Bonemancer vs Poisonmancer

smartdot

Diabloii.Net Member
Bonemancer vs Poisonmancer

Ok so heres the deal:

I used to be pretty good at d2, but took a break for a few years. All my characters have expired. I want to start over using a necro, as i had fun with a bonemancer before (it had full trangs, loved looking all skele-like). I was wondering which would be better to start over with a bonemancer or a poisonmancer. If neither is a good option, could you please suggest another class and build. I absolutely do not want to be a summon necro. just not my thing.

thx

RxT

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Bonemancer vs Poisonmancer

If you want to use Trang Set then I say go with Poison. The gloves add Poison damage, and the shield ( with 2 or 3 items ) gives -25% to enemy res.

If you're just going to use the usual uniques / runewords then I'd say both are pretty equal in terms of fun and power. It really depends on what your play-style is. PvM or PvP? Both?

//EDIT I use a Poison Trang Necro in PvP and it's fun as hell. It's the best when people start freaking out when they lost to a Trang Necro. :D

smartdot

Diabloii.Net Member

are both build item intensive? would i be better off to make a different char?

mephiztophelez

Diabloii.Net Member

if your just returning to D2, i'd suggest building a summoner. they are totally gear independent.

Skullbash

Diabloii.Net Member

I'd say go poison, your killing power wont be as high without death's web, but it's still doable.

smartdot

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the info everyone. Ive decided to hang around few free games and let that decide which character i make.

galzohar

Diabloii.Net Member

Bonemancer does quite more damage/second for 1-few mobs, but poisonmancer has much bigger AOE and a quite a few spare points that can go into maxing CE (which a bonemancer can't do) or even getting skeletons (although they'll be weak for a poisoner as you'll only max them at lvl99 while having (aside from poison nova) only 1 point in clay golem, golem mastery, LR and prereqs.

LR is actually worth a couple points, at least without massive +all skill gear, especially when you focus on +P&B to up your PN and CE. A few more % damage are nice as well as a bigger radius so you don't have to cast multiple LR casts to cover a group that PN/CE can cover in 1 cast.

Overall poisonmancer imo would be a faster killer regardless of gear, but might not be the best MFer if that's what you're after. Trag's gloves+belt+shield combo should be pretty cheap to get and (along with some random +P&B items) is plenty in order to get through the game great, and most likely faster than a bone nec with bigger AOE on both your main attack and CE.

Disadvantages of poison is a somewhat lower damage/second on a single monster and lower CE damage (due to LR instead of amp), but imo it pales compared to the AOE of poison.

Jednowlosy

Diabloii.Net Member

Disadvantages of poison is a somewhat lower damage/second on a single monster and lower CE damage (due to LR instead of amp), but imo it pales compared to the AOE of poison.
Are you sure about it?

What's the max spirit/spear damage, 6k? 7k?

Full powered nova also does ~6-7k

You can cast a couple spears/spirits in one seconds with enough fcr, but death's web, trang set, poison facets and lower resist take almost any monster's resists to -100%, excluding immunes (those get reduced to ~0%). So you deal double damage, in fact.

And its radious is sick.

Bonemancer has the advantage of enigma, though (poisonmancer needs bramble to be really effective, and bramble is a problematic rune word, because of the length of the poison damage interval. 25-50.. such a pain when you roll ~30 for the third time.)

NumtyDoo

Diabloii.Net Member

My nova is 10k, with enigma. -90% to enemy resists, and -66% lower resist.

zooply

Diabloii.Net Member

You should try logging back in with your expired characters. You may be surprised to find that you can probably take off that 'expired' part.

Jednowlosy

Diabloii.Net Member

True, I have recycled a couple of "expired" characters, even though they were in the "expired" state 2 months.. one char was impossible to restore, though.

NumtyDoo: FP nova does 14k, I meant "damage per second" as the displayed damage actually is applied throughout 2 seconds.

paul leung

Diabloii.Net Member

Are you sure about it?

What's the max spirit/spear damage, 6k? 7k?

Full powered nova also does ~6-7k

You can cast a couple spears/spirits in one seconds with enough fcr, but death's web, trang set, poison facets and lower resist take almost any monster's resists to -100%, excluding immunes (those get reduced to ~0%). So you deal double damage, in fact.

And its radious is sick.

Bonemancer has the advantage of enigma, though (poisonmancer needs bramble to be really effective, and bramble is a problematic rune word, because of the length of the poison damage interval. 25-50.. such a pain when you roll ~30 for the third time.)
I always feel that if only for pvm,then put on some average(even low) gears then you are ok to finish the game.
As for pvp, spear damage is likely somewhere as 4.2 to 6k depends on gears.
The clear advantage of posinmancer is to catch player unprepare to stack posin resist.However as the nova wouldn't put enermy into fhr lock,u need to get in/out real fast,so i think engima is almost as a must(tele and 45% frw).
Beside against any good ppl,they still have a couple of sec to hurt you down even after they get nova'ed.So i think speed > power,ie engima > bramble.
That is why although my bonemancer can do up to 6k,but my normal set up is doing only 4.3k damage to get the speed/fhr/resist

Jednowlosy

Diabloii.Net Member

I don't know anything about pvp. When it comes to pvm..

I always feel that if only for pvm,then put on some average(even low) gears then you are ok to finish the game.
You can finish this game with your bare hands afaik. But the real pleasure is to make a char that owns. At least for me ;P

galzohar

Diabloii.Net Member

Taking +15 P&B skills for example, perfect bramble and trang gloves, nova does 8352 damage, or 4176/sec. Even with -100 enemy poison resist it's just back to 8352 damage/sec. Any of those items missing and you're looking at quite less damage.

Bone spirit with enough fast cast will do slightly more, not to mention as a non-poisoner you could get higher +skills boosting it a bit more. Still not much more than nova and therefore I'm still a nova fan, even if you don't have all that amazing poison gear the higher AOE of PN is imo very well worth the lower damage/second. I only have 3-piece trang, 2 skiller charms and a +3 P&B circlet with 1 facet and a magic +3P&B +2 PN wand on my single player PN nec and he's awesome. Keep in mind PN scales much more with gear (increases a bit more with +skills and has the option of great +poison damage and -poison resist items), but again it's very well worth it imo even if your gear isn't at the point where it does close damage to bone spirit due to the huge AOE.