Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bored Again

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Excalibur, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Excalibur

Excalibur IncGamers Member

Hey guys,

It's not been a long time since I re-installed d2 but it seems like I am quite bored again. I did a few improvements and gained plenty levels on some high leveled characters after my return but it seems like I lost my mood to keep playing again.

Creating a new toon is always refreshing and keeps me busy for a while but once I reach hell it feels like I return back to where I started and even worse. It gives me the feeling that I created another useless character because there is absolutely no luxury to gear them up all properly. Out of the 26 characters I currently have perhaps 6 of them can be considered in quite a good shape.

I have two pure MF characters. I am quite pleased having an enormous amount of mf but still being able to kill mobs quite quickly even on p8 setting. However, I always have been very very unlucky with my finds and literally those characters haven't paid off at all.

An Amazon Lvl 93 - 629 MF
    A Sorceress Lvl 91 - 670 MF

I know that doesn't mean that uniques should drop often and I am quite pleased that this is how d2 works but
    my time is limited and after all this time it's quite discouraging and I am quite tired of farming. Sometimes a high rune drops out of nowhere that gives you a motivation to keep going but then again that doesn't happen very often.

Trading on these forums is something that perhaps helped me in keep playing d2. I managed to obtain items and runes and dressed my characters in a way that I wouldn't even imagine I would. It wasn't an easy choice to start trading back then but I can certainly say it helped me for good and made the game even more interesting. But there's not much activity there either now.

So what about you. What do you do when you get bored of d2?
    I will possibly switch to Titan Quest soon.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  2. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

Switch to another game for a bit if not put gaming on hold all together. I always come back to D2 at some point be it for a little while or more.

3. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

I highly recommend time traveling. Learning the ins and outs of all the older versions of the game and taking full advantage of the many, many glitches throughout D2's history. There's quite a few items on my bucket list that can only be found in older patches. Not to mention it's a way different game, almost like you're a new player all over again! Plus if you get bored of an older patch, or find an exceptionally awesome item, you can always forward items to a newer version. There's a big FAQ floating around here for Bliss, that's the version switcher I use.

4. Excalibur

It happens to me as well but at my current state there's not much left to do for me in-game. Actually there's a lot to do but unless I get some new gear it's going to be like this. :(

Hmm you are right here and now that I think of I do have a 1.07 sorceress and I feel like I would like to play her! :D

But to tell you the truth I struggled last time to make my 1.07 run and I don't even remember how I did it. I tried the Bliss switcher but I think it didn't work for me and I used another way. Don't really remember but just thinking of the trouble I might go through gives me a headache.

5. felixbavaria

felixbavaria IncGamers Member

Play single-pass untwinked, so that every S/U and rune find can be game changing and min-maxing your gear setup becomes much more interesting (in my opinion). Play hardcore. Play tournaments.

BTW, I tried Titan Quest but found it quite boring from the start. To each his own, I suppose ...

kestegs and Pb_pal like this.
  6. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

This completely rejuvenated the game for me. It really is a completely different experience.

kestegs likes this.
  7. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

+1 for tournaments or similar challenge projects

might not be your thing if you dont enjoy a 'slow meticulous' playstyle though.

8. Excalibur

I totally agree with you here. It's definitely a totally new experience. I've done it in the past plenty times but I don't think I have the patience or the time to devote on something like that again. I am trying to convince a friend to start playing together from scratch. We once did it years ago and it was damn fun.

I've seen many D2 players bash TQ. I don't understand why. To my eyes TQ is boring as much as D2 is. There's something in me that puts D2 above TQ but I have to admit that TQ is an awesome game is the best alternative for D2 fans.

I do enjoy this type of projects but sadly I would not spend my limited free time on those. :/

9. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

If you're bored with the game then that's fine and happens to everyone and just take a break, no worries. If you come back, that's cool and if you never find your way back to d2 then that's also cool.

But, in regards to your mf characters, if you're running them at p8 you're not running them properly. A mf sorc should always run p1, in fact for mf p1 is always best because killing fast is your #1 priority for mf and higher player settings provides almost no improvement in your drops. For an amazon maybe you bump things up to p3 or p5 because she's so insanely less efficient than the sorc and it gives a little added benefit from the collateral mob kills, but it's not optimal on any front and p8 is just not where you want to be in any case.

I have no idea how you rate your characters and what their gear is, but getting completely reasonable gear for each class does not take long at all. If you feel like your characters must have Windforce/Death's Fathom/Death's Web tier gear then yeah you're in for a tough time but kitting a char to clear Hell without being a slog shouldn't be too time consuming. But again, because of expectations one person's easy clear may be another's interminable punishment (ie I would say most of my Exceptional Sept chars had a pretty easy time clearing Hell, while others think anything less than a dual Grief Enigma barb is painfully slow.)

So if you're just burnt out on the game, then of course that's fair and fine, but if you're just frustrated that things are taking longer than you think they should, you definitely can optimize the process more.

10. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

When I get bored of D2 I'm not worried the slightest. I've so many other things I'm more than happy to spend my time with. D2 is the only game I've been playing since long time, and I've zero interest to get into another one :p

lvl 91 sorc and 93 amazon.. if those are from p8 playing, you've barely got started. MFing for the rarest items takes crazy amount of time. And as maaareek said, it is better run p1 if you're hunting for the sets/uniques. Although if your amazon is running around with infinity merc, you'll probably be able to kill just about as fast with higher settings. I ran mine p7-8 for exp and runes besides the S/U items, I believe Javazon to be right there on top with poison nec when it comes to high p-settings pit runners.

BlizzBallerSorc likes this.
  11. BlizzBallerSorc

BlizzBallerSorc IncGamers Member

HC untwinked really changed the game for me, but then I was devastated over deeds.
    Still, it was so fun I may have to return to it. Completely changes the game.

coju, Southpaw8668 and Pb_pal like this.
  12. BlizzBallerSorc

BlizzBallerSorc IncGamers Member

This is also true for me. Right now I've lost a bit of interest in D2, but it's been good because I have a lot going on. I will come back sometime, and D2 will still be there, exactly the same as when I left it.

That's one nice thing about it--it's not like working out. I compete in powerlifting, and if I quit hitting the gym for a while, I go backwards. When I finally get back in the gym, I'm super weak and have to start rebuilding. SP D2 is nice in that your chars don't get weaker if you take a break, and your items don't disappear.

coju likes this.
  13. Excalibur

I don't think I will ever stop playing d2 but each break seems to be longer until the return!

I have to admit that I never run at p1 with my mf characters. How come higher settings don't help though? Don't they drop more items thus increasing your chances of getting better ones?

I've never made a single run at the pits. Perhaps I start farming there for a change. Might increase my interest.

That's what I love about SP. My progress is never lost. :)

14. nulio

nulio IncGamers Member

Excalibur, you can always play with the D2 drop calculator and check the difference in odds for all players settings. Then compare that with the time difference you need to run each setting and do the math. That will be the best answer :)

The odds difference from p1 and p7 is low, but the time difference is huge for some builds, so which is better?
    (and isn't p8 just for xp? p7 gives same mf odds iirc)

15. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

Higher players settings reduces the no drop chance for a given monster. For the main source of items, unique monsters, there isn't a no drop chance as they always drop the same amount of items, so higher players settings merely increases the amount of time to kill them. For bosses (Andariel, Mephisto, etc.) there is a no drop chance on some of their drops which is reduced at higher player settings, but even then p1 is best unless you lose almost no killing time raising the players setting.

Higher players settings does increase the amount of items minions and regular monsters drop, but that increase is negligible because of the utterly abysmal odds for those items to drop unique or set items (remember that unique, superunique and boss monsters cannot drop white items, which is by far the most likely drop from a regular monster or minion and is what makes up the lion's share of the superiority of unique monsters as MF targets) and the limited drop pool of regular monsters (a regular monster can't drop anything with a quality level higher than 85 at the highest). Builds like Poison Nova necroes and Javazons and the like run higher player settings because they kill the screen, but as actual MF characters they're drastically less efficient than a barb or sorc because a screen full of regular monsters and minions amounts to effectively nothing in terms of item drops (they are useful for runes and other junk class items, but it's far, far, far more effective to target items and runes separately because of how efficiently certain targets provide each).

So, to recap, for area runs and Pindle runs (which are where you want to focus for MF runs anyway) p1 is always best because there is no bonus gained from going higher on your main targets and only the tiniest of marginal gains on collateral damage. For Mephisto runs p3 is fine if you do them basically as fast as p1 runs (I mean the margin is like 10% slower, maybe a little more, but rather slim regardless) but Meph is really only a good target until you get some basics to move on to AT/Pits/Pindle, where the actual MF focus lies.

BlizzBallerSorc and XyleneCyanol like this.
  16. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Well, my no-MF strafer does Pits at p7, just because it's even less of a challenge otherwise. I played her for two hours yesterday and I don't think she had to drink even a potion.

Killing hell Andariel and Mephisto with a sorc takes just a few seconds, so I think it's worth to deal with them at p3. I guess we agree that sorcs are best against these two when not considering fancy equipment like Engima. With a "level 3 around the corner" map and applying the moat trick, you can defeat Meph with a naked cold sorc at basically no risk.

17. Excalibur

You mean this one?
    http://dropcalc.silospen.com/item.php

Hmmm, I heavily relied on the whole minion packs instead of the unique monster. Makes much more sense now and thanks for the rest useful info.

18. nulio

nulio IncGamers Member

19. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

That one has chests as well. Nice!

*bookmarks*