointment. nextdelay stinks, but i need 120 more ias to hit it.
    ik barb: promising, if i had the jewelry to round him out. again though, phys immunes and stoneskins are a pain.
    hybrid ce/revive/poison necro: slow.

so, i appeal to you people to help me:

1. what build is fun to play all the way through 99?

2. when i get bored, i need a build that can go anywhere and kill anything.

3. speed. tp or high faster run/walk needs to be a part of this build.

2. Backdoor Bandit

Backdoor Bandit IncGamers Member

First off: Reaching lvl 99 in 1.10 is quite an achievement. From lvl 90 onwards it can take you months, depending on how much you play. I very much doubt there is a build that remains fun until the end, since most builds are completed around lvl 80. I.E. You have all you skills maxed and the gear you proposed beforehand.

You need serious patience to reach that top level.

3. Superhal

well, it's not the goal, it's the path i'm concerned with. if it takes months, if it's fun months, that's good. if it takes a painfully boring week, then forget it.

i hope to spend my time:
    1. gambling, thus earning some serious cash either selling or finding items.

2. helping other people quest, to go to areas i don't often go to.

3. having some goal i can complete in a day (total clear of an area, for example.)

4. Some repetitive runs, but not for hours on end.

5. other fun things you folks suggest.

i do not want to:

1. help people mule.

2. rush. (well maybe sometimes. if i get goodies. :))

3. waste time in the trade rooms.

4. play boring characters.

4. ToXin

ToXin IncGamers Member

wind druid? phoenix stike assassin are pretty fun w/ full nat set

5. Superhal

wind druid is a possibility, as i have aldur's set with 2 X maces (was gonna save for a frenzy barb, but damage is far too low.) this way, i can have the full set on the switch as well.

but, what difference is there with just another sorc?

i have quite a bit of assy eq too, but i've never played them. i have 2X bartucs, nat's helm/boots/armor, and a ton of godly or near godly assy circlets (dual leech, 20-30 str, all res, etc. for some reason, i always find druid/assy/necro circlets.) also some +2 assy/ias crafted gloves.

but, i just don't understand the finishing move thing. i don't understand what you get during which # attack whether you use a normal move or finishing move. a trapper would also be another sorc. the blade skills seems more my style, but when i recently saw blade sentinel and the throwing star thing, i was unimpressed. i also don't understand the kicking deal.

i'm sure i can get the answers here or elsewhere, but it's just too complicated for me. :(

6. MocTeru

MocTeru IncGamers Member

Well, i have found myself in a similar mindframe a number of times in my Diablo 2 career. You seem to prefer building the character moreso than creating the "uber cookie-cutter char that pwns". I share the same passion for building different characters and watching them advance and grow. Hopefully, my advice will give you some ideas that will help you fix your boredom problem and remain a D2 player.

Try building an unconventional character. Sounds simple right?

Firstly its not as simple as it sounds, and secondly it has kept ME personally playing Diablo 2 for a number of years.

With the coming of version 1.10 and all the changes it has brought along with it, virtually ANY character build can be perfected until it is "viable" in eight player games.

Your first goal is to come to a decision about what type of character you prefer the most over any other (Ranged/Melee/Elemental or Magic). Then pick a class, any class, that is suitable for that type. :scratch:

After those two things are done, comes the fun part. Creating a quality character with an unconventional build of your own design isnt as tough as it seems thanks to the wide array of options available in 1.10 in terms of skill selections. Try your BEST to create a character you think would be interesting, and NOT a character from a guide that you can follow to a T.

Its mostly about trial and error after the class and "build type" are selected. I mean in all reality, some characters will not be what you expected or to your liking and therefore you KNOW that you dont like that character or its build.

DONT GIVE UP though.

It is not uncommon for me to remake one of my character upwards of five times before i am satisfied with the outcome. Watching the build become perfected, the character grow in its abilities, and seeing the final outcome is deeply satisfying. To me, at least. Not to mention the satisfaction when all those "max damage cookie-cutter one-dimensional" characters that run rampart on Battle.net praise you for your build idea and the quality of your character. THAT is satisfaction. :worship:

Believe me, i know how frustrating it is to level a character past 90. Its time consuming and alot of the time the gains are insignificant compared to the time spent. BUT, thats why achieving lvl 99 has become a real accomplishment again in 1.10. It takes WORK.

To answer your question about a character that is fun all the way to 99 and beyond, it gets a bit more complicated. Cookie-cutter characters are fun until the build is complete: Usually around lvls 80-90. Oddly enough, most cookie-cutter characters are also SHELVED or deleted once the build is complete. Then they become just another character that has a thousand or more clones of itself, doing non-stop Baal runs to try to achieve level 99.

Break the mold, create your OWN build and character.

If, after that, you still stop enjoying your character once the build is "complete": Just build a character, level him/her to 85, do their sockets/hellforges, then DELETE them and start over. :lol:

7. Superhal

yep, i find that happening to me alot, mostly in .10. in .09, i continued to play my chars even though they stopped gaining levels, especially my mf barb.

the problem though with unconventional builds is that they are unconventional because they aren't powerful. conventional builds become common because they are powerful. once in a while, a build comes along that is unconventional and powerful (titan barbs, dexazons, curse necros) but there aren't many.

i do have some builds that can do hellforge in under 24 hours (mostly sorc because of tport) so it's a "been there, done that" kind of thing for me, which is why i want something that can last.

somebody talked about their pally that is good for every situation, i want something like that.

8. gods_pawn

gods_pawn Banned

have you considered a poison/summoning hybrid necro, or even a bonemancer?

how about a pure warcry barb - they are freakin fun, survive anywhere, but sadly need insanely powerful gear to be really really strong, but if you're leveling to 99, you're going to be playing A LOT, and finding such gear won't be as hard.

also, paladin avengers are fun, and live for a long while, with good resists.

or make one up. :thumbsup: :idea:

9. kuza

kuza IncGamers Member

my pure blizzard sorc is pretty damn strong and with a nice merc he can do any area. Health stealing cold imunes take a while but you can static+telekenisis them to death whiel your merc works on them.

My javazon does great with LF, and switch too a wraithflite or balrog spear for LIs. If you get a cold casting merc then you've got Light/physical/cold attacks all in one char. And your lvl 25 valk will tear down the house, and she's cheap to ressurect, since it only costs mana :)

10. MocTeru

MocTeru IncGamers Member

Well Superhal, i seem to have misjudged your intent.

It looks like you do want a cookie-cutter character thats IS "uber powerful".

News flash for you: No cookie cutter character is anymore fun to play to lvl 99 than any other. Either pick one and be bored because the character build itself is boring, or change your viewpoint about powerful builds vs. ORIGINAL builds.

To me, the thought that because the character cant do this or that in under 24 hours is simply put, childish. If youre here trying to find ways to make Diablo 2 interesting for you again you may want to reconsider why youre becoming bored in the first place rather than try to gather up some ideas for builds that are just like all the rest...

:sleep: "Overstated, Overplayed, and Overrated" :sleep:

11. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

Boredom...

I'm kind of at that point too where Im running out of builds I want to play. I think the best thing to do is to just take a break from LOD and play something else. Give it a little time and the game will be fresh and fun again.

(Now, if only Halo 2, Half Life 2, Doom 3 can come to my rescue...)

12. Xoranix

Xoranix IncGamers Member

I'm having a lot of fun right now with my level 81 Necromancer. He uses revive, amplify damage, fire golem, and bone spirit.

It's fun to have an army of revives with amp dmg cast and a fire golem. It can get pretty exciting, especially if your revives die out before you can get new ones. I love it because I am constantly aware of what is happening EVERYWHERE on the screen. You have to be aware of three (and maybe 4) things:

1. What is going on around YOU.
    2. The status of your fire golem.
    3. The status of your revives.
    4. (optional) The status of your merc.

It's really neat, because it's a build which is focused more on the character's surrounding support rather than the character himself. Keeps me very busy and occupied.

I don't have much mf (only 41), but I don't play for mf. I play for having fun. This build is always fun because of those three (or four) points.

13. Superhal

heh, well it seems as though you are misjudging me more and more.

1. I want a strong character, yes. But what is strength? To some, it is killing x in y amount of time. To me, it is being effective. Effective doesn't mean killing dclone, but having an effect on any possible mob at any given time. For example, any barb build can kill any mob in the game using any of their combat skills or zerk, which is why single tree sorcs, although 2 or 3X stronger than any possible barb, are not effective.

2. I want a flexible character. Right now, that means baalruns, helping people quest, ability to move quickly, and fun. I currently have 1 necro, 4 sorcs, 4 barbs, 1 pally, and 1 zon over level 70, 3 of them over 85, and 1 is 90. Some are strong, some are flexible, none are fun.

3. I hardly know anything (at least in comparision) of classes other than sorcs, zons and barbs, than what i've seen in parties, and i'm not impressed. So, i'm appealing here to people who know the other classes to make suggestions.

4. I'm also working with a lack of uber eq. I'm sure a doom/beast/enigma barb would be very close to what i am looking for, but i don't have these items, nor particularly want them.

14. MocTeru

MocTeru IncGamers Member

Good-For-Everything Pally Build

After considering your desire for a paladin build that is an all-in-one sort of character and remains enjoyable to play to 99 and beyond, i have decided to put forth a build you might enjoy.

I am NOT a fan of writing guides so that my characters can be copied. I will NOT go into specific details about my paladin build. Hopefully though, with a little testing and fine-tuning, you will find this build just as enjoyable to play as i do.

A warning first: This build is one of the more "expensive" to complete. The gear required is not your run of the mill stuff. Do not expect to have shabby gear and have alot of fun with this build, because without the right setup, this build is not very powerful.

This build is a paladin based around the "Beast" runeword. My original intentions when building this character was to neutralize the melee paladins dependance on Fanaticism. "Beast" takes care of that for the most part. You may ask, "Why not just make a Zealot without fanat?". Well simply put i have played a number of paladin builds including those who use Conviction/Vengeance, Zeal/(Insert any aura here), FoH, etc etc etc. None of those measure up to the pure killing speed of a Zeal/Fanaticism paladin. This build comes very close to meeting that mark if not passing it.

So, i figured i would make a "Beast" caddy and try to base a build around that one item. So far, i have been very pleased with the results.

The key to this type of paladin is to utilize the "Beast" runeword to maximum potential. That means taking advantage of the decent physical damage, the Fanaticism aura, and the ability to basically double your hitpoints and add more to your physical damage with the Werebear skill.

However, there is a single shortcoming of using "Beast", on a paladin, in this manner. As a Werebear you can not, i repeat can not, use any combat skills the paladin usually has available to him.

In hindsight, i dont even see this as a shortcoming, but ill get to that in a second. :surprise:

Basically, this build spends ZERO points in the paladin combat tree other than points spent in Holy Shield. As a Werebear, you cant use them anyway, so why spend points on them.

My paladin uses a very high defense "Exile" shield, a very high defense "Stone" armor, and the "Beast" caddy. He is, as of right now, in his 80s in lvl. His main offensive aura is one that gives pure elemental damage. You can probably figure that out without me having to state it. :uhhuh:

With this build i have had no problems soloing 8 player hell games. He has only died a few times and those times were attributed to very odd circumstances. Souls, Maiden, Death Lords, Elemental/Physical damage rarely put a dent in his health globe. He is a fabulous Tank, has tons of offensive firepower in the form of physical/elemental damage PER ATTACK, has great speed, and overall is the most enjoyable character i have played in version 1.10.

As far as the specifics in defense, attack rating, stats go; use common sense when placing stat points. Strength should be fairly high to wear some high defense armor. Dexterity is pretty important since you will not receive any attack rating bonus from combat skills. Vitality is they main statistic of this build, however, put as many points as possible there. Energy, of course, leave it at base.

Back to the attack rating issue. Yes, you will have attack rating problems in PVP/Duels. As far as in PvM, ive yet to have any attack rating problems that were so detrimental to the build that its not "powerful". Try to use things that boost your attack rating and/or dexterity to counteract the problem. Charms and such go a long way to improving your "chance to hit ratio".

Damage reduction and high life leech are also pivotal in the success of this build. With "Exile", the life tap will usually always provide you with enough health to NEVER have to use potions. However, using Draculs Grasp in conjunction will ensure your surivial even more.

High Physical+Elemental damage, Superior Defense (shield block + 30k or more defense), Very High health points, the ability to save usually 40 skill points in the combat tree (no Zeal/Vengeance/Synergies), and the ability to choose ANY offensive minded Aura out there and still be successful. To me, there is nothing more you could ask for in a Melee PvM build.

Now, ive thrown up an outline of one of my personal builds that i believe fits ALL your needs/wants Superhal. Hopefully it will give you an idea for a character YOU would like to play. Just remember, making your OWN character that YOU enjoy is far more important than having a character that can get to "hellforge in under 24 hours". :thumbsup:

15. [wnl]CoffinDodger

[wnl]CoffinDodger IncGamers Member

The most fun to play char I have in 1.10 is my ww assasin, great fun to play. Has fast speed with BOS and can be a great party playing char due to cloak and mind blast etc. Takes some pretty high end gear (chaos claw, fury claw, bramble )but she can go anywhere in the game and i use her to do hell quests for friends and she's great for killing the DClone too. when your bored with baal runs and questing go off to a pvp game and duel for a while. You need a char that finds alot of gold as the repairs can be pricey.
    The most fun I've had with a char in 3 years, no doubt ! :clap:

16. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

if you want a flexable character you want some form of a pally ... im not a big pally fan but i just made one and they seem very flexable and im having fun with it ...