Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bonemancer Questions

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Xiamet, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Bonemancer Questions

Ok...my Bonemancer's shaping up pretty nicely on paper, but I have a few questions before I commit to developing this char:

1) By clvl 80, he'll have max Bone Spirit/Spear and Bonewall, with MarrowWalks figuring into synergies. 1 Point in all Bone related pre-req's, and 1 point each down the right and left side of the Curses tree.

All told, he'll have about 19 points left over, which I'd like to plunk into a small but functional Skele army. How should I divy the points between SM and RS? Is it better to pump RS, or Mastery? Keep in mind I'll have about +11 to the Summons tree. I was thinking maybe a 10/9 split but not sure if lesser points in one and more in another would be better. And even then, which skill should get more points?

2) Is Lower Resist worth it if I'm not a Poisonmancer? Does LR work with magic immunes vs Bone Spirit/Spear?

3) Ring suggestions for a Bonemancer other than 2 soj's, which I can't seem to get ahold of. I have two rares with 10% FCR and some other mods, but are any of the uniqyes suited for a Bonemancer?

4) Merc - I'm thinking of going with an Act 1 Fire or Cold Rogue and slapping on her a Bloodraven's, which does Exploding Arrow damage...or a WitchWild String with Shael/Nef for the slvl 20 Magic Arrow (killer vs PI's), %Deadly Strike and Amp Damage. Maybe a Rattlecage for CB effect, and a Blackhorn's or Guillaume's??

Or maybe a HF or might Merc instead, to help augment my small Skele army?

Thanks in advance for any feedback folks...

-X

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

1) If you have +11 I would say go 10/9 SM/RS.

2) LR does not increase Magic damage, so it gets no points.

3) Not really. Maybe Ravenfrost.

4) Act 2 HF Merc. It gives the safety needed.

3. Vilencia

Vilencia IncGamers Member

1.I would add golems into the picture... My bonemancer uses marrows as well and has golems/skeletons. I would go with 1 into all golems (4), 1 into golem mastery (5), 1 into summon resist (6), 7 SM and 6 into RS. This gives a very strong golem to tank along with the skeletons, it worked well for me and is useful for dueling.
    2.Same as above

3.Wisp projector for mf/charges/light absorb is a nice but expensive choice, raven frost for cold or a bul kathos for +1 skills and life bonus

4.Same as above

4. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

I plan on having a Clay golem, though I wasn't going to put points in FG or IG, and instead use all other points (19 total) into Skeles/mastery. Mind you we're talking clvl 80 here, and I can definitely gain more levels beyond that to pump up these minions even more. I just want a plan of action skill-wise for clvl 80 so I can start my Bonemancer with certainty and no mistakes, as this will be a bit tight with points.

Thanks for the suggestions...yea, i like HF merc myself, and with a small but capable skele army, the HF will definitely come in handy. Was considering Might just because without RS and SM being maxed, the army might be a little weak for hell...

-X

5. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

Another alternative is to use enough points to get 1 into revive. Since revives are stronger than low-level skellies, you can probably use them during a battle... if you ever have to walk anywhere though, sayonara... they're lost kids at the mall.

6. Mad Mantis

You are not a true Summoner, so the army will always be a little weak. They are there for support, not as the primary means of attack.

7. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

this is why defiance or hf mercs would be better to use in this case than mght mercs

8. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

I primarly want to small skele army for getting through Normal and early NM without too much hassle, and then start kicking in with Bone skills and curses to do most of the work. Bonewall/Prison will probably end up being my main meatshields, and Attract/Dim Vision my main crowd crontrols. Still...a small army of skeles doing amped damage isn't bad either.

I'm thinking maybe a 9/10 split with SM/RS respectively. After clvl 80, I can then pump either skill to beef up the army.

I'm definitely going with HF merc, as I can up Skele/merc damage with Amp or Decrepify, and HF is always good to slow things up if they get too hectic.

-X

9. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

Don't forget 1 point for Summon resists =D. Helps skellies and golems.

I have level 20 SM and level 19 Raise Skeleton Warrior (6 each, then plus skills), and they are already more than sufficient for 1-3 player hell games. Getting more would be better for higher player games though.

Why not max Teeth? It's a fun skill... lol. Useful in duelling too, if you ever do.

10. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

I have a pvm necro that I play only with my gf's barb (in priv games) He is quite damaging, but he doesn't use skellies, rather, he has 1 point into revive and 1 point into skeleton mastery. +Skills makes this a viable choice for temporary meat sheilds. They don't die unless their revived from slow monsters and they lose the screen, or if their 3 minutes are up (my favorite revives are the bats from act 3). I also put a point into FG as he kind of works as my walking "attract" curse to line up monsters for bonespear (he doesn't die very often, unlike what people usually say, in fact, he usually doesn't get hit... :lol: ), but I use CG on bosses/tight spaces (the maggot lair comes to mind).

11. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Andrew - I don't really like to duel...I'm on dialup and I'm the one who usually ends up retrieving his corpse.

Teeth? I dunno...my build's kinda tight with point distribution, and for PvM, Teeth doesn't cut it for me as much as having a mobile group of meatshields who not only take hits, but dish it out as well. Also, betwen curses and Bone Spear/Spirit...i figure I'll have enough spammable damage happening.

Does Teeth do comparable damage to the other Bone attacks? It would be nice to have a widespread spammable attack like a sorc, but it's have to do some comparable damage for me to max it. Any insight out there from you maxed Teethers out there?

-X

12. Mad Mantis

If you max Teeth without synergies:

21 Teeth
    Magic Damage: 23-31
    Mana Cost: 12.5

If you max all the synergies:

21 Teeth
    Magic Damage: 299-403

If you use Marrowwalk:

21 Teeth
    Magic Damage: 343-463

13. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

With plus 11 skills, and marrowwalk synergies alone:
    24 teeth
    Magic Damage: 270-351
    Mana Cost: 18

With maxed bone spear (plus marrowwalk and 11 skills):
    24 teeth
    Magic Damage: 407-528

With maxed bone spear and spirit (plus marrowwalk and 11 skills):
    24 teeth
    Magic Damage: 543-705

TOTAL AVERAGE DAMAGE OUTPUT: [(543+705)/2]*24 = 14976 magic damage for 18 mana. Pretty sweet eh?

With maxed bone spear,Bone wall and spirit (plus marrowwalk and 11 skills):
    24 teeth
    Magic Damage: 680-882

TOTAL AVERAGE DAMAGE OUTPUT: [(680+882)/2]*24 = 18744 magic damage for 18 mana.

For the full synergised teeth, it will take 82 points into PnB tree. Obtained at level... uhh... 71... plus quests and stuff.... i think. A big load of points. and will significantly weaken your summoning tree... lol.

14. Mad Mantis

The total average damage output looks nice, but only one tooth can hit an enemy at the same time.

15. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

With fcr, that last setup looks pretty good Andrew...and could probably do well in hell. Just wondering if going the AD/CE route might not produce the same results and in a shorter period? I'm going to test the Teeth setup you suggested in SP Hell, 1 and 8 player settings and see how it goes. I like the look of Teeth, and it's still not too late for me to max it at this point. Now if I can just get my hands on Marrowwalks... :)

-X