Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Book of Cain discussion (Book/Game Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Risingred, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

Book of Cain discussion (Book/Game Spoilers)

Howdy.

Figured we could make a thread dedicated to talking about the book of cain because holy crap is it extensive.
    It seems to me like this book wasn't intended to be released so far ahead of the game, as if they actually believed the 2011 release date window themselves.

As a warning, this post is also going to contain speculation based upon information that I datamined in the beta client's numerous patches, but these portions will be under spoiler tags. Feel free to talk about anything in the book, though.

I've just started reading it, as I have been playing/gathering info for the wiki/working, but the introductory letter to Leah is very interesting all on its own.

Some quotes I'm referencing:

So...begin spoilers:

Ok.

A few quotes are pulled to display the time that Cain is writing this: during the game. He likely wrote this letter while the player is off in Wortham, or around there. The book itself, no, but the letter to Leah, the prologue, certainly.

Cain makes numerous references in the letter of his own death. It's pretty much sure that he's going to die in Act I, probably not horribly long after the beta ends. This is after the player finds "the Stranger" and brings him to Deckard Cain.
    This provides even more confirmation that the stranger is Tyrael, but now Cain mentions a sacrifice he had to make. Tyrael appears to be a black human in the game, similar in appearance to the paladin from D2, actually. But all we've seen of him so far is his icon, just his face. One he is armored, one he is unarmored.

A question worth asking is why the presence of Tyrael is "corrupting" the land by re-awakening the "evils" such as the skeleton king and all that. A shard of his sword lands inside of the Drowned Temple, which is filled with Nephalem ghosts re-enacting their final battle in a continuous cycle. The ghosts were awakened by the piece of the blade and the nephalem ghost you gives you the quest--Alaric--he is not happy about this.

Next is Leah. So she's had prophetic dreams, much like in the black soulstone cinematic, but Cain says they are not a certain future.

The Prophecy:

Angel - their aspect (what was said about them in the prophecy)

Auriel - Hope (will be swallowed by despair)
    Imperius - Valor (shall turn to wrath)
    Ithereal - Fate (lies shattered forever)
    Malthael - Wisdom (shall be lost)
    Tyrael - Justice (falls upon the world of men --the fallen star)

Not sounding too good for the Angiris Council.
    This is going to be extra-spoilery:
    In the game files, there's a lot of references to fallen angel mobs that you'll be fighting, fountains of corruption that you interact with, and "Diablo's" goal is to corrupt the high heavens.
    Rakanoth is the Demon Lord of Anguish. Wrath sure sounds like a demon lord.

So in this scenario (set forth by the prophecy) heaven is not just being invaded--it's being obliterated. Angels are falling, Izual returns, archangels are being corrupted like Izual was. There's an event with Imperius outside of the diamond gates, the entrance to Heaven. Tyrael is there, too. I'm thinking that Imperius falls, maybe by someone using the black soulstone or something, and turns to "wrath".

And there's a choice that the player has to make near the end of the game. There's an item modifier that increases your "corruption" rating. So maybe it's you who decides the fate of the high heavens. But there's a lot unanswered here.

Keeping the "choice" the player has to make in mind, it's curious that Cain mentions that he sees Leah standing between the light and the darkness, and there's a "corrupted" version of Leah in the game files as well.

I was gonna keep this short but I guess that flew out the window.

2. Scorch Hellfire

Scorch Hellfire IncGamers Member

Re: Book of Cain discussion (Book/Game Spoilers)

Geez... looks like the Angiris Council is totally effed before we even get to meet them properly...

Seems like Auriel may become Rakanoth as his concept art calls him the Lord of Despair and that Imperius may become one of Azmodan's lieutenants as Wrath is one of the seven deadly sins... Also sounds like Malthael will already be dead and Ithrael may be almost dead or perhaps has gone insane...

3. Brokenstorm

Brokenstorm IncGamers Member

Rakanoth is the the Lord of anguish.
    Despair sounds more like Diablo to me.

4. DiabloBaal

DiabloBaal IncGamers Member

DUDE when is this thing going to be released properly? Diablowiki and Wikipedia still say "It will be published by insight editions on 13 December"....... WTF its 22nd already and still no updates or reviews apart from you guys and some youtube guys.

5. Namik

Namik IncGamers Member

I've pre-ordered it on 12th December on bookdepository.com, and it has been shipped 20th December. Hopefully I'll get it before New Year. But now they have second wave of pre-orders and release date for 28th December,

6. DiabloBaal

any chance that somebody will update the diablowiki page regarding the Book of Cain. they still say the the release date is 25th Nov...X-D

7. Risingred

Anyone can edit them. But I'm not doing it on christmas. :p

8. marshmallow

marshmallow IncGamers Member

Liked how they added the detail of Diablo turning back into Aidan after his defeat in D2 (a la the prince in D1) and that maybe he was also mentally battling Diablo along with the adventurers.

After looking at all the primes side by side, it hit me how Azmodan = Baal, Belial = Mephisto with the floating/4 arms thing. Lazy artists are lazy.

I like how Cain explicitly says human souls probably don't go to Heaven or Hell.

Trag'Oul was depicted like a Lovecraftian elder god with a vag-head full of ribbony tentacles.

Page 92 minor new detail of Zoltun Kulle being the one to suggest Tal Rasha use his own body to complete the stone and contain Baal. Was he evil then? Guess it doesn't really matter. Tyrael was all like cool story bro, let's roll.

Foundation of Zakarum retconned from Akarat being visited by the angel Yaerius to seeing a psychic fireworks vision of Uldyssian's sacrifice. I like how, among with other little tweaks, they try to make it seem like this is just Cain's opinion and that he differs from "historical accounts." Like there's a chance this isn't set in stone now.

On page 113 is that Wirt's peg leg being crushed by the demon? There's a little scribbling of him earlier.

In D2 I always wondered why Baal and Diablo didn't corrupt Tyrael instead of trapping him in Tal Rasha's chamber. Maybe Izual wanted to be corrupted? Easier to corrupt an Angel in Hell vs. Sanctuary? Real answer of course is that it was in the script. But I wonder how they'll portray

Angels being corrupted in Heaven in D3...black soul stone? Which apparently was made by Mr. Kulle, instead of being found by him.

As an aside, in these types of stories it's funny to me how the bad side can always corrupt the good but not vice versa. Evil > good.

Says that Baal's spirit/stone were explodinated in the World Stone and went to the Black Abyss with his brothers.

On page 127, underlined even, it says that Tyrael's body "was disintegrated" like Baal's. What's with the random story of the Jacob kid using his sword? Potential story/NPC in D3? Was it any of the fiction books? Didn't really follow those.

Lilith is crazy powerful (being able to slaughter by herself hordes of angels/demons/nephalem, she may as well be a Prime) and her whereabouts are completely unknown. Guess being the daughter of a Prime is nice. Maybe she'll return in D3 and awaken Nephalem power again? Maybe in an Xpac.

Over/under odds of fighting Tathamet aka The Prime Evil at some point in the series? (Azmodan says he wants to be this in the BSS but we know he fails -- maybe Diablo is more successful) Guess it's a problem because he's the size of the universe. Maybe in the World of Diablo.

Many areas of Heaven were described. We're going to get to see trees with leaves made of light? Bottomless pools of emotion that Malthael likes to look at? Speaking of, I'd love to play as him in any random action game -- he's got the angel hood and tentacle light wings and giant scythes. My inner 12 year old is pleased.

Bothered me how they kept calling Andy/Duriel twins. Since when? Especially since they're like oh, not in the human sense where they look similar. Obviously, since one is a giant hydra maggot and the other is hentai fodder. Just say they're allies or two sides of the same coin (mental vs. physical torment).

More backstory to the Amazonian isles added. Philios was a male nephalem, Lycander was a female angel, they fell in love, Lycander fled after Lilith slaughtered the renegades, the lovebirds kept in touch using the Sightless Eye artifact, Lycander was afraid the other angels would find out about Sanctuary and ditched him and the Eye, then the Amazons got the sightless eye and let them somewhat see the future. I wonder if that could show up in the games somewhere.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  9. humungous

humungous IncGamers Member

Random Speculation but hear me out plz:

I believe Izual is STILL a rogue angel. And he is the person who is Diablo's emissary inside the High Heavens at the moment. In D2 it was said that his good spirit was only trapped in an evil demon body...but lore can be retconned easily.

Thus, the D2's hero's primary "mistake" (like the D1 hero jamming the soulstone in his head) which will have repurcussions on what happens in D3, would be when he/she released Izual as an angel back to the High Heavens. Heaven accepted him back because they believed the hero had "freed" him. Now after 20 years, when Diablo prepares to attack the Heavens, Izual will be the one to open its gates from the inside.

10. popenfresh

popenfresh IncGamers Member

I like this twist. The High Heavens have had it far too easy in the Diablo universe. All we've done so far is pummel demons whilst the angels were nothing more than mildly interested onlookers. Sure they're awesome and stuff but I feel it's about time Hell gave those snooty bastards a run for their money.

Diablo corrupting the High Heavens makes him a far more credible and menacing threat than he ever was in the previous games. Sure, this plot is less sublet than the previous titles and Blizz will probably mess up on the presentation and story-telling side. But at least is sounds cool on paper.

I have found Metzen actually CAN come up with good ideas and cool concepts. But I feel the way he chooses to present and articulate said ideas has degraded immensely since WoW IMO(maybe even since WC). Or maybe it's just me.

11. DiabloBaal

not to sound racist and not expecting anyone to sound racist, but Amazon really mess up us people in south asia. Price wayyyyyyyy to steep..........
    The shipping cost is what kills me not the price of the book and I was really trying to get this in the Christmas season.
    Can anybody suggest a good way to get this here apart from some relative bringing it over. I don't have any relatives in Western Countries, only in the Arabian peninsula, and I think it wasn't released in the Middle east. Right?

12. Brokenstorm

Is there anymore info on how the Zakarum came to be and how Mephisto corrupted them?
    There is this notion that Mephisto had his soulstone shattered and implanted in the hand of the coucil members and I'm not sure if it should be given any credibility (It's from ArrearSummit and most of the info there is hit or miss)

13. Mewy

Mewy IncGamers Member

14. humungous

@Popenfresh: I believe Blizzard's story presentation is still one of the best in business. Look at SC2, they made such a detailed tale of SUCH a fundamentally weak story. I mean, in one line, it was about capturing an artefact and making Kerrigan human again. But they actually made it an engaging experience.

I am pretty sure that given the awesome story premise and also Bliz's present financial uncertainty, Blizzard will not blow this one up.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  15. Doomscream

Doomscream IncGamers Member

That's also in Cain's Act 3 dialogues, so it's canon, but I don't know if it was mentioned in the Book of Cain...

16. Risingred

That's...not a good thing. In fact, it's quite insulting.

I lol'd and then I disgreed. but this thread is about the book of Cain, not how bad Blizzard is at writing.

Mephisto and the Zakarum Church: there's bits about it in the book of Cain, but one thing I don't remember hearing elsewhere is that apparently Mephisto took over the body of the Que-Hagen, like Diablo did with the Dark Wanderer, or Baal did Tal Rasha. There's bits as well about the foundations of the church and its origin.

I've been wanting to go through and make a note of every sentence that ends with either an ellipses, or a comment like "but we don't know what happened with that" because it's totally expansion material.

17. Brokenstorm

no it's not I checked myself
    http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Deckard_Cain

18. Doomscream

Doomscream IncGamers Member

Wans't this in the manual as well? It sounds way to familiar to be found only on Arreat Summit...
    Edit: ok I checked the manaul, nothing there either... So that leaves the Arreat Summit info is either a hit, or a miss :D

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  19. Flux

Flux Administrator

I've received numerous emails from people who got their copies already, while others are still waiting. And you've seen the various online retailers changing release dates, shipping dates, etc. Seems like there weren't enough copies or were distribution issues, and the books are thus trickling out erratically.

20. humungous

Mephisto's soulstone was never shattered before D2 events. Its just that Mephisto began to fight his imprisonment much before Diablo or Baal. So he corrupted a lot of the Zakarum who were living above him, but not directly through bits of a soulstone.

Regarding my previous theory about Izual betraying Heaven all over once again:

I also noted this pic of Izual on the official fanart page: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/media/fanart/?keywords=&view#/fanart-0058. Why is it titled "Izual the Betrayer"? Maybe because of the original betrayal (telling prime evils about the soulstones). Or maybe because Blizzard wants to drop us a hint saying that there is more betrayal to come in D3.